• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Design advice sought for expedition solo

I'll take the last one on permanent loan, if you don't mind.

My current dog was chosen based on how well she'd fit in the canoe and run through tall prairie grasses. Long legs but not overly tall, lean, agile, and under 30 pounds. Not too much inconvenience in the canoe and easily offset by the enjoyment having her along brings. I have no trouble with her in my skinny solos. In my Magic there is room in front of my feet for a small pack but that's about it. I think, on this trip, I should try to get heavier items in that front pack to better balance the heavier load behind.

20120828_007 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

I'm looking forward to seeing your design develop Alan! If it turns out good, would you be willing to share plans?:D

Sure! I'd love to get someone elses impression.

Been tinkering around and this is what I've come up with so far. 16.5'x30" and around 26" at the gunwales. Couple inches of rocker in bow/stern depending on where you measure. A little more in the bow. Height is 19" bow, 13" center, and 16" stern. The water line as shown is with 350 pounds total weight.

Bloodvein_V5_Linesplan by Alan Gage, on Flickr

v5 forms by Alan Gage, on Flickr

v5 profile by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Thoughts?

I'm sure there will be a lot of changes to come but I think it's a good start. Tried drawing up a 16' version but it doesn't quite have the speed and I worry a little about running out of room.

Alan

That does look interesting. I like the 16.5 length. With the dog along you almost need a solo plus but not quite a tandem. Pretty unique.

Christy

Back