• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

2 1/2 months winter camping in the BWCA

That guy has quite the set of wilderness skills, but as far as jumping through a hole in the ice for practice, I think I will risk a sudden cold water immersion unrehearsed.

If I were up for trips like that I would consider going in before ice up, stay a while and then stashing the canoe and tent before hiking out. I would return before breakup and wait for ice out then paddle out.

If I were up for trips like that I would consider going in before ice up, stay a while and then stashing the canoe and tent before hiking out. I would return before breakup and wait for ice out then paddle out.

FYI. Don't ask permission to do that, it's illegal to stash stuff in Wilderness.

He sure is the real deal. I'm normally ok with aging and my limitations, but his story sure got me dreaming about how great it would be to be young again and have a chance to do a trip like that. But it ain't gonna to happen so I'm good with his report.
I think some of the pictures got omitted, sure would have liked to see his wall tent set up and his campsites.

Thanks Alan for posting that, I really enjoyed it.

Really impressive! Reminds me of the dudes and dudettes on the History channel show "Alone". That's another talented set of folks...

Dont you guys go getting any ideas now. Especially you Robin. It WOULD be great to be young enough to do a trip like that but then again we WERE young at one time and this sort of thing never entered our minds, for good reason. We are not Dick Prenneke.

I dont even like to walk to the post office in the winter.

Christine

He sure is the real deal. I'm normally ok with aging and my limitations, but his story sure got me dreaming about how great it would be to be young again and have a chance to do a trip like that. But it ain't gonna to happen so I'm good with his report.

The way I deal with those missed opportunities is to take an easy 3 or 4 day trip and read about someone elses big adventure, it's almost the same as being there.

Young person builds their skills, gear kit, and plans, and then goes and does it. I hate people like that. LOL.
I'd like to see how he built that toboggan. And mukluks too. Good plan using an aluminum canoe for winter travel.
While it looks dicey jumping into a frozen lake to practise emergency response, I'll bet he's very calm and methodical in a well practised way in dealing with it. That's the point after all, isn't it? Me, I'd rather miss that class. Just let me take the written test, thanks very much.
He really hits a pleasure nerve with me, when he mentions watching freeze up. It's those in-between seasons that can be the most dramatic and beautiful. People go gag ga over summer and autumn for sure, and winter too. But between the 4 seasons are special too. Except spring bug season. I could miss that plenty happy.

Great trip report and the photos were a nice accompaniment to his story. Not sure I could pull that off myself. I've done most of those things as individual projects (made mukluks, a toboggan, etc.) but not really sure I could put it all together for that length of time. Really makes one think about their abilities; especially to being alone all that time.

Odyssey - Regarding make the toboggan, it can be pretty easy once you have your boards. We made an 11' birch toboggan for our Native American program a few years ago. We boiled the heck out of the front until it was pliable. Once it was a bit like mostly cooked spaghetti we took it out of the boiling water and jammed the front into a "V" created by a split tree. We carefully bent the front end up to where we wanted it and then tied it off in place. We left it there for about 24 hours and then took it out of the split. The toboggan is now almost 8 years old and the curve has never budged. My guess is this individual did something similar since he had lots of time but limited tools.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Imagining what's going through Alan's head right now.

I too dreampt of such adventures, as a child. With my best friend, we built shelters on some vacant land, ate up everything about Mountain Man living. Hunted, trapped, fished, and camped every chance we could. I can remember three cold water plunges, but not at 35- !

But girls, sports, cars, and jobs to pay for the first three, came into our lives.

That is a worthy Adventure for sure. Memories to last a lifetime !

I still love it, just in shorter duration

Thanks for posting Alan !

Jim

I wonder what shape his vehicle was in when he got out, or if he somehow arranged a ride out from the put-in?

Thanks Robin.
Serious axe and knife skills (and patience) making that toboggan. And that drill is amazing.

I subscribed to his channel. a while back. Cool !
I had a dream like that once, just not the skills, or confidence to try it !

Patient for more from him !

Jim

I had a dream like that once, just not the skills, or confidence to try it ! Jim

You must have been reading my mind. I am extremely envious of anyone with those types of skills. As far as the confidence, I would be willing to give something a little easier (and safer) a try but my wife doesn't have enough confidence in my abilities. She gets concerned when I go with other geezers and not one of our adult sons. Solo's are a no-no as far as she is concerned. Our oldest son (47) keeps telling her I would not do anything stupid or dangerous. Youngesr son (almost 46) tends to side with his mother but I have trouble getting him to go with me.

Back