• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

A new canoe support group in Florida. A rambling thought.

Reaction score
Well about a month ago received an invitation to join a meet up group for canoes only. Mission statement is that they want to see more canoes on the water. This sounded good to me so we joined up with "a canoe meetup". Didn't hurt that the first trip was the Econ witch was a run I have been trying to set up a shuttle for.

Found out a few things. The wife and I really do not do good in groups. We got a long just fine but there was just some thing missing with all the other people around. Wife's words not mine. The trip started late for us. Yeah a little before ten am. We prefer dawn. Due to the group being new the leader invited her other group along (Florida sport paddlers. Used to belong to this group way back in the early 80's.) So we ended up with four canoes and four kayaks. Only one tandum canoe. The wife and I. My wife has a unique view on canoeing. Tandum is best as it allows her to work together with me. Doing it togeater as a team is why she comes along. The rest of the canoes were solo's using a kayak paddle. Kayaks are a lot harder to get in and out of than a canoe. The Econ was at a very low level and required many small portages due to dead falls. This led to the observation. Have found out my little city is a hot bed of canoeist. Out of 15 members 3 come from my city.

Will we go out with the group again? Yes when they go some ware that we need a shuttle. They are nice people though my family likes the wilderness by our selfs. Ok ramble off.

I hear you on the group thing.. If they are friends we might go cause they are friends.( and I would count people here as friends) Otherwise we don't do groups often and if we do we kind of expect some sort of selfish perk ( like a shuttle)
OTOH if you are interested in seeing the group grow it might be worthwhile to go along with more of the outings.

I also like to tandem for he same reason...the ability to work together with someone to achieve more than yoiu can alone. Groups are ok...nice to mix it up with some new people sometimes.

Back