Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webbing seat staple length?

Colleagues,

What staple length do you recommend for 1-1/2" seat webbing? McMaster-Carr has 3/8" stainless steel staples in the standard Arrow T-50 3/8" wide crown pattern but only in 3/8" length. Their "Nickle" staples are in several lengths but at more than twice the cost....

Thanks

Lance

What is the seat frame made of? I've never tried it but I'd be surprised if you could drive a T-50 staple into something like ash unless you had a pneumatic gun for them. But maybe I'm wrong.

I use my 18 gauge bostitch narrow crown stapler with 1/2" staples just because it's what I have.

Alan

Comment

Most seats I redo in webbing I use a short staple, I'd have to go look for the length, maybe a 1/4"? It's not a 1/2", no offense Alan! Like you I go with what I have on hand. Most times it's ash seats so I do have to use a small hammer to tap them in tight. I think I have write up of doing that and if I can find I'll send you a link or post here. Pretty simple to do and I find it relaxing. One hint, if you have a propane noozle on a small tank you can heat up a putty knife blade and then melt the webbing for a clean cut.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

I have two pneumatic staplers. One is a construction gun and not a candidate for this stuff. The other is a current production Bostitch pneumatic stapler that will shoot 18 or 16 gauge staples. I doubt the Bostitch throwing 3/8" staples will care at all that the seats are ash. If 3/8" will do the job that's what I'll order. I need to order some other stuff from McMaster-Carr anyway.

And Alan is correct in that a test drive on scrap ash with a manual T-50 stapler with regular steel staples wasn't the answer I was looking for.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Comment

As an update: I was in the local Lowes this evening and they have Arrow T-50 stainless steel 3/8" crown staples in 1/4, 5/16. 3/8 and 1/2" for $12 or less a box......

If you have a Lowes nearby and they don't stock them you can always use the free "Ship to store" option.

Best regards to all,

Lance
          Last edited by LanceR; 01-10-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I use 3/8 stainless with a hand stapler for my webbing, have no problem driving them into ash.

Comment

Originally posted by memaquay View Post
              I use 3/8 stainless with a hand stapler for my webbing, have no problem driving them into ash.
              Same. Arrow T50 3/8” (10mm) stainless staples from Home Depot.

I cut the webbing long enough that I can use two staples, offset on the bottom of the seat frame, and then fold the webbing under itself and single staple it to the inside of the seat frame.

PC311526 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I don’t have pneumatic staple guns and use a Black & Decker/Arrow Powershot stapler, a forward action design that places pressure directly above the staple instead of at the opposite end of the gun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fa...5700/100049752

Just to make sure nothing is sticking up leg scrapy when kneeling I tap the staples fully into the webbing.

PC311527 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Webbing ends folded under and stapled to the inside of the seat frame there is no hot putty knife cut end of the webbing showing and nothing exposed to possibly unravel.

PC311523 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Comment

As food for thought when you put a staples straight across the weave of the fabric the staple legs bear on only a few cross strands of the weave. If the staple is driven at a diagonal angle to the weave you load twice the fiber strands with the staple so the fabric is less likely to tear or stretch. I'm not sure just how much this matters with nylon or polyester webbing but it's just a habit from my days learning how to upholster furniture.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Comment

Has anybody got thoughts on current sources for 1-1/2" polyester seat webbing? What I'm seeing if I shop around seems to be pretty fairly priced at $70-82 USD/100 yds in black but I don't see anything with good color choices for less than $.80 a foot ($240/100 yards). I'll use black if I have to but if I can get a better price by the foot I'd refer to use green with maybe an accent color. I have three seats to do and if I buy a 100 yard roll the remainder will just go into "shelf stock"....

https://customtiedowns.com/product_f...atid=1&parid=0

https://www.hudson4supplies.com/poly...-the-yard.html

Thanks for the input.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Comment

Lance, In the past I bought my polyester webbing at Country Brook Designs at what seems to be a reasonable price. The website is a bit difficult to navigate, but if you search around I imagine you'll find what you're after. They have lots of colors. I use 2" webbing, but I think I've seen the 1 1/2 inch on there. Ripstop by the roll has 2" black seatbelt polyester webbing for a bargain price of $7 for 25 feet, which I believe is just enough for 2 of my seats.

Mark

Comment

I agree with Mark, I've used Country Brook in the past and was happy with their selection, price and it arrived very quickly.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check them out.

Lance

Comment

I’ve used Rochford Supply. They have seat belt and poly webbing (and nylon and etc) and occasionally have specials on close-outs and seconds.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/

Comment

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Any thoughts on this?

https://customtiedowns.com/webbing/1...ester-webbing/

Lance
                              Last edited by LanceR; 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X