• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Wooden paddle for Canoe tripping

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a wooden paddle for canoe tripping in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park/Quetico PP. I always wanted a modified ottertail by Kettlewell paddle but to my dismay he has retired. The good news is his legacy lives on with a new name, Fishell Paddles. Has anyone here bought/used a Fishell paddle, and can they offer any opinion as to wether they have maintained the high quality that kettlewell was known for.

I am also looking at the tripper made by Badger.

Not sure what you mean by second paddle. I assume you mean on a trip. Right now I have a cheap beaver tail, so that would be my second paddle. My fiance has the tripper by Badger.

That is what I meant yes. We have been getting some reasonable wooden ottertails ( Grey Owls) at MEC in Winnipeg. Wilderness Sports has Ravens if you wanted to go with graphite. Not ottertails, I know, but still nice and light. We have a bent and it is nice for all day type paddling...no sore neck screaming at the end of the day.

Another option for wood paddles is Doug Ingram at Red River Canoes in Lorette MB. He makes pretty nice ones. He is rather busy at present with a run of racing canoes but if you wanted to wait for one??

Christy

Wow, Doug Ingram at Red River Canoes has some gorgeous paddles. I had never heard of him before, unfortunately the $250 price tag is bit much right now. The badger and Fishell are $130 which is more in my budget range. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Both of the ottertails we own were less than $100, one from MEC the other from Wilderness Supply. There is a Wilderness store in T'Bay. I've had mine about 5 years without any issues, it is a Grey Owl.

WCPP will require a spare paddle if using that park. One for sure with a solo, possibly 2 if tandem, but even Transport Canada rules require a spare as far as I know. Even if on a day trip we take a spare. We only have one carbon paddle we found floating in an eddy, otherwise all we use are wood.

Karin

Hi everyone,

I will be bringing a second paddle. Right now I am using a fairly cheap beaver tail paddle. I will make sure I bring this along on any of my trips, I also won't be going out solo, I plan on tripping with my fiancé.

The paddle I am looking to purchase will replace that paddle as my primary paddle. So far we haven't done any longer trips, we just got our canoe 2 weeks ago and have done a couple half day trips. But we are hoping to go out for May 24 weekend into the park.

Has anyone here bought/used a Fishell paddle, and can they offer any opinion as to wether they have maintained the high quality that kettlewell was known for.

Fishell's "Special" is probably the same as the older "Ray's Special"... IIRC Ray Kettlewell said that production of his paddle designs would be carried on by another paddlemaker.

The RS is a relaxing paddle to use over the long haul. At first I couldn't tell any difference between it and an ottertail, but as always, good things come to those that wait, and the longer reach of the RS turned out to have a nice difference to it.

As far as the second paddle goes, I bring a wider-bladed paddle for more power when needed, and it feels like the clunkier option when it's being used, not as enjoyable.

PS... paddling is a pretty subjective activity and many will tell you that these aren't the most efficient choices. Well, it's a free whirled out there, whatever floats your goat.

;)

I have a couple Grey Owls ... they are available at quite a few retailers, are good quality and reasonably priced. I am lucky enough that I could go and but them at the plant, really nice folks.

Brian

Can't help you with the Fishell- looked at that site when I was looking for a couple more Kettlewells last year.
My go to paddle is my Kettlewell Ottertail for over 25 years now, a matching custom decorated pair were given as wedding gifts. My second paddle is a bent shaft that is especially useful in shallow river sections.
For traditional paddle shapes and feel, like the Badgers, too.

Bruce

PS... paddling is a pretty subjective activity and many will tell you that these aren't the most efficient choices. Well, it's a free whirled out there, whatever floats your goat.

;)

It is indeed, and I've used lots of different paddle out there, both for WW and tripping and tripping WW... From ultra light Zav and Levass bent shafts paddles, to heavy hard wood trad, Full carbon fibre ww, wood carbon fibre ww and now all wood everything... That said my ww paddle blade is covered with carbon fibre...

For tripping I enjoy the traditional wood paddle of my "own" design inspired by east coast Malecite that I find the most "efficient" in the water and the most versatile!!

I make my own paddle and make some for sell, simple tools of the trade!!

