• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Wood stove suggestions

Reaction score
During hunting season I used a canvas tent that somebody gave me a few years ago. I absolutely loved it. But I have no stove for it. For hunting season I just used s propane one and worked great. However I am looking at getting a wood stove for an all night heat or close to it.

The two two I am looking at currently are the Four Dog Stove and the KniCo. Can anybody give me some input on what I should be looking for in a wood stove for an 8x10 tent with the stove jack on the back wall.

Thanks

I have a cheapo stove, and it was 12x12x24 when I bought my then 8x10 tent. (Both stove and tent are much smaller now) I never used it much in really cold weather, and I'm not sure it would be as efficient as those you mentioned.
But, I wonder if any of those stoves you mention are good for a long burn. Most people I read about sleep with a cold stove, and I wonder if it's because these little stoves just can't do a long burn.

Only have experience with the Knico, it's a good stove, relatively cheap, you can even get it from Cabella's mail order when they have a free shipping promo. None of these little stoves will burn over night, and when it's really cold, like -30 or more, you've got to keep them roaring pretty good. Count on heat for a couple of hours. If you drink enough beer, you'll wake up on time to have a leak and stoke the stove.

Four Dogs are a heavier in weight and heavier duty stove than the Kni-Cos. Not sure if you'd get a longer burn out of a Four Dog, but you'd get longer life typically. Four Dogs are also quite a bit more expensive and don't wait for a shipping promo...not going to happen. And all night heat, forget it. These stoves just don't have the size or mass to make that happen. But again, a Four Dog is going to be a longer burning stove, given the same relative sizes, w a baffled fire box, and a gasket type door. It's an all around step up, but you are gonna pay for it in costs, shipping, ease of transport to your campsite, etc. And 8x10' is a easy size to heat and you get the chill off fairly quickly with even a smallish stove. Using only hardwoods and some careful burning will greatly increase your enjoyment of those really cold nights.

I don't burn overnight cause I like to try and sleep without worrying about either the fire needing to be stoked or having a burning stove going when I am asleep. I do get a nice burn going just as I am going off to bed though. If you are comfortable with the burning issues and CO2 issues, perhaps turning on the propane at that point would be the ticket. As far as your sleep system, common sense says that you still pack your sleeping bag to the minimum lowest overnight temps you are expecting to encounter, stove or not.

WinterTrekking website has a lot of information on hot tenting/stoves and plenty of folks to ask specific questions about. Many on CT are members there as well.

I have had what was called a "Sheepherders Stove" for years. It is app 12"X12"X18". It's made of sheet metal, lite weight and folds up if you want to use it that way. I leave mine assembled and sealed the seams with high temp silicone. I store the pipes inside, so it's space efficient. Several of us bought them for 35$ out of Sportsmens Guide. I don't know who has them now-great stove.

my experience, Kni-co, hippy killer, some cheaper tin stove, and now a four dog Ti, if you have the money and the time (for the wait) the Four dog is the best I've used so far!!

The "Dog" stoves and similar are good, but weigh a ton. My sheet metal stove is 10% the weight and it boils water on top which is hard to do on a heavy stove.

I used a folding sheepherder stove when I lived in a tent at one point in my life. Two summers and a winter. It was used daily during the cold of northern Idaho. Held up fine through continuous use. Very light weight and compact. I'm surprised I don't hear much about them here and on wintertrekking.
Jim

here is what I had almost 40 years ago and they are still in business.

http://simsstoves.com/

Last edited:
Yikes! 500$ I should have bought a gross at under 50$ years ago. Mine must be 30 years old and still going strong.

Yikes is right! I didn't even look at the site or prices. I remembered the maker looked up the site and posted the link. Even the basic one is $350 or so. I think I paid $35. I might have the old invoice and literature, I'm going to have to look around for it. It might already be up in Maine.
Jim

They look well made, but the weight is up there. I mean if you don't have to carry it then it is alright, but I like my 12lbs Ti stove a lot!!

Mine is real lite-maybe 16-18ga sheetmetal. I'm amazed it has lasted so long. No deluxe features ,but it does have a handy shelf that attaches to the side. It heats my 8X10 walltent fine down to -20.

Thanks for all the input. So is cooking on a thinner walled stove easier?

So far this is my pros and cons list so far

Kni-Co Pros
Lighter
Cheaper
Better leg set up
Good reviews

Kni-Co Cons
Won't last as long as as Four Dog
Need to buy false bottom so it doesn't burn out
Lighter gauge steel prone to warping

FD Pros
Lifetime purchase, buy once
More efficient burn
Heavier steel will mean durability

FD Cons
Expensive
Heavy
Leg set up looks bad, easy to lose, can't skid them on snow
Not sure when they are going to be available.

In my experience, you don't need a false bottom for the kni co. No-one that I know does that. Perhaps if you were burning daily for a protracted period of time. Also, I have had my kni co red hot, and it has never warped. My understanding is that the only stoves that warp under heat are titanium. I fully expect my kni co to last me the rest of my life, although I am no spring chicken anymore, hopefully that will be another 20 years anyway.

