• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Coffee Cups/Mugs and morning rituals

I’ll sell you a coconut shell with an old bootlace for only $19.95

My Sami friends in Northern Sweden & Finland tell me that real Kuksa has dipper like handle. The ones with finger holes are made for and bought only by tourists. They will not call them kuksa just wooden cups. The real deal is carved by the owner out of birch burls. My Kupilka is the proper shape, but made for modern campers. I carved a real one from a birch burl, it is real pretty with lots of interesting grain, shading of wood color and a proliferation birds-eyes. Alas, it only holds seven oz, seems I spend to much time refilling it not contemplating nature.

that cup looks something like a "noggin". We use them for a cup or bowl in me living history camping. They are bigger and more round, sometimes made out of tree burls. it's where the slang word for head came from. As far as cups for canoe tripping, I like a metal one I can put on the fire to warm up or use for a minimalist boiling pot. As for rituals, sitting drinking my coffee at sunrise with the mist coming off the water is heaven for me.

Last edited:
The mention of Sierra Club cups at the start of this thread got me to reminiscing about growing up in a Sierra Club family. I realized it was 50 years ago that my family went on a Boundary Waters national Sierra Club outing, which is when I got a Sierra Club cup of my own. Before that on family camping trips the kids drank out of plastic cups My cup has been with me on a variety of backpacking, canoeing, and car camping trips since 1969. My regular camping dishes now include a double-wall stainless steel mug for coffee and a Sea-to-Summit delta bowl for food. The Sierra Club cup still comes along to fill in as a second cup or bowl as needed though. It seems the perfect size and shape for instant oatmeal in the morning and often gets used for that. Not being a morning person, breakfast needs to involve minimal preparation. This usually means heating a pot of water for coffee (either instant or the Folger’s coffee bags) and instant oatmeal.

Regarding Sierra Club cups, I don’t remember exactly what the description was, but there was something about the official Sierra Club cups having a different alloy around the rim which minimized the burned lips effect. They are noticeably better than cheap generic sierra style cups for drinking hot liquids.

Normally my morning includes a cup, sometimes two, of coffee. While canoe tripping my practice is to drip brew 2 mugs (24 oz) of coffee into a preheated stainless steel thermos. Preferring trips without portages, taking along a thermos isn't a an issue for me.

Being an early riser, the first cup starts my morning while I'm puttering about camp. Several hours later as I push the canoe off the shoreline I begin to enjoy the second cup, still quite hot from being stored in the thermos. Inspired by another thread on this board I crafted a cup holder for my coffee cup. The heavy oak base has gripper drawer liner glued to its bottom to keep it from sliding around on the canoe floor.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

2 weeks ago the maiden voyage for the cup holder revealed another, perhaps even more useful, feature of the design. Empty, the cup holder will contain about 25 cherries, grapes, or several orange sections. It was a relaxing cruise with coffee in the morning paddle and fresh fruit snacks in front of me during the day.

A handle on a mug provides a sense of security and comfort to me but I find handles awkward to pack around. This mug solves packing issue and is a very serviceable handle. When not needed, the handle folds up quite nicely and slides into the cup holder - no need to cut out a gap in the cup holder for the handle. Sweet! I recently bought a spare mug and the new version doubles as a measuring cup.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I have a friend that brews his morning coffee the night before, puts it in a thermos, brings it into his tent, and drinks in in bed in the morning. Sounded great, but I was concerned about bears smelling it during the night.

I have a friend that brews his morning coffee the night before, puts it in a thermos.......................

When I remember it, after cooking the evening dinner and while the stove is running I'll boil 24 oz of water and pour it in the thermos overnight. Next morning the coffee gets going very quickly and has a hot vessel to receive the morning brew.

Picture of the cup insert, the red sleeve provides some moderate insulation.

MUG3.JPG

I have one of those alsg, i got it from the returns area at REI for a couple bucks. I mostly used it as a filter inside of a drip cone but have used it right inside my cup but I never let it steep. I would stir up the grounds and then drain into the cup and repeat. I also use it to filter my cowboy coffee when pouring it from the pot to the mug. It's a good devise that I use at home and I don't leave home without. It can be a little slow if you put too much or too fine of a grind coffee in it. You will also find a lot of sediment in your mug.

I always poured the hot water through it as opposed to filling it and placing it in a cup of hot water to steep. I think if you do the latter you'll have weak coffee. You have to mess with the grind a little, too fine and it's slow, too course and it's weak. I've been using mine for maybe 25 years.

I too have an MSR Mugmate. It gets used at home when I want a single cup and sometimes camping unless I'm going for the simplicity of instant. I let it steep as the directions say and adjust the amount of grounds to get suitable strength. It does result in a lot of sediment in the mug. The biggest drawback is in packing - haven't found a simple way to keep it enclosed in something rigid to protect the mesh. It can nest in a mug, but there is nothing to keep the lid attached, nothing to keep it in the mug, and can't put a lid on the mug to keep things together.

