• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Algonquin 5/15 - 5/20/16

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that contributed to my questions on my first trip to Canada. It definitely helped make the trip a success.

After the 8 hr drive from home I stayed in Huntsville and headed to pick up my pass in Kearny early Sunday morning.

P5150004.JPG

When I picked up my permit at Kearny the young lady said she really didn't expect to drive to work in whiteout conditions, even if it was Canada.

Day 1

Day%2BOne.jpg
Put in at Magnetawan Lake. Snow squalls were the theme for Sunday.

P5150005.JPG

I met quite a few people coming out after the weekend.

Petawawa River

P5150017.JPG

For the first time, except for some short portages in the past, I had to double carry on the way in. I changed some of my equipment and with the colder weather comes bulkier clothes, I could not fit my day pack into my large pack. Plus I admit, it was early in the season and I was out of shape. The extra 4 miles double carrying added to the length and time for the trip in. I vowed to eat as much as I could so the trip out would not be doubled.

P5150019.JPG

Little Misty Lake, but that's not mist. It's another snow squall. Better snow than rain became my mantra. When I did the portage from Little Misty to Misty and came back for my boat it had a couple of inches of snow drifted into the bow.

P5150028.JPG

My home for the week on Misty Lake.

Day 2, Monday turned out to be a wind day. I ventured out and decided that maybe it would be a good rest day.

P5160034.JPG

I did a little paddling leeward of the island and enjoyed the view from camp.

P5160029pan.jpg

Where ever I went the presence of moose was everywhere. Over browsing was evident everywhere I traveled.

Tuesday dawned calm and sunny. Time for an adventure!

P5170048.JPG

Misty to Little Misty to Queer Lake. Down the Tim River to Shah Lake to Pandion Pond and back to camp on Misty.

Day%2Bthree.jpg

Just over 14 miles. It was a beautiful day. Just before leaving camp a lone canoer paddled by going toward the portage to Little Misty. I caught up with him at the portage and come to find out he's member of Canoe Tripping and as well as a member of MYCC. He started asking about my boat so I offered him my paddle for a test run.

P5170053.JPG

Pretty much everyone I met was interested in my 12', 14# canoe.

The portage from Little Misty to Queer Lake would be the longest of the trip and one I was planning on doing on my way out so I wanted to see what that was going to be like. Much to my delight, after a short steep section from Little Misty it followed an excellent road bed.

P5170058.JPG

Queer Lake

The bay where the portage from Queer Lake to Tim River is very fjord like, narrow with steep walls.

P5170063.JPG

Still some ice clinging to the cliffs.

The portages in general are much better than the carries in the Adirondacks.

P5170068.JPG

Ephemerals such as spring beauties, trout lilies, dutchman's britches, etc. covered the ground in the hardwoods.

P5170077.JPG

There was some mud, but not the up to the knee kind I have endured in the Adirondacks.

P5170078.JPG

Fresh moose track. They're around here somewhere!

P5170080.JPG

The Tim River.

P5170089.JPG

Along the Tim the trout lilies ran back as far as I could see into the forest.

P5170093.JPG

The terrain varied considerably along the Tim.

P5170096.JPG

Moose on the left, Wolf on the right.

P5170097.JPG

Thankful for the boardwalk.

As I moved across the portage I saw where some one had hung something bright red in the tree next to the trail.

P5180131Tan.jpg

Then it flew and I realized it was a scarlet tananger!

P5170107.JPG

Some of the portages were surprisingly steep. This one from Pandion Pond to Misty Lake.

Wednesday was another beautiful day so an trip south of Misty was in order.

Day%2BFour.jpg

After a quick hike to Pandion Pond looking for my lost camera case it was off to Timberwolf and McIntosh Lakes.

P5180112.JPG

Outlet from Timberwolf Lake to Misty Lake.

P5180118.JPG

Obligatory boat shot.

P5180129.JPG

A beautiful day on Timberwolf Lake and

P5180134.JPG

McIntosh Lake,

On my way back across Timberwolf Lake I made a side excursion to Timberwolf Creek.

P5180139.JPG

Really beautiful area, but before long I had hit my turnaround time and had to turnaround. Here Moosey, Moosey, Moosey....

P5180143.JPG

Did I mention how beautiful the creek was?

Day%2BFive.jpg

Thursday was to be the day I broke camp and journeyed about 9 miles to Little Trout Lake so as to get off the water before the afternoon winds on Friday.

P5190148.JPG

I had a good day for it. Misty Lake,

P5190151.JPG

After single carrying into Queer Lake, It wasn't long before I was on Little Trout. The rain clouds and a few sprinkles help propel me toward my last campsite.

P5190154.JPG

A nice site in the bay of the portage to Ralph Bice Lake

P5190159.JPG

As I set up my water filter I glanced down and what to my wondering eyes appear but a moose molar. Well after not seeing the living thing I guess this was going to have to do it for my moose siting of the trip.

P5190164.JPG

One more perfect night in the park.

