• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

2023 Pine Barrens Functional Freestyle Canoe Workshop, Oct. 13-15

I hold out hope that Marc will offer functional freestyle here in Florida one of these days.

I hold out hope that Marc will offer functional freestyle here in Florida one of these days.

He used to for several years just north of Jacksonville in Yulee, FL. I thought the FSU Reservation might be a better place and even took videos of the lake, beach, cabin and other facilities when I was visiting Tallahassee in 2010.

Chain of lakes above Lake Bradford would be much better, except Cascade is dry right now and I’m unsure if the construction on Capital Circle will preserve the pass through so one can still do the whole chain. Lots of cypress to wind your way through and the narrow runs between lakes are great fun. I don’t much care for the Res or Lake Bradford.

One of Marc’s articles or posts elsewhere included some spots in the Ocala National Forest IIRC.

Chain of lakes above Lake Bradford would be much better, except Cascade is dry right now and I’m unsure if the construction on Capital Circle will preserve the pass through so one can still do the whole chain. Lots of cypress to wind your way through and the narrow runs between lakes are great fun. I don’t much care for the Res or Lake Bradford.

One of Marc’s articles or posts elsewhere included some spots in the Ocala National Forest IIRC.

Yes, but for a multi-day canoe instructional there needs to be indoor housing facilities, shower and bathrooms, a meeting room, a dining facility that can be catered, a nightime congregation facility, etc., plus a lake for intructionals. Nearby streams for recreational paddling are an added benefit for after the symposium days—other than the Pine Barrens Functional Freestyle symposium, which is the only one that integrates a river paddle into the curriculum. That's the "functional" part: how the freestyle maneuvers learned on the lake actually function on a river.

Back