No announcement yet.

PLUMB Axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father bought me a double bit Plumb cruisers axe of that same vintage, when I was in the sixth grade. It was a great axe, l limbed many cords of trees with it. Those older axes were well made as chain saws were relatively new back then and were very heavy, axes were still used a lot in the logging industry. I also built some wonderful log "Forts" with it too. My first camping & canoe trips were taken with that axe, I didn't know about single bits until I was older. I would still be using it, but it was lost, when my childhood home burned down about twenty-five years ago. A friend of the family dug a big hole with his D-8 cat, shoved the burnt husk of the house in the hole, then covered it with the dirt from the hole. There is a nice stand of white spruce growing there now.
    "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

With birhday money from my grandparents, I bought a myself a small Plumb hand hatchet at the local Coast to Coast iwhen I was 12 or 13 (Late 70's ). I am pretty sure it would have been on the cheap end of the spectrum. I still have it but never really loved it.

Comment

BB brought back some Great memories for me !
        As a kid in the early 60's, my best friend and I built a "Fort", on some, near by vacant land that was over grown with Ash.
        We each "Borrowed" our Dad's hand axes. I Loved that small hatchet ! I could easily fell a 6" Sapling !
        We used Stripped bark from the Ash, for lashings. Stored Stolen green apples in the Fort. Cooked Cambells soup in a Folgers Coffee can, and Fried up our first Barn Pigeon, in bacon grease.
        The pigeon was harvested with our Daisy pump BB guns. All on a Sterno Stove !

That was Camping !

Jim
        Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

I wonder now, "What were the poor people's children doing for fun?" We were so wealthy back in those days that we could save those great memories for the future. I bet you forgot to mention smoking those corn silk cigarettes or maybe you experimented with Kinnikinnick the traditional Native American smoke in a pipe like we did.
          One of the neighbor farm boys found a ragged tarp that had blown off it's load into the ditch. We moved that tarp around to different "forts" in a nomadic fashion depending on the season, with primitive tump line, each kid trying to outdo the others in how far we could portage a that heavy tarp. Wonderful memories of speared pike, suckers & sheepshead dinners baked on a plank. In season we feasted on roasted sweet corn. In the Autumn we hunted grouse with single shot .22's. Steven's Favorite being the rifle we all coveted.
          "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

I'm not sure where I got this Plumb but I use it to help out when cutting firewood. Not that I ever pinched a bar, but in case I do I'm told it's good to have an ax handy. Not sure of the weight but it's a 27" handle. I ground the head back to square.

Last edited by Robin; 03-25-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Robin;n78618]I'm not sure where I got this Plumb but I use it to help out when cutting firewood. Not that I ever pinched a bar, but in case I do I'm told it's good to have an ax handy. Not sure of the weight but it's a 27" handle. I ground the head back to square.

Robin,
              Can't see the photos.
              Jon
              Last edited by Robin; 03-25-2018, 06:51 AM.
              ...better to be up the creek without a paddle than not be on the water at all!!!

Comment

Same here Robin

Comment

Initially I could see Robin's photos in this post. Not any more.

Comment

Originally posted by alsg View Post
                    Initially I could see Robin's photos in this post. Not any more.

I'm note sure if Google Photos is all that reliable to share pics anymore.

Here are the pics

Comment

Nice axes, Robin and alsg. Alsg, looks like yours has been used pretty hard, maybe chopping roots? (don't we all have an axe for that?). I would take the 3 way compromise route-preserve/restore/use it, which would reflect its value, condition, and sentimental value. Like you said- knock off the loose paint and the oil the handle, sharpen the bit, keep off rust with an occasional oiling, and use it!

Comment

By the way, I have a Plumb hewing hatchet from the 80's with the epoxy hafting. If this turns into a "show me your axes" picture and story thread, that
                        's fine by me!

Comment

Working...
                        X