• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Annual Assembly - Peterborough, ON

I'm signed up, hope to see you there Fitz. Should be getting up mid afternoon on Tuesday. Camping out hopefully around the 1,000 Islands Monday night. Be well.

Hope to see some fellow CanoeTripping.net members over in Peterborough this week for the WCHA Assembly. I've put together a display featuring 10 historic paddle designs to go along with a presentation on Saturday.

WCHA%2Bdisplay%2B24_rs.jpg

I am packed and leaving in the morning. Looking forward to seeing you and your presentation, Murat.

Cheers,

Fitz

I’m up in the 1,000 islands now at family’s house on one of the islands. Nasty lightning and thunderstorm last night.
Safe traveks, hope to be there around 2 this afternoons

Murat, beautiful paddles. I have to leave on Friday, wonder if you could share a short story before I leave about them.
Safe traveks.

Yea Paul Smiths is a nice stable venue. Either way I'll have more time next year wherever it is held.
Kim, if you are heading north near Rockland let me know and stop by for a visit. Or anyone else for that matter.
Jim

Yea Paul Smiths is a nice stable venue. Either way I'll have more time next year wherever it is held.
Kim, if you are heading north near Rockland let me know and stop by for a visit. Or anyone else for that matter.
Jim

I was just there(almost) Sunday! Visiting friends in Rockport!

Great assembly! Had to leave Friday but still had a fun time.
Great meeting Murat and seeing his awesome collections. Also listening to his son play some guitar.
Great meeting Bruce and paddling with him.
I had to cheat a few times and use a double blade because my J stroke turned me to far to the side and I was falling behind the group on the paddles. Also hurt my wrist making corrections. Will hopefully get to practice more this season.
Always great to see Fitz and hang out with the New England crowd.
Met a ton of great people with so many talents.

We went to the Canadian Canoe museum. I

Awesome meeting you to Coldfeet!

Robin was there in spirit with his great wanigan and even Memequay's Outer's club was represented with a Woods canvas pack.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B005_rs.jpg

The theme was Chestnut Canoes so there were quite a lot models lined up.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B035_rs.jpg

Fitz brought his 1930s Bob's Special.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B039_rs.jpg

A really neat one was this very early Chestnut Cruiser, approximated to be late 1920s.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B044_rs.jpg

My little 14ft Chesnut Playmate seemed tiny and crowded with a basket, wanigan and paddles.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B062_rs.jpg

This year's project was to bring back an identical 14ft Playmate back from the dead...and I mean really dead.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B135_rs.jpg

They made quite a lot of progress and plan to bring the boat back to the next assembly.
2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B073_rs.jpg

Fun times all around.

Murat, great pics! I need to figure out how to post some pics this week.
We paddled from the University app 3 1/2 miles on the Trent canal (I'll call it) to the locks. 49 boats floated up and down as they lowered and raised the water level, very cool.
Also went on a paddle led by Kevin Callan (The Happy Camper) on the Indian River near town of Warsaw. Hope I remembered that correctly, loved the area.
I took a bannok workshop on how to make it 26 different ways, believe Andre ran it, fantastic. Then a camping workshop by Kevin Callan. Becky Mason spoke at the evening presentation plus a few others about Chestnuts in England and history of them. Weather was great, very hot at times. So much to do and see, so little time. Best to all.

Summer Camp for Adults (and kids) was awesome as usual. Many, many, many thanks to Murat for showing his wonderful work and providing an absolutely awesome presentation with his son as his very capable assistant!

The brand, spanking new replica 16 foot Chestnut Prospector went for a steal at $2,650. That is one fine tripping canoe.

Please plan ahead and join us next year at Paul Smiths College for our 40th Anniversary. We are planning big events for the special birthday celebration. The more canoe folk, the merrier! The theme will be century old canoes, with some emphasis on Rushton. So get those real old beauties out and dust them off or fix them up. You have a whole year!!

Great meeting you again Fitz and thanks for the kind words. Sorry I didn't get to say a proper goodbye but we needed to head back home after the group photo on Saturday afternoon. Really liked that 1930s Bobs Special you brought.

Kevin Callan posted a short 2 min video on his channel of the daytrip for assembly attendees on the Indian RIver

Hey guys, after attending the "26 ways to make bannok" workshop at the assembly I finally tried it at home this morning. A bit chewy, but I liked it and so did my daughters dog!

That would have been one of the events I would have attended. Anything you can share with us Coldfeet?
Jim

just remembered the post above about Rushton for next year. I

Last edited:
Back