• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Best Bug Defence

Reaction score
Black flies, mosquitoes and ticks are the biggest threat to bug-free happy tripping, but mosquitoes and deer ticks can also carry serious disease where I go, and so with another paddling season fast approaching I'm reconsidering my options for bug defence. In the past I've only used DEET to repel insects. The DEET concentrations are lower here in Canada but still fairly effective. I use it on clothing and only very little on exposed skin. Last year I bought some permethrin spray. Again it comes in a weaker solution than those available in the USA. I haven't used it yet, but considered treating tripping pants. Maybe tent walls? DEET is a repellant whereas permethrin is an insecticide. Repelling vs killing. Seems like a good defence.
Which do you use, or do you use both, and what do you spray?

" Dont wash and swear at them in Ojibway ".

Karin treats her pants with permethrin and I am thinking it is a good idea. I have no issue with slathering myself with DEET. The stronger the better.

I have used the clip on belt repellant fans at home and they work somewhat. I am considering a larger verssion to take with us for the campsite. Mosquito coils work good too inside and the sticks look interesting. Smoke works for the traditionalists.

Some of my best trips come late in the season when the bugs have buggered off for the year. Avoidance rather than repellants.

Its just not tripping though without the week old sweat, smoke, and bug juice combined with muttering murderous threats to the sagamesuk.

Christy

I have had good result against ticks and chiggers with Insect Shield socks. I've used permethrin on my clothes, but it washes out faster than the factory treatment. I don't have much trouble with flying insects around here, so I concentrate on the bugs that crawl up my legs and the socks seem to do the trick.

Depends. Not those depends. Depends where I am. Deet does not work well for me for Florida no seeums. Then a mix of oil of eucalyptus and some other herbal oils work best. Those FL no seeums are the worst bug I have ever met. But they dislike oily surfaces

Thermacell I have written off. Not only is it susceptible to wind on the Liard the mosquitoes took it away. Four of them landed on it.

Permethrin treated clothes are fine till you get them wet time and time again.

In what all of you consider canoe country a little Bens 100 and wearing khaki and desert green. I try to avoid blue and black, which blackflies love. Its bug jacket long pants tucked into socks.

For me dirt works well.

I don't worry much about ticks, blackflies and skeeters. My yard looks just like an Algonquin campsite with a house. With the same six legged critters. Deer ticks have been in my life since 1983 when we lived near Old Lyme CT. Just another insect friend.

Some towns spray BTI.. Ours does not due to half the town being lake and it being a trophy salmon fishery. We actually like our blackflies.

Now those Allagash no seeums. Never camp in the back woods there. Always as much in the open as you can.

A fan works really well but I don't take one of those wearable fans tripping. A larger fan certainly works on our deck so we can eat outside.

Should it ever get above 3 C. Its still snowing.

Last spring my wife bought giant incense sticks, about 3 feet long. Long spindly fragile things made of wood and a coating that smelled like lavender. They were supposedly for repelling insects. I love incense, and burn it around home all the time. It's my inner hippy thing, but having a campsite smelling like potpourri was a novelty I'd rather avoid in future. Besides, I'm pretty sure the bugs stayed away because of the smudgy smoke, not the flowery perfume...or maybe the bugs were just too embarrassed to hang around. I know smoke works on flying insects. And I'm pretty good at making smoky fires ( unintentionally). Those mosquito coils are good but too fragile. I break 'em before I can light 'em. That mosquito stick looks good, thanks sweeper, I'll look for those. Does anyone burn mosquito sticks/coils in or near their tent before retiring for the night?

Permethren soaked clothing has worked well for me in the BWCA and also my yard for ticks. If I need a topical I go with DEET products as they test out the best in the studies I have seen. I also have a bug shirt, purchased for Alaska last summer, but never worn due to the lack of bugs caused by the drought.