I bought a cheap one like this http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Kni-Co-Packer-Camp-Stove/productinfo/WCS200S/ 12.5 lbs at $144.00

Mine, I cut it down twice cause I don't need a big stove in the temps I camp out in anymore. I even went from a 5" pipe to a 4" pipe, these are easy to customize with a cutter grinder and a pop rivet gun. Mine is starting to get a little warped on top but that is easy to replace if I have too. I have the same legs which I like, one folds inside the other for a nice tight box on your sled.

Close to sixty nights with this stove, I don't burn when I sleep, but morning and evening it gets a workout.

QlAZAApd9cMMVmUZDk-AO30gyBauRWuQadjLY1n37e3PHP2uI-vkRgXOoADSCtWFJCs80VR-TdDlSC2to6-yxeeg0UjflZwRdCvHCrpw_VrKVecr8XipVnD27-VrlkYig8y-1g5FKHw_4J_iw8fGiKkidgG9x61gpjexi5HFqV3FDrDMLGurEGj74s6gRqV91ej8VMPGbQZFPXBSd5bhbsRFl-SKb0mlqkOZoilNjIVy8-B4dblQH4t9srzy_NlZSh-qyCZOupqFI7MAXCxUllVb_SbiuVTEtV8UIr3Ks2cTfWvtTNKdH-496MmZwLChVRLiOmhU4URQ5RXmKKQx3usolI605K_Y-HG1tLy8gLLXnprrMVpl-wQMkwOE5CUIGu65ud7zBTmJ57vHn8XPdmzUPXkhZ7IuEj1ijJ-AShs9c1tw_aY7jhvpfIK575sNfz7KRxRYCS-8SrzrQiHc1pM-1RSFn895PPboot8yA8-dRuWYH7mUu-sAmdeuRnfcIajEWH2MpLYJWvkJBmZ7kDz9U0trLFsmqHCNkadvVtIg1lYMXWBZJqbfrINmLCRo1i1vi3T6KhErypJyNW3usNW-_eJlRFU40RxAHjxUBFeulEk4HYPDO6PU7vWcFZpFQq3WCbsZPYKSOrZmxp3fSw1IZPfzaKC8VjQ=w640-h480-no

RIyrF9OxNncZpLVp5wGFn-f83gGdKgXRzPd16oCWjiOzK6sW0c62V7ygcmHFwSS93QRVLTWBKTXMdXcvR2O59ljXmzgrBxDuo_b2dwTcWWEhX1tNE9YtiAWVy0IeEeRc04ep6dnpSz7bBG8EApMo87yeo3IdE4rU_JMdNHQPNzXXYJi-c6eg6f1TtvqldMO8WFyyAUaIcBmKkdkdXqQo8jUFJn2Ks75aPi45RFJG8pynDKczj3Mzl0iaHStglrTb6Vw5-2tOZG07n7mmDQMxEKhnW2SMV-ZviMVOaIGX9loq4Wj2pxVUH9fpfGZajsTRkR60LsFHIpSxJ1CdojLTDE7qmel2htUQ-4m70IOpPmUj5o-EDX_Ico6OO3ztIqoJAlnopcX_CpkPpDyfIJzrmPaF8VZkfoFENw-EyftHQnACi8K6yo6QfkUFWT-ANlsg2w24qgIC5EE_sWkeJE3_uLmn8B-QWQCrAEzXkNC_ZZHK636VGxymFUZSZvFmQEjPACmTu5H67_dreZGKV-nTLB_nJ01wkNQQsjG5IN59cdGbMaIJ2wsHeJVIddSbrW94-ITnxMdAXu2HPTKg7cuiZ2KOf8rFdZIN2Kr95bsYtjRwpYANUal3JRMr0AlVPen6izah4uOiYXve_aErZmvQBLDiyU8wsqrTmW0=w640-h480-no

Here's a question. Have any of you cold season trippers thought of a double barrel stove?
I watched recently a youtube video by a fella who repurposed a couple small old water tanks (heavy, I know). The bottom combustion box held the fire, the flue gasses pass through a stove pipe into the upper chamber where interior baffles help to exchange the heat, before passing up through the exit pipe. Sounds a little complicated and involved, but the fella says he gets more heat and expels somewhat cooler smoke out the wall pipe.
I'm just trying to give you guys more work to do this winter.

There yes to be kits for a double barrel stove using 2 45 gallons drums. Lots of them up here in the Yukon/Alaska!!

Coldfeet would have to buy a new car just to fit in a double barrel stove...! Even if it was the size of the typical sheet metal stove.

Pounds and cubic inches of size really on the man hauling plastic sleds and I suppose for a large group over an extended time, maybe pulling the load with a sno go, a case could be made for a double, though only in sheet metal.

Its been years since I have seen anyone even using a stack robber for the pipe. The little stoves can be made to work so well for the average use, user and travel conditions, that tuneups like baffles,quality wood, burning techniques, etc are what people concentrate on.

"other's experiences may vary"...

My research came up with this gem. Not conducive to travelling at 60 pounds but it would be amazing in a semi permanent shelter. Or if you travel in by truck or sled

https://www.silverfire.us/multi-tent-dragon

Works at using chimney gases efficiently like the double barrel stove plus a super efficient burn.

I read that this chimney robbers were not great for creosote build up in the chimney.

Last edited:
Back