• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Everyone takes a knife with them, right ?

There are a few other allows that are very good in corrosive environments. "Talonite" (Stellite 6BH) work very well, and Ocean Master makes a few dive knives and even a folder from "Beta Titanium".
Personally I've had good luck using a baked on coating called Molyresin on high carbon, non stainless blades.

For anyone that paddles salt or tidal waters (or ignores knife maintenance like me) something truly corrosion-proof is worth the cost, especially in a PFD lash tab rescue knife. The inexpensive Chinese SS crap and Byrd Cara Cara stuff just isn’t worth it, especially with a lash tab folder.

I rarely if ever need to flick open a PFD folder, but I’d like it to not be rustycrusty stuck when I do need it.

I've had good results from the guys who use them. They're just simply knives, 1095 that's Molyresin coated with micarta handles. Sheath retention is a big issue with me for knives (and handguns), that's why I don't make sheaths. I have a few kydex guys I trust and two for leather,

Attachments

• photo11322.jpg
    photo11322.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 0
For anyone that paddles salt or tidal waters (or ignores knife maintenance like me) something truly corrosion-proof is worth the cost, especially in a PFD lash tab rescue knife. The inexpensive Chinese SS crap and Byrd Cara Cara stuff just isn’t worth it, especially with a lash tab folder.

I rarely if ever need to flick open a PFD folder, but I’d like it to not be rustycrusty stuck when I do need it.

yup, I had a pivot and a few screws rust on a stainless folder -almost like they grabbed some from another bin

My favorite knife burned up, more like melted, when my house burned a few years back. I haven't found a replacement yet but dang the Ripster sure looks good to me and a midnight visit to mem's place might be in order! Mem, you might want to get a safe...a big one! :rolleyes:

I'd think Twice about entering Mem's domain at night ! Besides, He probably Sleeps with the Ripster under his Pillow ! I know I would !

In thought I take no knives but in action I do. Here, let me explain.
We pack two super sharp inexpensive paring knives (with blade guards) with a small cutting board. Why two? It's a belt and suspenders thing. I seldom use these knives for anything else but food prep, and even that doesn't happen very often. But I don't consider these canoe tripping knives so In thought they don't really exist, but in action they reside in the kitchen kit.
We carry two near identical folders in our pockets. The identical part is merely a coincidence. Why two? It's the belt and suspenders thing again. I actually use mine very occasionally, she complains about hers and often slips it into another pocket God knows where for safe keeping, which generally gets found one week later when I'm packing away the gear. So because these folders see little use I consider them not tripping knives in thought, but they are nevertheless almost in action.
Finally, I bought a Mora Companion as a Christmas gift for her a couple years ago. What woman wouldn't love a knife for Christmas? (She already has jumper cables.) As it happens she only likes it marginally more than the folder. So the Mora resides in its sheath on the side of the food barrel where it reminds me daily of my husbandly good taste in gift ideas. But it never actually gets used. A nice shiny sharp blade hanging there just in case, so it is not really my canoe tripping knife
in thought, but it is potentially there in action.
Of all the blades I bring there is one, or two as it happens, that I do consider necessary to canoe tripping both in thought and in action. My axe and/or hatchet. Why both, two of the similar same? Belt and suspenders. I'm a sad man actually. I look for things to do with either one of these tools even if all I really need to do is bend and pick up sticks to break them under my foot for the twig stove. And then there's the saw of course, a Sven type and a pruning type. You shouldn't need to ask why two. Nothing like sawing and tap splitting wood (when all I needed to do was the bending picking up thing) to feel good about fire prep. That, and sitting before a small cheerful fire wondering what knife I'd really like to own and bring, and not really need. I wonder if she'll give me a knife for Christmas this year?

ps . I don't bring both axes, both saws on trips. You do eventually just have to trust your pants won't fall down.

Last edited:
In thought I take no knives but in action I do. Here, let me explain.
We pack two super sharp inexpensive paring knives (with blade guards) with a small cutting board. Why two? It's a belt and suspenders thing. I seldom use these knives for anything else but food prep, and even that doesn't happen very often. But I don't consider these canoe tripping knives so In thought they don't really exist, but in action they reside in the kitchen kit.
We carry two near identical folders in our pockets. The identical part is merely a coincidence. Why two? It's the belt and suspenders thing again. I actually use mine very occasionally, she complains about hers and often slips it into another pocket God knows where for safe keeping, which generally gets found one week later when I'm packing away the gear. So because these folders see little use I consider them not tripping knives in thought, but they are nevertheless almost in action.
Finally, I bought a Mora Companion as a Christmas gift for her a couple years ago. What woman wouldn't love a knife for Christmas? (She already has jumper cables.) As it happens she only likes it marginally more than the folder. So the Mora resides in its sheath on the side of the food barrel where it reminds me daily of my husbandly good taste in gift ideas. But it never actually gets used. A nice shiny sharp blade hanging there just in case, so it is not really my canoe tripping knife
in thought, but it is potentially there in action.
Of all the blades I bring there is one, or two as it happens, that I do consider necessary to canoe tripping both in thought and in action. My axe and/or hatchet. Why both, two of the similar same? Belt and suspenders. I'm a sad man actually. I look for things to do with either one of these tools even if all I really need to do is bend and pick up sticks to break them under my foot for the twig stove. And then there's the saw of course, a Sven type and a pruning type. You shouldn't need to ask why two. Nothing like sawing and tap splitting wood (when all I needed to do was the bending picking up thing) to feel good about fire prep. That, and sitting before a small cheerful fire wondering what knife I'd really like to own and bring, and not really need. I wonder if she'll give me a knife for Christmas this year?

