• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

C-4 question

Reaction score
Looking for information on C-4s. I have found that H2O, Wenonah, Savage River, GRB and Northstar makes them. Looking for something lightweight, fast, and ideally without sliding seats (or at least without the need to slide). Anyone willing to share thoughts? Reviews? Preferences?

Savage River carbon C4s tend to be the winningest boats in races I have participated in, closely followed by GRB, then Wenonah (Wenonah Minn IV is by far the most commonly seen C4 in the Adirondacks). Have paddled the SR "Saranac" and a custom built "Texan" in the Yukon races with great success. Cant say I have seen any other makes. Side to side Sliding mid seats tend to be very desirable for efficient paddlling and are common on racing C4s (except not so much found on the Wenonahs) and longer voyageur canoes. Fore/aft sliding bow and stern seats are highly desirable also to manage trim.

Last edited:
Savage River carbon C4s tend to be the winningest boats in races I have participated in, followed by GRB, then Wenonah (Wenonah is by far the most commonly seen in the Adirondacks). Have paddled the SR and a custom "Texan" in the Yukon races with great success. Cant say I have seen any other makes. Side to side Sliding mid seats tend to be very desirable for efficient paddlling and are common on C4s ( except not so much found on the Wenonahs) and longer voyageur canoes. Fore/aft sliding bow and stern seats are highly desirable also to manage trim.
Going on the websites, it looks like is quite different than the rest. Have you been in their Mach 4?

Thanks. I think I posted this in the wrong place but dont know how to change it.

I moved this thread into the Canoe Racing forum. Sorry that I can't contribute to the topic, but I have no personal familarity with C-4 canoes.

I don't know C-4's either, but FWIW I did notice that MountainMan in Old Forge has a couple of Northwind 20's on end-of-season sale. I think that boat is more a C-3.5 and it wouldn't pace a Saranac or a Minn 4, but it might be a nice fast touring canoe.

I've seen C3s converted to C4s. They are not a pretty sight. Maybe ok for a short while with a couple of adults carrying very small kids. The poor bow paddler (usually me) is crammed into a tiny wedge of space with no room for any gear or even a water or food bag. A producer of leg cramps and numb butt cheeks. Forget about adjusting trim with movable bow/stern seats. If you intend to carry wheels there is not enough room for those either, whether in any potential space ahead of seat #2 or #3.
If you need a C4, then get a real C4 for the job. Just My opinion only.

YKNPDLR = That is very helpful. Thank you. By the way, you have responded to my posts (and many others) with very helpful information. So...thank you! It is all much appreciated. Your experience with the 90-miler (I have done it twice) and the YRQ is invaluable.

Back