• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Chestnut Pal and Chum day

No pictures today, dead battery, UGH...but we made head way and bent the last full rib, I think that makes 22 full ribs and about 10 half ribs which are up in the bow and stern. We are replacing any rib that had bad tips so they add up. Monday we will install the last full rib, the last 1/2 ribs, then start replanking alot of old stuff that has seen better days. I hope to have a full battery for my camera and take some pics.

I brought the canoe home from Schuylers shop this morning, this way I can work on it in my shop at my leisure as the weather begins to warm up. The canoe had a bulge in the center section which we removed with the aid of new ribs and a temporary strongback. I removed the strongback this morning to check on the bulge and was happy to see most of it is gone. I'll wait and see how it looks after some new plank,

I have alot of plank to replace and a few more ribs, which will end up being 25 ribs replaced, plus 13 half ribs in the bow and stern. Schuyler said it would have been a $4000 quote if I had wanted him to completely restore it.

Holy moly, $4000, you would have to be either very rich or very attached to pump that into a canoe. Are you going to use the epoxy stuff again to fill the canvas?

No, I bought some of Schuylers left over Old Town filler, the kind that takes 30 plus days to dry, he gave me a good deal.

I just wrote a check for $340, that's for one piece 16' spruce inwales, time spent explaining to me how to do this or that, tacks, screws and bolts etc., I had the cedar for the ribs and plank, but I used his equipment. I have the canvas, filler, plank, varnish, stripper, paint, gunnels and I know how to hand cane seats so I'm finished laying out any cash.

$4000, There are people who pay that around here, restore Grandpa's canoe and he will be so happy he might up you share of the inheritance!

But some drop him off a canoe for an estimate and when he calls them back, they just tell him to keep the canoe...he's got quite a few out on the racks he got for an hours time making out an estimate. Now if you want to buy that canoe he estimated at $4000 to repair, well, all of a sudden it's cherry, the best Old Town to be found anywhere!:rolleyes: (just kidding, Schuyler is an honest and fair businessman)

Back