ps . I don't bring both axes, both saws on trips. You do eventually just have to trust your pants won't fall down.

I wonder what would come out of that fine gentlemen if we would dare to ask;" do you use a belt or suspenders...."

I always have a small belt knife on. Started out canoe tripping with my Dad as a kid and never went on a trip without a belt knife, axe and small saw. In those days it was a Buck 105, 2.5#head 28" axe and a sven saw. Now it's a small belt knife, 1.5#head 24" axe and a 21" buck saw, old habits are hard to break. Don't always build fires but would feel ill-equipped without the axe and saw as for the knife don't leave home without it!!

Attachments

• photo11365.jpg
    photo11365.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 0
Those are some beautiful classic knives Rippy, too much of what you see in the custom knife market now is, well, crap.

The Ripster is awewome Mem, but the Hipster tells a story.I can see you losing 100 lbs, growing a beard and wearing a kilt.

I take a cheapo, ten dollar Canadian Tire folder with me. If I lose it its no big deal. I have recently added a machete, just because. Axe and bow saw are decorations now. Any real cutting is done with the Stihl.

I'm always curious what people pick for a knife, if they do, and why.
Growing up I was in the BoyScouts, earned my Eagle. That's always been part of what drives me to the outdoors. I learned how to sharpen a knife in the cubscouts and my "Totin' chip" card is something I remember pretty vividly for some odd reason.
I've been making knives for going on twenty years. From knives for soldiers, police, kitchen knives, japanese style blades, but most of all knives for hunters and campers. I've been lucky in the past five years or so to meet some of the best people in the firearm training commmunity and it's affirmed quite a few things regarding how I approach what I do.
With all of that gobbly gook out of the way I apprecate you all taking time to share.

Attachments

• photo11366.jpg
    photo11366.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11367.jpg
    photo11367.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11368.jpg
    photo11368.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 0
Only because you excellent knife builders are interested, I'll throw my two cents in. I think all of your knives are absolutely beautiful! A fine craft indeed and one I have immense respect for. I'd be proud to carry a beautiful custom knife if only I could afford one like I'd want. Even then I'd have to scuff it up right away so I wouldn't be afraid to ruin the finish! Now collecting is something different, if I ever have the pocketbook for it knives and guns are at the top of the list.

I've carried this big honking Benchmade knife every day for the last 4 years and it simply stays in my pocket when I go tripping. Familiarity is very important IMO. For me an EDC has to be a folder, but having an action as sturdy as this one means it can handle the big fixed-blade jobs like batoning firewood. I have beat the back side of the open blade against hard objects to try and get the lock to fail and so far it has not let loose at all.

I also carry one of the smaller multi-tools in my main pack which also has a knife blade, I believe the one I have now is a Gerber. Third knife when tripping is a fillet knife that gets the nod for most of the kitchen chores as well as fish.

River rescue knife on pfd lash tab. Gerber multi tool in dump bag. Cold Steel SRK on my belt.
Have used each on multi occasions; typically used to help someone else who thinks they'll never have any use for a knife. Same reason I carry 3 sources of light, and fire starters.
I'm one of those who would rather have it and not need it; as opposed to need it and not have it guy.
Have Swiftwater Rescue, Cave rescue, and Fire Department search & rescue team training & experience.

Jester

I always carry a SAK Huntsman or Fieldmaster. If I'm fishing, I'll bring something long to clean them with; Western L66, Fallkniven F1, and a Boker 193 are all prime candidates... There's not really one that "always" goes.

I love using a fixed blade knife but hate everything else about them. Wearing them, finding them in a pack if you don't wear it, etc. I have an embarrassing collection of knives but 5 or so years ago I switched to this Benchmade Griptillian. Now it's the only thing I use for work, everyday and outdoor stuff. It doesn't look "tactical" so there are no raised eyebrows when I use it to slice open a box in the office. I can open it one handed and it really holds an edge. The locking mechanism is the best I've seen.

Capturex.JPG

I keep a stainless steel fishing knife made in Sweden on my life jacket.
We always have a couple of camp knives for cooking and cleaning fish.
I bring an axe but hide it when people start drinking.