Raid yard guard sprayed into the tent before you start your trip. DEET for the underside of your visor, pantlegs etc as needed. A bugshirt and some really thin gloves from a sporting goods store. And a smudge. Smudges are poorly understood these days. Get a nice clean smokeless fire going, and throw handfuls of grass or spruce bows on it. The smoke is fragrant and moist and nothing like the acrid smoke that stings your eyes from burning green wood. Avoid mowed grassy sites to get away from blackflies. Tuck your pants into your socks, with bug dope to avoid ticks. Also avoid vegetation between ankle high and knee-high. Also, most all of the bugs go to bed after dark. And if that don't work, just ignore them. :cool:

I gave up on mosquito coils when I found out that they kick out the same amount of formaldehyde as 50+ cigarettes and twice that in particulate matter. So I use DEET as low concentrations work that same as higher but doesn't last as long. I use Permethrin sprays on my pants from the knee down. Since .5% is illegal for clothing in Canada, I use readily available .25% but spray it on twice a year. Once dry Permethrin is intert and won't be absorbed by skin.

Old tightly woven dress shirts do a good job on both mossies and blackflies, I've been using them for years for late spring trips. Long quick-dry pants tucked into your socks work well too, but are hot as crap! I found a pair of pants with noseeum mesh behind a zipper down the seams that work really well.
Other than that, I usually practice Zen repellant ;) I slather on the deet the first day, use it when I remember the second day, and by the third it's put away and I just ignore the bugs.
A trick for a good smudge is to start with a normal, but small fire, find an old rotted fire-killed stump and kick off some large chunks. Put them on the fire, covering a good portion of it, and let them smolder. Less noticeable smoke (but it IS there) and less pungent than green wood, and a few chunks will smolder for hours

Has anyone tried vanilla or Absorbine Jr. for black flies? We don't get black flies here but we do get a lot of gnats, which look and act like their smaller and slightly less voracious cousins, and that stuff just plain works; as opposed to regular bug spray with deet which hardly seems to phase them at all after a few minutes.

Alan

This year I have to get this http://oletimewoodsman.com/ I have tried it once but it is hard to find in stores. I will just order it online. It does work for me in Maine.
The strips look useful too. I think stable flies are far worse than blackflies.

In New England and particularly New Brunswick you will find wood burning smudge stoves in most peoples backyards. The noseeums come out of the ground and are fierce at dawn and dusk.

Remember the old smudge pots that burned oil? Lets see how old you are....

The most effective and cheep approach for me is to get horse spray from Tractor supply containing premerithyn, and spray it on the OUTSIDE of clothes,hat,hammock ect. Seems to last all your,but I don't wash my paddling clothes much. Also, the kind of smoke doesn't seem to matter repelling blackflys and mosquetos. I put oldtyme woodsmen on my skin liberally. It looks,smells, and even tastes like used motor oil,but it helps.
Turtle

This year I have to get this http://oletimewoodsman.com/ I have tried it once but it is hard to find in stores. I will just order it online. It does work for me in Maine.
You never know what is going to work and when. On one canoe trip a friend and I were each paddling solo on a nice calm day not far from shore. A heavy dose of DEET was barely working, keeping heavy swarms of black flies inches away, but not for long. At that point my buddy applied OTW to himself. It was like magic. Not a black fly within a large radius around him. It worked with me too.

You should know that the original OTW formula of years ago is no longer used. The original company stopped making the stuff several years ago, and it was not available anywhere for a time. Then the present company picked up the name, with a modified formula. Does it work just as well as the old version? I don't know, probably not, though with safer chemicals. But as I remember from an old bottle my father had it smells much the same. You can always tell from some distance away when someone has opened a bottle and slathered in it.

Everyone's chemistry is different old Woodsnan worked for me in the 100 mile wilderness There is another local one made by the Passamaquoddies that works for me too. DEET does not work for me in some environs.
The above are better than what one Maine Guide I know uses. Bear Grease
Edit.. I just got some Skeeter Skidaddle. Its made locally. Can't wait to see if it repels local blackflies and skeeters or is another designer item. Its got Cinnamon Oil, Cedarwood Oil Lemongrass Oil, Geranium Oil and Organic Sunflower oil.. hmmm.. The maker claims it works as the local skeeters are not familiar with those substances.
Jury is frozen out for now.

