• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Bear!!

Prevention doesn't always work, sounds get muffled by wind, brush or current and who's to say an old bear can't suffer hearing loss like an old dog. I have never had to use the spray but on the one encounter with a black bear I had it out and ready and felt a lot better than the encounter I had with a grizzly with no protection. At least I had an option rather than accepting my fate.

I had an incident last month back in Pa. that if I had spray on me I would have used it. It was my neighbors German shepperd. Three times over the last 6 years I've come across the neighbor walking his unleashed dog and got charged. He bit me once on the stomach and left puncture marks through layers of winter clothes. On the last encounter I had to pull my knife out and take an offensive posture to keep him at bay. If I had a gun I would have shot him and never have to worry about him getting loose and getting one of my grandkids.

That dog would be a dead dog after the first bite... Period!!

The guy in the original story lives two hours from me. Sounds like a pretty funny guy, from the article
"I'm a First Nation, Cree-Ojibwa, I'm usually pretty dark," he said. "My friend just called me from Thunder Bay and he said 'you looked really white man,'" he continued, laughing. "I said 'I'm surprised I didn't look green.'"

That dog would be a dead dog after the first bite... Period!!
You're right, I at least should have reported it. The dog has been aggressive to other neighbors I later found out. I don't have a gun back in Pa. and I don't want to have the responsibility of carrying one around my yard and the woods just across the street from my house. I'm concerned about having the gun around with the little kids there especially considering that I'm on vacation when I go back there and not always 100% sober.

Safer under a canoe?
I was carrying a pack a little ahead of hubby on our way to Radiant Lake in Algonquin ( that 4000 meter thing along a creek) He had the canoe. He did not see mama come up from the creek till mama was under the bow of the canoe.. Yes that close 8 feet. Mama took one look at him and ran down the trail ( toward me) but must have veered off the trail since she did not fly by me.
How do we know it was Mama
the little guy that followed stopped under the canoe and just looked at this funny human with the funny hat... ( who was now altering underwear). Finally after two or three seconds ran after mama

So you guys with canoe heads feel safe!

Yes I do. I can see pretty well while carrying the boat as I keep the bow high. When I carry my packs I use a tump and that also limits how much you can see. I feel that such a large out of place object could be intimidating to an animal.

Anyway it's possible that by your husband carrying the boat he may have scared the mamma from fight to flight. Probably not but things did turn out ok.

Back