No announcement yet.

I joined the Square Stern Mafia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Tupper in the ADK’s? No motors allowed unless you happen to own property lakeside!!
    Is your last name Whitney or Vanderbilt?
    DEC rangers on official business can use motors too
    See stripperguy's photos

Comment

I had a traditional square end in aluminum, but could never love it. I found I did better with a side mount 2 hp on a double end canoe. I really sold out to the dark side and acquired an original Grumman Sport Boat a few years ago. It is "only" 120 lbs and handles a motor much better than the real canoe. It has enough of a flat hull that it planes nicely with two people with an 8 hp engine. I would not want to paddle it 5 or 10 miles, but it is ok for short stretches with a paddle, and works great with oars.

Comment

Wow, an 8 horse on a grumman sport! That's gotta be some excitin' stuff right there! Don't take your hand off the tiller!

Comment

Back when the BWCA had motor routes we used side mounted 2 and 3 hp Johnson's on our double ender 17 foot Grumman's to run out to the end of a motor route, stash the motor and the motor mount then paddle to our secret fishing spots. All the motor mounts I saw back then were made by welders on night shifts in the iron mines. First pack was always placed on the opposite side of the canoe prior to fastening the motor on the mount. Putting the motor on first made the canoe go belly up. Also back in those days the Forest Service gave locals a annual permit to use the BWCA, At the end of the year you returned the permit with the dates and routes of all your trips. Those of us that were college students that worked summer jobs in the Iron mines worked shift work, so we had odd work weeks having our days off during the week. We would get off day sift during a week day, drive to a put in, be into our preferred lake at sundown or somewhat later. We would fish and camp for a couple of days then be back at work for a week of evening shifts. Once a month we got what was called a long week-end. We got off mid-night shift in the Thursday mornings and would not have to be back for five days. That is when took our longer trips into the Quetico Park, in those days you could take a motor anywhere in the park.
          I also have a Grumman Sport Boat and used them a lot in my job with a 9.9 hp motors, I even saw one going upstream on the Yukon with a 15 hp. These days I only use my Sport Boat for fishing and have found that a four stoke 2 hp Honda is all I need. It rows nicely, if a stealthy approach is needed to sneak up on a trout, my six foot guide paddle works great.
          I got my Sport Boat at a State excess used equipment sale. Seems the Game Wardens used them to run up shallow rivers. They took the back seat out, cut a hole in the floor and stern and bolted in a jet ski motor and pump. The craft was controlled by a throttle, stick and rudder from the front seat. I never saw one in action but, they went like hell when they were running but, they were a nightmare to maintain. I had to remove all the add on's, patch the hole in bottom and stern, build a back seat but, it works like a charm and has for the last 30 years or so.
          "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Working...
          X