Last edited:
In my experience, deet works good on mosquetoes but nothing else. it also dissolves plastic and nylon and I don't think its healthy.I only use it as a last resort for a massive mosquetoe attack.
Turtle

I am looking at the history of bug repellents. Surely indigineous people had local remedies. That is what makes me suspicious of exotics and wondering if what I bought will work.
Canoes show adaptations to the builders environment. Surely botanical insect repellents should too.

At this point it may be worth a reminder of the writings of George Washington Sears, aka "Nessmuk", from his book: "Woodcraft and Camping", first published in 1884 and is still available for sale in paperback, or for free online. From page 13 (bold emphasis added):

As regards poisonous insects, it may be said that, to the man with clean, bleached, tender skin, they are, at the start, an unendurable torment. No one can enjoy life with a smarting, burning, swollen face, while the attacks on every exposed inch of skin are persistent and constant. I have seen a young man after two days’ exposure to these pests come out of the woods with one eye entirely closed and the brow hanging over it like a clam shell, while face and hands were almost hideous from inflammation and puffiness. The St. Regis and St. Francis Indians, although born and reared in the woods, by no means make light of the black fly.

It took the man who could shoot Phantom Falls to find out, “Its bite is not severe, nor is it ordinarily poisonous. There may be an occasional exception to this rule; but beside the bite of the mosquito, it is comparatively mild and harmless.” And again: "Gnats...in my way of thinking, are much worse than the black fly or mosquito.” So says Murray. Our observations differ. A thousand mosquitoes and as many gnats can bite me without leaving a mark, or having any effect save the pain of the bite while they are at work. But each bite of the black fly makes a separate and distinct boil, that will not heal and be well in two months.

While fishing for brook trout in July last, I ran into a swarm of them on Moose River, and got badly bitten. I had carelessly left my medicine behind. On the first of October the bites had not ceased to be painful, and it was three months before they disappeared entirely. Frank Forester says, in his Fish and Fishing, page 371, that he has never fished for the redfleshed trout of Hamilton county, “being deterred therefrom by dread of that curse of the summer angler, the black fly, which is to me especially venomous.”

“Adirondack Murray” gives extended directions for beating these little pests by the use of buckskin gloves with chamois gauntlets, Swiss mull, fine muslin, etc. Then he advises a mixture of sweet oil and tar, which is to be applied to face and hands; and he adds that it is easily washed off, leaving the skin soft and smooth as an infant’s; all of which is true. But, more than forty years’ experience in the woods has taught me that the following recipe is infallible anywhere that sancudos, moquims, or our own poisonous insects do most abound.

It was published in Forest and Stream in the summer of 1880, and again in ’83. It has been pretty widely quoted and adopted, and I have never known it to fail: Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient.

And don’t fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on—and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face and hands crocky or smutty about the campfire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once, wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks’ tour, and never used either a single time.

When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water. When I struck a woodland hotel, I found soap and towels plenty enough. I found the mixture gave one’s face the ruddy tanned look supposed to be indicative of health and hard muscle. A thorough ablution in the public wash basin reduced the color, but left the skin very soft and smooth; in fact, as a lotion for the skin it is excellent. It is a soothing and healing application for poisonous bites already received.

Last edited:
I had to chuckle about the use of "Old Woodsman's" because I use to use the old formula stuff for many years. One year as I was walking to dinner there was a couple of campers in front of me and the one kid turned to the other and said, "I don't know where he is but I can smell him coming!" It really cracked me up.

As for the current crop of repellants, I find that different products work on different bugs. I had a lemon scented Naturpel product that worked wonders on black flies but did nothing for mosquitos. DEET work with the mosquitos but the deer fly kept coming. At this point I will try the new "Old Woodsman's" and see what happens. Honestly, I wear shorts here in central NYS throughout the winter months so I hate being dressed in long pants, long sleeved shirt, etc. during the heat & humidity of summer. All the extra garment covering makes life too hot to enjoy. Last year I tried some products made with picaradin (I may be spelling that incorrectly) and wasn't too impressed with them so I guess the search continues.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back