Our youngest daughter phoned the other day to say she'd bought a coffee pot that would do double duty, both in her kitchen at home and in their tripping kitchen. It's a little Bialetti knock off. Later in the day she phoned again to ask what the secret was to making it work. No secret we told her. Fill the bottom pot with water to the measured line, loosely fill the coffee filter with chosen grounds and screw it all together. On medium high heat it shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and Hey Presto! you'll have coffee. A few minutes later she phoned again to inform us that Hey Presto! she still had no coffee, the water had steamed out and the handle had melted and fallen off. Can't trust knock offs I guess. I promised her one of ours. They can be occasionally found second hand for $2. We often go to second hand shops and flea markets, and used to head straight to the book section. Nowadays we make a beeline straight to the pots and pans...and coffee pots. Can you have too many?

O gee I have several Mug Mates in various places.. One in the kitchen as its much better at steeping tea than those fancy spoons..
One in the trailer for car camping
One in the camping gear closet extra and one in the pot set

One popped up in my knitting stash.. have no idea how it got there.

Coffee bags.. nah I swear only by my local coffee roaster and grind my own beans..

The secret to non mud coffee for the Mug Mate is not to grind it too finely. Yes we have a coffee grinder that can go from coarse to extra fine at home..
I just put the MM in a pot.. We have a nesting set of pots. I have no idea why the MM needs to come with a lid.. I have lost all of them and don't miss them.

For your morning enjoyment some Jerry Vandiver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5Cuy1weLc

I sang this song between the tent and the bear cache on the first morning in Pukaskwa and rooting through the food box could not find the coffee!!! the mice had worn a hole in the wine bag and that was gone.. Bad enough but there was NO coffee! I found it later in a bag it was not supposed to be in.. Whew.. We could go on with no wine but never with no coffee

Been using one off and on for about 10 years... as stated there are issues with weak coffe and mud. I only use it to strain off the cowboy coffee. Didn't like using it in the pour over configuration.

Jason

I was out of library books and picked up a copy of John McPhee’s Encounters with the Archdruid to re-read. In the chapter where McPhee pairs David Brower with Floyd Dominy (Bureau of Reclamation chief) on a raft trip down the Grand Canyon I came across this description of Brower and his Sierra cup:

The raft guide has cooked an entire sirloin steak for each person, to be served on a large plastic tray. Brower steps forward “holding out a four-inch cup to receive a three pound steak. He drapes the steak over the cup. The steak covers the cup like a sun hat. Brower begins to hack away at the edges with a knife. Brower in the wilderness eats from nothing but his Sierra cup”.

That is a wonderful image. And Encounters with the Archdruid is a wonderful book, still relevant and engaging nearly 50 years after publication.

As far as coffee goes, I do love it... cold and black is ok. hot is better. but hot with cream and sugar is best... however, the process of making it in the field is entirely too much effort for me, and i drink tea when out.

First time I burned my lips was on an aluminum boy scout cookset cup, on some hot cocoa. Currently, I use a 20oz GSI Cascadian Lexan mug... i have a clear one with a handle that nests under a 32 oz Aqua Fina water bottle, or on top of a 32oz Gatorade bottle. In both cases, they're tucked in a side pocket of a pack and the flap holds them in. I also have a different one that's made of some sort of softer plastic. I cut the handle off that one, and it nests perfectly in what i think is a 220z Olicamp aluminum mug (to which i have affixed a bail). This latter is my brew kit for day hikes or hunting trips. I've tried the hotlips thing, and dislike it.

My Dad had a ranch in Arizona for almost 30 years. I learned about coffee from people that are often sleep deprived. Saddling up at 4 to go on a cow hunt in the dark requires some serious coffee. Put ground beans in a pot with cold water. Add some egg shells or a whole egg is you prefer. Heat slowly until it boils. Let it sit and then add a small amount of cold water to settle the ground. I made coffee at home for 25 years the same way. Context is everything. The old grey enamel pot with the silver top took me right back to the ranch every time I drank coffee.

Canoeing is not that different. I make it the same way. If I have whole beans, I wrap them in a bandana and pound them with a rock. Making coffee is thousands of years old. No reason to invest in a lot of gimmicks and equipment.

I probably shouldn't comment in this thread because, as a tea drinker, I've never made or drunk coffee on a canoe trip and, unlike Robert Duvall's classic Colonel Kilgore, I dislike the smell of it in the morning. However, I think it's on topic to respond to the first two sentences in the OP.

I have never understood the allure of a metal coffee cup. David Brower’s decade’s long use of his “iconic” Sierra cup left me wondering “why”?

When I began serious whitewater canoeing in 1979 in northern California, I joined the Sierra Club and immediately got a Sierra cup. HERE is some official history of the iconic device. I suppose I used it a few times for something, but never could understand its functional virtue. They said is was stackable, but so what! Who carries a stack of Sierra cups?

For everything else it seems inferior. The metal burns your lip and the metal handle can even get too hot. The narrow base makes it tippy to put down on the ground. The wide mouth makes heat and liquid evaporate faster, and so does the lack of a closed top. It doesn't have much volume. Yeah, you can scoop water out of a Sierra Nevada stream, but you can do that with anything including your cupped hand. I suppose my Sierra cup is lost somewhere in that cathedral of entropy known as my basement, along with other discarded paraphernalia from my naïf days, such as my custom made canoe cover and Carlisle clubs . . . er . . . paddles.

HERE is my post from 2016 picturing and describing my favorite cup for both vehicle and canoe tripping for more than a decade.

Back