Day%2BSix.jpg

Last day! 5 mile trek back to the car.

P5200172.JPG

I saw few people during the trip, but on the way in and out I met quite a few. Ralph Bice Lake.

P5200174.JPG

The winds did pick up some as I crossed Ralph Bice Lake and there was a bit of a traffic jam at the start of the portage but I managed to make it back to the car by noon and home (even with an hour hold up on the interstate) by 9:30.

I left the Friday of Victoria Day weekend so there were many people coming in. It was then I realized how important the canoe culture is in Canada as compared to the states. People of all ages, shapes and sizes were heading into the park for the weekend. One fellow at the put-in had me video him and his two sons, estimated ages of 3 and 4, heading out for the weekend to fish. High school kids out on an adventure, young couples and older men that had been coming since 1957.

It was a trip I won't soon forget.
More pictures Here

Attachments

• Day%2BOne.jpg
    Day%2BOne.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice! Great time of year to go as well. Algonquin is a busy park and travelling during the should season allows for bit more solitude. I've never considered a trip like this where you base camp and do day trips for a week. Great idea!

Very nice trip report. Thanks for posting. Questions:
Did you fish at all?
How were, if any, the blackflies (although I'm thinking they were not out yet)?
Do you think you could have packed differently somehow so you wouldn't had to do a double carry or was it truly a question of not being in better shape?
Could you have shouldered your day pack in front... i.e. on your chest?
Has this trip convinced you to return north again (I know I'm excited with my first Canadian trip plans for next year)?

Last edited:
My first solo was in this area. Ports usually short and well maintained. Not true for all ports. It used to be that the Ink Lake to Tom Thompson would sink people to their waists. And the black line portages on the Algonquin map ( Jeffs) are non maintained. The route in the TR is a nice maintained and well used route..

moral you need to go back!

Did you see some Swift pack canoes? They are made nearby... Algonquin has as much walking as paddling on some routes. Light is might is right.

Thanks all.

I did not fish. This being my first foray, I just wanted to camp and enjoy paddling. There were no black flies. I bet the next week was brutal with the temps getting into the 70's. I single carried one 200 meter portage on the way in by placing my day pack on the outside of my big pack and it was very off balance. I think it was a combination of out of shape and too much stuff.

The first two nights were below freezing with steady winds and I was a little cool. I finally resorted to wearing my down jacket to bed.

I certainly will be back to paddle again. It's hard for me to imagine what Algonquin is like during the height of the season. There were many more campsites per waterbody then I'm used to in the Adirondack wilderness areas. La Verendrye is closer to home and a couple of people suggested there. I may have to bone up on my French for that trip though.

I saw no other pack canoes.

I just found it funny that on the portage from Little Misty to Misty the map warns of it being very muddy. By my standards it was a walk in the park. ;)

Keith.. most of the activity is on the fringe.. Dive deep in the middle put some nice 3000 meter portages behind you and you will find solace and serenity. My first solo was Rain-Moccasin- Misty Petawawa R.. White Trout, Big Trout Longer, Shippagew, Tim RIver, Queer, Little Trout, Ralph Bice and Hambone Daisy and Rain It was at the end of August. I do remember lots of people on Ralph Bice. Back then it was called Butt Lake

Two entry poiints always seem popular.. Where you went in and down on Rt 60 by Canoe Lake. I favor putting in at Kioshkokwi.. Its a further piece for Torontonians to get to and rentals not so handy.

Id not attempt those in August but up to the middle of June and after Labor Day I have never even made a reservation.

PS the ground was probably still frozen. Ice out was just about a week before. Maybe you should test later in the season.. The Adirondacks were ice free way before Algonqun this year.

That said this is Ontario Parks crown jewel and gets lots more attention and maintenance than other parks

For a change of pace Greenstone awaits you and your chainsaw

No Title

Keith, I'm glad your first backcountry trip to Canada was a success. Enjoyed the test paddle and the photos. Have a great paddling season.

Attachments

• photo4756.JPG
    photo4756.JPG
    596.1 KB · Views: 0
Real nice trip Keith, and beautiful photos. You timed your trip just right - right in between snow melt and black flies.

Glad to meet you Martin. Always fun to meet like minded people. Thanks for the insight into the lack of moose, Algonquin PP, etc. Have a good season.

Odyssey, I originally thought I'd go mid-June and changed my plans to mid-May and then started to get worried the ice would not be out. In spite of the cool weather to start, it turned out to be the right time. Dumb luck on my first try.

YC that is good to know. It's a big park and it would be surprising if there wasn't solitude somewhere.

Last edited:
I had enjoyed the TR soon after you posted and as a fellow east coaster was curious as to your impressions of the park et al after similar experiences in the east and ADKs. Today I remembered to go back and take some time to really look at and enjoy your many photos in the off-site album. Thank you much for sharing.

Great report and photos! You put in some pretty big days. I covered a lot of that ground last summer and they were long days for us, but we always double portage. Thanks for sharing.

Back