I joined the Square Stern Mafia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined the Square Stern Mafia

Today I bought a "like new" square stern wood canvas canoe/trailer/2.5 yamaha 4 cycle from my friend Schuyler Thomson as he closes out his long career of building/restoring wood canvas canoes and restoring boats in general.

This boat was built by Schuyler as a wedding present for a friend, but his friend has been climbing the corporate ladder and storage space soon became an issue. The canoe was returned and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

During the negotiations a new 14' Chestnut fox knockoff hull was thrown into the mix and today I pulled the trigger and bought both.

My days of long (or even short) portages are over due to some recent health issues, but holding onto a tiller and cruisin' a big Canadian lake is still something I plan on doing. Lots of room for my wall tent, wood stove and canvas packs.

I'm thinking a new square stern "secret handshake" is in order, similar too but not the same as the "cold handle frying pan" shake or the "15' Chestnut Chum" shake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16' ss.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	100058Click image for larger version

Name:	14' Fox 2.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	100059
    Attached Files

What to say Robin? Very Sweet! I know my portaging days are numbered. The day may come where I join the Mafia! Do you by any chance live near open big water to give it a test drive?

The second picture of that hull is beautiful. What are you doing with that?

Comment

Lucky bastard!!! I'm happy for you Robin!! I hope it gives you plenty of trips!!

Comment

Originally posted by dougd View Post
        Do you by any chance live near open big water to give it a test drive?

The second picture of that hull is beautiful. What are you doing with that?
        Thanks Doug, There are a few reservoirs nearby, all part of the Farmington River system and the Connecticut and Housatonic Rivers are all good places to putt around. That wood canvas canoe hull is 14' Chestnut Fox knockoff, it will make a nice nimble solo daytripping canoe for me, I'll put a lightweight canvas (#12) like Murat V did to his. I have 3 canvas canoes to canvas this winter now, all Chestnuts, life is good and getting gooder by the day.

Thanks Canotrouge, I appreciate that.

Comment

In my childhood we plyed the waters of the bwca with a square stern and a 3 hp Evinrude, then they banned motors and that was that.
          Not all who are lost wish to be found..............

Comment

Congrats Robin. I once had a big old Herter's 18' square back that made a great platform for fishing and was stable enough to use as a blind for duck hunting. Enjoy!

Comment

Both boats are drop dead gorgeous and look very special. Your friend does nice work. Congrats!

Comment

I can send you the pirate flag for your launch if you want! That is a seriously beautiful SS, I takes me back to a forgotten time, when that type of boat was king of the North. I hope you can get up here so we can ply the big waters "under power"! Imagine the fishing!

Comment

Congratulations Robin.

Beautiful rig, and being "like new", it should serve you well for making lots of new memories. While I love paddling a traditional canoe, my 16' square stern canoe, from 1982, has slowly over the years, become my favorite choice to take. It felt like cheating back when I first got mine, to run either electric or gas, but now just the opposite. Seems practical now.
                  That is a fine looking rig, and your association with it's builder makes it even more special.
                  And I'll bet it won't take you long to appreciate loading onto a trailer.

Congrats again, and welcome to the SS world.

I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Comment

Now only Brad needs a y or square stern, then we can work out how to get them all into Marshall lake, or Faubert.

Lovely boat/canoe Robin. Awesome.
                    One man's Wilderness is another man's theme park. ~Unknown~

Comment

Those are some great acquisitions Robin. Look forward to seeing a trip report and pics of the motor too. Sounds like you’re going to have a great winter in the shop!

Cheers,
                      barry
                      My canoe can beat up your kayak.

Comment

Nice boat Robin, lots of good luck with it. I'm not taking credit for it, but I did recommend a big boat with a trailer as a good option for us older guys. I'm thinking a 20 foot double ender with a motor mount and trailer would work for me.

Comment

As one gets older one is tempted by the darkside.

As long as you don't trade in the CH pans for Lodge you'll be OK
                          Last edited by sweeper; 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

It will be easy to trip with the hot tent now, and with all the comforts of home away from home. Can't wait for the first TR!

Comment

I am curious: are motors allowed on Little Tupper? I think not and now in my old age I think what a shame!
                              But what a boat for Chesuncook or West Branch above it ! Or Chamberlain!
                              There was a Chestnut square stern with trailer for sale here in town last year and now I am smacking my head for being a doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X