• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Trip Report from Australia - pics and vid

G

A great mate named Fraser and I headed off for a 4 night canoe trip last week. The wind had us needing to change our route at the last minute which didn't impact the trip that much but sure did add to the effort required to get around. The two lakes are smallish in size and are a part of the Myall Lakes area in NSW about 3 hours drive north of Sydney.

Day / Night 1. Our first leg was a short paddle heading north on Two Mile Lake with the wind at out backs from Korsemans landing the sunnyside campsite. The campsite was set back from the lakes edge but was still open to the winds that gusting to 25kph so we needed to use the canoes as a wind break. Over the past few weeks I had made a modification to some PUP tents or Half shelters as they can be called. This allows the side of the tent to open and makes for a great sized tent that was very wind prove and allows a nice porch setup.

Day / Night 2. An early start to the day knowing we had was work ahead. The plan is to paddle East and into Boolambayte lake then South to Johnsons campsite. The wind was still blowing hard and as we rounded pigeon point the White caps told us we were in full a fight. We paddled for three hours to cover the 4 KMs heading south. Once at the southern edge of the lake we mid the extra trip accross to the eastern side where we had heard that there was a track that linked the two lakes, as we had packed for a 'non portage' trip, it was unlikly that we would take it up but we wanted to check it out just in case the wind turned around tomorrow. We were in our hammocks for this night after a beer, a nice meal and glass of red.

Day / Night 3. This day would be are longest paddle by distance but was nothing really long only about 8kms. We woke to a great view North up the lake with the heavy skies adding to the feel. We were on the water early with the wind forecast seeing it turn to a northerly mid morning, which would work out great for path. As we round pigeon point again the conditions cleared and we had some nice sun the enjoy. The clear sky was encouraging as our final campsite ( Freashwater ) had a great view west over the water for a great sunset. We were camp by midday and didn't do much but enjoy being outdoors and each other company for the afternoon. I had been thinking of using my canoe as a shelter for some time so that was my setup for the final night. The sunset didn't disappoint.

Day 4. We woke to very still conditions and whilst the paddle back to the cars was only short we couldn't leave without going on a round trip back with the water being so calm. A very enjoyable trip, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• photo1193.jpg
    photo1193.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1194.jpg
    photo1194.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1195.jpg
    photo1195.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1196.jpg
    photo1196.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1197.jpg
    photo1197.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1198.jpg
    photo1198.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1199.jpg
    photo1199.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1200.jpg
    photo1200.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1201.jpg
    photo1201.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1202.jpg
    photo1202.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why it has saved in that formate, makes it a little hard to read. I have tried editing but it saves the same.

I edited the post so that the days are separated. I watched both videos,(the second video appears after the first one is finished) very interesting, I like your ideas with the tents and tarps.

Kangaroo was nice to see, are there dingo's in the area, if so, do they howl at night? The bird sounds in the background are an added plus. Nice trip, Thanks for sharing.

Really enjoyed your vids, especially since it looks like no more canoeing for us until Spring. Open sleeping quarters...no vicious biting bugs? I like how you keep such a tidy camp. Looks like a great trip.

Really scenic trip! Thanks for the photos, videos and map.

I'm glad I finally found the time to watch the second video.

Very pretty area you were in.

Back