• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Videos from Down the Bloodvein and Back

Reaction score
I wasn't planning to take much video when I started on the trip but ended up shooting quite a bit of it once out there and am glad I did. It's fun to look back on the videos and hear the commentary. Still shots are nice but videos are a good change of pace for me. I'll try and upload another video each day. I think there will be about ten.

Part 1:

Alan

Last edited:
Great vid Alan. I was trying to read Sadies mind while sitting in the rain . " I told Alan we'd be needing the umbrella !" HA !

Jim

Spruce bugs is the generic name for the beetles. Can be nasty biting things, like to get tangled in hair (no problem for you there). Most people run in terror from them.

Really enjoying these videos Allan, nice job on that portage tough going. Running the rapids was neat, Keep em coming,

Maybe it was the camera angle, but you looked like you were going to slam into those rocks at the 1:27 mark. Lots of suspense for the viewer. Great stuff.

Last edited:
I got it ! Thanks Alan.
If only Sadie could paddle ! I bet that crossed your mind a few times ! HA !

Maybe it was the camera angle, but you looked like you were going to slam into those rocks at the 1:27 mark. Lots of suspense for the view. Great stuff.

I certainly noticed that too. It was early in the trip and my memory is fuzzy so I don't quite remember what was going on. I think I was worried about some rocks on the right and was waiting to clear them before moving over. Sure looked close.

It's interesting to look back on running this first rapid. I can remember scouting it and thinking long and hard about if I wanted to run it or portage. I was pretty nervous but told myself I didn't come to the Bloodvein just to portage Class I and Class II's, I had to start learning somewhere as I had a whole river to go. While I certainly didn't turn into a pro on one trip I did run quite a few rapids and pushed my limits much harder than the one in the video above. So looking back I kind of chuckle when I remember my trepidation and think, "If only you knew what was coming...."

If only Sadie could paddle ! I bet that crossed your mind a few times ! HA !

Every time we'd bang off an unnexpected rock I'd remonstrate her and say, "You're the bow dog, it's your job to watch out for those things!"

Alan

I'm glad to hear you're all enjoying the videos. I was afraid they'd be too long and get boring. Well, that might happen yet, there are a lot to go. As with photographs and writing editing is the hardest part.

Part #3 - The weather changes with the province:

Alan

They get better all the time !

Wondering if you bothered to filter the water ?

Jim

Great videos Alan. I have been watching them with karin...just like being there. Thanks for sharing.

Christy

Wondering if you bothered to filter the water ?

Jim

I decided to try a gravity filter for the first time. Have heard lots of good things about the Sawyer filter but didn't want to buy the whole kit, with bags, as I already have Camelbak bags and rigging together some 1/4" hose and fittings shouldn't be a problem. But you can't buy just the filter. So I bought this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...c8V40eL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

It's much cheaper but uses the same filter as their gravity bag systems. Figured I'd use the bottle (just dip and sip) for use during the day and then put the filter on the bags for gravity use in camp. It's just a simple 1/4" hose connection on each end. As it turned out the bottle worked great and was very handy (no need to filter during the paddling day) but I never once used it as a gravity filter. Everything I drank came through the bottle and everything for cooking and hot chocolate came straight out of the lake/river with no filtering. I back-flushed it once after 2 1/2 weeks with the included syringe. It was starting to slow up again at the end of the trip.

The only bad part about the bottle is that it's impossible to look manly while sucking from a straw.

This all reminds me I should go dig it out of my car, right now before I put it off again, and clean it up.....

Alan

Back