Caution. I recently bought a Benchmade folding knife. It has a half serrated blade for cutting lines and ropes. I carried it for use around horses.
The blade is spring loaded and easy to open with one hand in an emergency. A couple of months ago the knife acutally opened and locked in my pocket!
If I fell on it I could be dead. I no longer carry that knife and caution anyone not to carry spring loaded knives in a pocket only in a sheath. .

Do recall which model? I have not seen a spring loaded one

edit: Never mind a found a bunch online. I've never had one

Last edited:
My Akua is always on the PFD, And a leatherman is always on my belt.

Attachments

• photo12384.jpg
    photo12384.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
I carry a folding Schrade lock back knife my kids gave me many years ago. I carry it on my belt and have always been real careful not to drop it over the side of the canoe. Sharp enough to clean fish yet tough enough for light batoning around the campfire.

I sleep better in my tent with it always by my head.

FyaaSI0t_RPVKkNL93W9FsO4qLESRlIhrw9xnUpe2inaMYeeDkuRPQryxp6Nxjr0BJT3TmBD8yx8BwdqVn8it0C1SjnfMAjSqmcEXbogQ2ioZxBFrLrLltir42rApeDV9cNniOrsBfWMwjdUZG4mA62sOYEn1fwiskZ-Z-NYOIapz_RFfqKB5owUssCXBTrj0JnClKmPKVI0Dm-w5AJjozh9iDrcalz7Hitn7SiLKa7boULjqcLux7fZd7opXN1TGM9Qwk1x6lFF1EtYogqnmC-o60zucNXPjgEUAueCfa5wVN0KGHAPSphc0qNncZ9Z29id4QsXLhEeO72kJg3DkafHQ7BehArPEsHfZ21LdFQjyggI9MQFqq2TWR7HjoqDpH3iubUWI8iJ4VytImWR1WfR39Gtadt-0nerDVSpQQ4nmKGePpkvjz8R4_gslJXwWopugA-P7zrfTDPiAdixuOsccbaSwLijpSMecsvVOjkM3a1MurFRwWQfxWrwsep6YFIxyXs0tS9bJBb8UUbMuYzw-RcBVl5-yuu4DdU-Y_0yaBZKVTny7JvW5lvfrcuxrgHo6wrMpYYcIIh-d2pkZbV3gl9HjHHo1rFwYV2Xrnxr1-XIQCylcoPbo0UBeNujdXQ4uWv7pMdBTZagdtL5r8c2B--a51OQDl_0cOXlE3vSP-vS2z6ocZA=w1010-h757-no

SXsWm8odpeLLdyToaTec7R0sIamXZNb7HkYwSsKfdhaIBeVT3gs9g_wPySdWRQA3kRlwyfDZnSvlkvoyHCd_YRVGeNTlgD-4l2uXvU3pZ9UUgiwGg7use89qbstfQk235ezn00Ypx8RCzgq3x9Pcx1f9HNct2suQE49oJmC8odZwuo_KnydBqycKeV5HIr1QBy4vFd-tiCbnjq4zVfaRdbDTPFtrpSDQ_i5LrugRnoWMKD9sxXM_8xMEaDTamIs2J_2IZJLL0m2qbPAZKHjjL8Brwk8C1pTk0eW-9qOSzbi_xwzknsnuryr4fZF8Z2a9M8ZxIbdpqhF8wmv7zn60ZVfOjaHWViDkfO7K8gDJBWkp50qzXy_xSR--fpfzbUtsSAf98EDieY_3hSSqmxfMoPVn8JJGpUztCx8Rzz2TySxeaQQd7tLyZUfBZnjqDycYppTpZPvKeyP3py_FSdIB_VOGKrrMvvatYyZhNBLvFPue8gqNJpQ3Zh6Fmmu37qvI7l4dhgPhlxwFKMA7TbK9y7neyySY64uExbe_ISvNQKJzyhWTFYhDNjYHLmgOm704PY_widnOHQwWuUjOzXgiYSlHYoXs-Kxwzx-qvJU3rkMIQ5MzgcUsung7qmzRfs_cwbXmxJGajnv7BYtPTCLuQHtj7oltU2J4HDIepPnerxk56yMq0MgbYMQ=w1010-h757-no

I always carry at least a Swiss Army Fieldmaster with me, any time I'm in the woods. If conditions/events dictate, I will bring a sheath knife... I have several. My favorite deer skinner is a Fallkniven WM1.
IMG_6916.JPG

If there's fishing involved, it's something with a longer blade, most often a Condor Nessmuk or this Western L66

L-66.jpg

Nice knife seeker. After hearing an account told by a MD on a bear hunt in Alaska where after a fall he watched a companion die due to a fixed blade knife severing his femoral artery I do this--- I line all my fixed blade knife sheaths that aren't hard plastic with thin metal on the sharp side. Pretty easy to do and if properly done, the edge doesn't get dull.

Back