• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Winter solo trek

Reaction score
Well, this is not a canoe story - Moderators may want to pull this. After our 7 1/2 inch snow strom, the sun came out, the wind picked up and the temps dropped. Despite this, I have been pretty lonesome for the back-country, so I went on a day hike with part of my canoe kit. I just felt like a long walk in the timber ..... and a cup of coffee while watching the sun make the snow sparkle. So I grabed my canvas pack and solo stove, a Nalgene with some water, a bit of coffee and off I went. Temps were single digits, but with the sun, the smell of pine burning and a cup of coffee in my old tin mug ... it brough back some of the love I have for the wild places we all seek. It sure helped to scratch an itch for me ... as I wait for the thaw andto once again travel by canoe.

Bob.

hsW4Z7R.jpg

mFMMt3q.jpg

64QBUrj.jpg

Dad used to talk about “the timber.” Since I moved from Iowa, it’s always been “the woods,” or forest. Thanks for that... I even heard it in his voice. :)

On a backpacking trip, we pulled out a stove at a break and made a little hot buttered rum, and poured it over pieces of leftover (closeout from Walmart, actually) fruitcake. Your site pictures reminded me of that.

Nice trip.

Bob B - Thanks for sharing your day. Nothing wrong with getting out and enjoying the winter woods. It's something I do whenever I can; and I'm fairly certain there are other winter folk here too since there's a winter tripping forum that wasn't part of this site when I first joined.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I hear ya. This was my version a couple of weeks ago. I am looking at going again on Sunday if the weather holds.

Christy

Attachments

• photo10966.jpg
    photo10966.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo10967.jpg
    photo10967.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo10968.jpg
    photo10968.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
Love the pics Christy. We just got another 7 dumped on us ... still snowing. When I finally get it all cleaned up I will take our dogs for a good romp in the snowy timber. I really wish I had a pair of snow shoes, yours look pretty nice.

Bob

I have two sets of traditional wood snowshoes right now...one newer set of oval ones and a pair of Bastiens ( to go with the beloved Huron). that I like too. You can find them here on kijiji for @ $100.

Attachments

• photo9009.jpg
    photo9009.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 0
Hard to beat a Solo trek this time of year ! In my younger days My Bride would drop me off, and I'd walk 3 miles of the frozen river back to our house ! It was always special if, if I could get out Before the Snowmobiles !

Fresh animal tracks were always a delight to read !

Jim

Black Fly,

Funny, my dog was with me, he was using the blanket in the snow. He was off sniffing in the timber and did not make it into the pics. My good buddy Jake and I are seldom apart. On this trek, he and I went out for a bit. Later my wife and our other dog ( Jake's Twin brother ) followed our tracks and met us.I packed up my kit and the 4 of us finished a several mile trek that day. It is always good to see the dogs romping in the snow as well as how beautiful the snowy timber looks on a sunny day.

Bob.

I have done many "primitive" (pre 1840) winter overnight treks wearing my prized wood/rawhide Alaska snowshoes and pulling a narrow wood toboggin. Shinin times.

Most excellent! Winter in the woods is awesome
...and tracking coyotes is much easier ;)

Attachments

• photo12519.jpg
    photo12519.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo12520.jpg
    photo12520.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
Back