• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Canoe advice for a disabled vet.

My concern is the capacity listed. It's very common to list capacity as the weight of water displaced when the canoe has 4 or six inches of freeboard. That is not enough. It's likely that on an overnight you would be trusting with your life that 500 lbs
14 feet gives you a little more margin but it's heavier
Also considering your weight differences you have to have room for him to sit closer to center for good trim which makes the canoe steerable and more stable

We're talking about this right now, great minds think alike. We could sit facing backwards, but then I'd have to paddle with my legs dangling over the sides! :0)

I've never used Craigslist, how do I contact them? This one looks a little rough, but I'm sure we could paint it. Thanks Robin!
They can post a phone number or email address, in this case they did neither. I clicked on the Craigslist notification on the bottom of listing and they should email them that they did not include any contact information. The seller should update the listing with contact information. Good luck.

Last edited:
Actually for your burden (load) 15 foot is best. 450 is a lot to ask of a 12 foot boat and the physics of water displacement are laws not in your favor.. Allagash is a canoe I see around here somewhat

The seats in that can be redrilled and actually you can get wider seats from Eds Canoe so your trim isn't all mucked up.

Pardon me for being frank but 12 foot boats even extra wide ones should be carrying under 300 lbs total. Not 450 to start.

Its heresy but you might be better in two boats,Even kayaks from Dicks which we can help you virtually make safer than they are off the floor.

Sponsons aid in not tipping but the flat floor aids tipping if it gets wavy and the low freeboard ( if you are overloaded) invites waves in.

what you need to find out is the weight of the water displaced by 500 lbs , Divide by 8.8. Thats volume in gallons. That is easy.. Now find the volume of your Radisson with eight inches of freeboard.. Or about 5 inches of water in it.. Measure that.. That is in gallons.. Multiply by 8,8 That is the weight that the water is forcing upward on the hull ( the bouyant force). If that latter figure is something like 300 you can get an idea of how low you will sink with that short boat.

No Title

As you can see, we have limited room for carrying anything. We have a pair of Dicks kayaks, and there's just no way to fit them both on top of the camper. Donny has trouble getting in and out of a kayak because of his disabilities. Plus, because they're cheap, (we live on his disability, remember?), they're heavy.

So, because we need something short and wide that we can both fit in, an open top canoe is the best choice. It would be easier for him as well.

The Sportspal S-12 is listed as only 48 lbs, but has a capacity of 500 lbs. The two of us combined are well below that, so it should work quite well for the type of canoeing we want to do.

Unless we can find a lighter Kevlar or composite canoe that's the exact same specs and shape as the S-12, I think we've found what we want.

Now, we need to find a used one, because our budget is way, way, WAY below the $1000 for a new one!

*the below motorcycle and sidecar is a 2007 Ural that was a gift to Donny from a dieing fellow soldier. It's got something to do with saving a life, but he doesn't talk about it so I don't know the whole story. Here's me and my granddaughter on it! :0)

Attachments

• photo7116.jpg
    photo7116.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7117.jpg
    photo7117.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
It's totally your decision . Two lightweight pack canoes by Hornbeck would be safer. Sometimes they come up used as Hornbeck is down by Minerva NY. At the very least I would take a ride down to Peters shop
Those are canoes whose hull shape is constant flare and are very seaworthy
Radissons are unfortunately one brand whose capacities published are not realistic with a safe margin
A pack canoe is shaped like a canoe but has a low seat and no confining deck

I agree with everybody here. 12 feet is too small for a canoe for that weight. Maybe a Jon boat would be best. I have a 10 ft that I can easily load on my truck ladder racks alone. I'm only 140 lbs. A twelve ft jon should work well for two people. I know they aren't pretty, but neither is a short fat aluminum canoe with black pool noodles on the sides.

I gave my best opinion for the right size canoe for two people your size, based on six decades of canoeing experience, in my first post. Go find a 12' canoe, put your 300 pound hubby in the stern seat, and see what happens. Nothing's impossible.

If your motorcycle plus trailer is too small to carry an appropriate sized canoe, why not use a car? If motorcycling is the primary recreational interest, I suppose that's the answer. In that case, as compact travel options, perhaps you should consider inflatable, folding, collapsible and origami canoes.

I'll look at your situation from a different angle, being a rider and outdoor guy since I was 10 or so. Small boater for the same time period.

Plain and simple, I would plan to rent a canoe when you get to your location... From my experience w sidehacks (limited) you are already maxing out the weight to horsepower between rider and monkey, your trailer, camping gear, the extra drag of the trailer and the design and limitations of the Ural rig.*

Add in boat(s) - aero drag, weight, top heavy trailer balance - and I think you have exceeded common sense and safe limits for acceleration, braking, handling and handling in an emergency.

If you are in NYS, many state campgrounds have rowboats, canoes and kayaks to rent right in the campgrounds, along with paddles and PFDs. If you are primitive camping in the ADKs, there are plenty of great outfitters in the park that rent... better to haul on the non-highway speed scenic roads than making a much longer haul at highway speeds.

Maybe you can meet up with friends or family at the campground, have the car as sag wagon for all the gear and boats...

*safety first, live to ride another day.

I overlooked trailer ? What's the recommended tongue weight?
A canoe will add considerable drag
What you don't want to do is launch the thing at the back of your head if it gets loose. Nor do you want to have the trailer unbalanced. You may notice a loss of steering control. You may also need sway bars. You see this can get expensive and complicated

Back