• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Do Canadians Paddle in America?

You beat me to it, Alan. I was just about to respond similarly. On our trips in the Yukon, NWT, Nunavut and northern Manitoba, we have generally not seen many other paddlers at all. But when we do they are generally European, primarily German. Less frequently Swiss, Danish, English, and twice American. Kathleen and I have often wondered why we rarely encounter other Canadians on these northern waters. There was that kayaker from Winnipeg on Great Slave Lake in 2017. Not a canoeist, but a paddler nevertheless.

I sure didn't paddle as many northern rivers as you did, but on every thrip we meet up with canadians, often right from here, people we even know!! As for padding in "America" as far as I'm concern Canada is in America.... I'll stop here I don't want to start a political debate hahahaha

As for padding in "America" as far as I'm concern Canada is in America.... I'll stop here I don't want to start a political debate hahahaha

I am sorry for that; but you are correct. Geographically US Canada and Mexico form North America.
Its a good thing for canoes. They are duty free.thanks to NAFTA.. I don't think that part has been wrecked yet.

The Green River is indeed a very different trip. But spectacular as the hiking can be very remote.

I believe that two of a threesome I met on the Green one trip were Canadian. The Green in Utah is a spectacular desert environment not to be found north of the 49[SUP]th[/SUP] parallel, and the Anasazi didn’t leave cliffside granaries and dwellings that far north.

The scenery and history is mind blowing. The Green is deserving of a visit by any paddler in North America. It may be a flat, moving water Class I float for 100 miles; it should still be a bucket list trip.

The Everglades back country is still splendid for two weeks.

I agree, but how to get there, and what will be open by the time you arrive weeks hence, is another story. Not the ‘Glades, but I believe Rte 1 into the Keys is now restricted access. Florida is done for the year.

Island communities on both coasts, especially the ferried ones, even the drive-to Outer Banks and inland Catskills, are trying their best to discourage flight-from-infested-cities visitors from showing up to self-isolate in their “summer homes”.

Think off-season groceries, hospital capacity and locals who barely tolerate summerfolk in the best of times. Time to just nope outa that.

Everglades City is where Joel is going from. It is not closed. But travel not practical.. I can't get there in one day! And businesses there are closed. But hopefully this is all temporary. We are seeing a huge influx of those escaping Boston and NY. The supermarkets seem to be heading to bare again. Sure they come every year but not in March. At least one island community has barred all but year round residents. Florida is screening at the state line the ? is the hotspots will probably change
https://www.wkrg.com/health/coronav...igITYhBkD5bAbqlhnJ-QKl9KBvPi9IUII0KuwpynoemEg
But we have topic drift.
I am pissed at the ice. Otherwise I would be paddling.

Last edited:
As for padding in "America" as far as I'm concern Canada is in America.... I'll stop here I don't want to start a political debate hahahaha
It is geographic labeling, nothing political about it at all unless someone makes it so. I always remember seeing school maps label Canada, USA, and Mexico as "North America". Canada (and Mexico) are as shown on the map and are geographically part of America. To this day I could never figure out why most people so freely use interchangeably the terms "USA" and "America". it is the United States OF America, . I guess no one ever thought it necessary to call Canada "Canada OF America".

It is geographic labeling, nothing political about it at all unless someone makes it so. I always remember seeing school maps label Canada, USA, and Mexico as "North America". Canada (and Mexico) are as shown on the map and are geographically part of America. To this day I could never figure out why most people so freely use interchangeably the terms "USA" and "America". it is the United States OF America, . I guess no one ever thought it necessary to call Canada "Canada OF America".

where is the clap emoji!

Back