Canoe tripping is one part physics, one part metaphysics, and a whole buncha other stuff. Feel free to discuss, dispute...zzzzzzz.
Choosing a paddle, wooden or otherwise is part and parcel of tripping, and so so personal. I'm happy with my 2 Grey Owls; 1 Sugary Island shape for covering "ground", an Ottertail for more slowly enjoying the whole shabang. The price and quality of these were admirable. I'm interested in trying a Malecite. It's been so long since handling a Beavertail I don't remember how it felt. My bow paddler wife has the grey Owl S. Island type also (called Voyageur IIRC) and is okay with it. I've thought of a bent for her but neither of us are all that concerned with mileage these days (other than our own). Perhaps she ought to reduce the blade area with an animal tail too? When she's tired, daydreamy or just chill'n she stops paddling; that's fine with me.
We only trip with the 1 spare. My original spare was more oar than paddle; heavy and brutish. I dug it out of my woodpile, sanded, stained and urethaned it and gave it to my float plane flying car mechanic. He needed a paddle for emergencies. I wouldn't trip without a spare.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by second paddle. I assume you mean on a trip. Right now I have a cheap beaver tail, so that would be my second paddle. My fiance has the tripper by Badger.

My definition of “second paddle” can fall into several categories, depending on the trip and anticipated uses.

A double blade and a straight single blade most often. Sometimes a double and bent shaft. heck sometimes that pair and a short wood pole, which is triple handy as a walking staff, short tarp pole and shallows pusher.

But back when I only single sticked, after having split a few wood paddle blades, and snapped another at the neck, my preference was for something “light” for the easier waters and a back up/abusive use paddle made more durably. Which at the time (and wallet) meant heavier.

Today the better made composite paddle blades, carbon or even glass/nylon, seem more durable than even a glass covered, “edge guarded” wood blade. And of course, much lighter.

The Catch-22 is that the lighter composite sticks are naturally my go to, and I still bring a heavier but more-likely-to-fail wood paddle as my back up. What I should bring is a heavier, less-likely-to-fail composite paddle. A carbon/glass/nylon creation that weighed as much as a stout wood paddle could be used to lever small cars out of the mud.

It depends on what “second paddle” means to you on this trip. Having two different blade shapes for change of pace, grip or straight/bent stroke? A more durable back up paddle in case best-not-break-this-one failure? Flatwater vs moving water choice of sticks?

I like wood, but I am not a fanatical devotee of wood paddles. I’ll use whatever works best, and I’ll never go back to wood as a primary paddle. Proof in the pudding; I have yet to meet anyone who went to a composite/carbon paddle and regretted it.

So, who makes a carbon/composite animal tail paddle?

Thanks for all the comments

Fishell's "Special" is probably the same as the older "Ray's Special"... IIRC Ray Kettlewell said that production of his paddle designs would be carried on by another paddlemaker.

I knew that the Kettlewell intellectual property had changed hands. What I am struggling to find is someone who has used this paddle, and can attest to the fact that the quality is still high despite this. I cannot find a decent review or comparison anywhere online.

To address Odyssey's point about a paddle being personal. I couldn't agree more, I think that the paddle can be more personal and more meaningful than the canoe itself, at least in some cases. Which is why I was looking for a Kettlewell paddle before finding out they are no longer being made. My father has always used a Kettlewell, so for me it is a connection to the past.

As for a second paddle there are some really good suggestions in here. I had always disregarded composite paddles as racing paddle. This is probably ignorance on my part. i think I may need to give them another look for my second paddle. I have definitely been convinced that my second paddle should at least be something of higher quality then I initially had considered, in order to keep costs down, I might consider something like this https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1903-095/Voyageur-7"-Canoe-Paddle

I like wood, but I am not a fanatical devotee of wood paddles. I’ll use whatever works best, and I’ll never go back to wood as a primary paddle. Proof in the pudding; I have yet to meet anyone who went to a composite/carbon paddle and regretted it.

So, who makes a carbon/composite animal tail paddle?

I can't say I regretted buying a hight hand composite carbon paddle, but I have to say that they haven't seen water in a looooooooonnnng time!!
Wood is good... And I'm yet to snap one to the point that it is not usable...

Back