• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Algonquin Park: To Manitou Lake and Back Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you all had a good winter and, if you've been out recently, a good first (or second) trip of the year. Mine was, unfortunately, much much shorter than planned. My original plan was a five day loop through the Northwest part of the Park. What I ended up doing was ... not that. Still, it was great to get out and I can't wait to hit the water again some time soon. For now, here's my report:

Nice report Al I was there 2 years ago. I paddled in from the West and stayed lower down on the peninsula on the west side of the lake. I really enjoyed the Port at the North end of Manitou.

Thanks Sweeper! I was looking forward to the falls on that portage, I bet they would have been spectacular with all the water running through right now. Oh well, next time.

Well that was a contrast to the last time I visited Manitou! It was about 100 F ( the temp read 37 C) and I camped on a beach trying in vain to set up out of the sun and swimming a LOT then did all the ports down the river. So hot and I was so done in I kept jumping in the river to cool down and re energize. Goes to show you even the same area can be different.. I loved the three bear cubs and Mama I saw jumping off a log in the river and swimming back to the log
Then the Girl Scout troop behind me in aluminum canoes behind me arrived....

Thanks for doing that write up, it was very entertaining, I have only done that loop once and you brought back memories.

I was in the park, at the same time, only I did Canoe-->Tom Thompson-->MacIntosh ...so I got pretty much the same weather and most of it did suck. For the record, the first night got down to -2C and the next few nights where at 0 or close to it, warmest being 4.6C ... we did manage to stay in for 6 nights, so it was a success. I am now thinking the one day the wind blew "with" us, was when the weather gods had to choose who would get screwed with a head wind.

"Tarn 2" ...wow .... that is a vintage MEC product, my son has the 2 and I have the 3 ... of course I went to the dark side and have used a hammock since 2012.

If you haven't already done it, the loop going through from North Tea to Manitou (via South River) is pretty nice and the portages are a bit more manageable .... I like that as our September trip as there is a set of falls at the portage to Manitou that give a great swimming/shower opportunity.

Brian

Thanks for the comments guys and I'm glad you enjoyed the write up.

Yellowcanoe - if we could have had an average between our two temps it would make for a perfect day. We didn't see any wildlife, but we saw lots of wildlife pooh.

Cruiser - In retrospect, I wish I'd picked a route similar to yours. The killer for us was the headwind on Manitou. I think if we'd had options beyond paddling into it or heading back we probably would have been able to stick it out. That falls you mentioned on the portage is one of the reasons I wanted to do that route in the first place. I've heard they're really nice. Next time I guess.

used to have a Tarn 3 but I lent it to my sister many, many years ago to take tree planting. It came back with burn holes all over it and poles from about six different tents, but none of the poles that actually went with my tent :)

Then the Girl Scout troop behind me in aluminum canoes behind me arrived....

Reminds me of a very special day sunning on the rocks at Ethan Pond (White Mtns NH). I was hit with a sudden West wind and about 10 seconds later heard what turned out to be a troop of Boy Scouts singing as they hiked down the trail. :confused:

Back