• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Wetsuits

Reaction score
I'm thinking of some earlier season river trips on my home waters - the Missouri Ozarks and on some area lakes. Ozark streams are spring fed and some, like the Current, are never much more than 60 degrees. The weather can be chilly on the best of days in March or April, but the rivers are generally well watered and comparatively empty. Since I'm usually alone paddling solo, my concern is hypothermia is I take an unexpected swim. Never happened, but that probably just means I'm due. Question: who wears a wetsuit or just a wetsuit jacket, and if you do, what weight, i.e. .5 mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, etc. Any input will be helpful.

Hays,

Some years ago I used a full body wetsuit for similar conditions here in PA. I used a 5mm and I recall it kept me comfortable, probably not toasty but still a wise choice in gear. You will probably still need to wear some light weight fleece and a wind breaker over it depending on how cold the air temperature is. I found that with a wetsuit, it wasn't very warm when I was bone dry in a canoe. Especially if there was wind. After a season or maybe two, I switched to a dry suit. They keep out the wind and water and you can put whatever layers on you think you need under it to suit the conditions. They are pricey though if you keep a look out you may find one online that meets your budget. That and some may feel that they don't paddle often enough to justify the cost I guess. Mine is 12 years old and still keeps me dry so I feel like I got a bargain. I paddle white water year round even at sub zero temps so I need to be protected and the dry suit fits the bill. Regardless of your budget though, you should at a minimum use a wet suit. For thickness, I can only guess to say that the farther you are from getting dry and warm after a swim, the thicker it should be. They are pretty warm once wet and you are paddling steady. One thing about neoprene is the smell. I still haven't found a substitute for neoprene booties and gloves, and I wash them after every single use to combat that smell they get after wear.

minus 6 degrees (F) on local Class IV river with drysuit

Cheers,
Barry

I dont use wetsuits or drysuits. If I am worried about getting wet I often use my hip waders to keep my lower half dry while entering/exiting the canoe. If it is too cold for summer gear then the preferred options are fleece and wool. Wool especially. It will keep you warmish even when wet. If you are concerned then take a dry bag full of clothes to swap into if you dump. Long johns are pretty useful in those situations.

Dry clothes, fire, hot soup or tea. That is the traditional way to deal with being cold and wet up here.

Just as an aside, the US Coast Guard did a study on cold water immersion and found that the majority of people who end up in cold water do not die from hypothermia. They dont make it that far. The shock of the cold water either induces a heart attack or their lungs shut down and they cant breath....In those cases a drysuit may indeed make a difference.

Christy

The mountain rivers around here are runnable in the spring runoff. Then a 3mm wetsuit or drysuit are warranted. Deep canyons, splashing, and 40 degree water. I have worn wet suits for summer sea kayaking in Puget Sound because the water is never warmer than 55 degrees and land can be a long way away.
For summer canoeing, a paddle jacket can help a lot. Most river swims are not that long unless there are long rapids. Many people will wear a wetsuit vest or a shorty under their clothes. I really think that not enough people dress for immersion especially rafters and sea kayakers. It is a tradeoff between comfort and safety. Polypro or fleece can go under a wetsuit.

Nice photo by Waterdog. I bet you remember that day.

I have used 5mm chest waders for steelhead fishing in the winter in places like western Oregon where it is usually above freezing during the day. They work great. I quit paddling with a friend that insisted on wearing loose hip waders and no PFD for easy rapids in cold water.

I remember an April canoe trip near home a few years ago. I had some experienced outdoor people that didn't know much about canoes. They managed to take 2 swims in easy conditions. They were wearing blue jeans and got in rough shape by the end of the day even though the weather was not that bad.

We used to water ski starting in April with wetsuits and hoods and gloves. The water felt okay unless it was under 40 degrees. I pulled a guy once around Pyramid Lake in February on a slalom ski that had a heavy wetsuit that he wore clothes under.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of some earlier season river trips on my home waters - the Missouri Ozarks and on some area lakes. Ozark streams are spring fed and some, like the Current, are never much more than 60 degrees. The weather can be chilly on the best of days in March or April, but the rivers are generally well watered and comparatively empty. Since I'm usually alone paddling solo, my concern is hypothermia is I take an unexpected swim. Never happened, but that probably just means I'm due. Question: who wears a wetsuit or just a wetsuit jacket, and if you do, what weight, i.e. .5 mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, etc. Any input will be helpful.

If the air + water temp = 100-120 degrees or more, don't worry about it - provided you can get out of the water quickly. That's a lot easier on smaller rivers than lakes or big rivers (assuming no significant whitewater). If the combined temps are 100* or less, go cautiously and be sure the rapids are at least one Class lower than you're comfortable with. I paddle solo, too, and I've found that the two most important items in my boat are (in this order) my sense of caution and a dry bag with a full change of clothes. I've needed both.

I'd discourage wetsuit usage, simply because they don't breathe and you can get awfully cold without going swimming. Best bet is a drysuit top and a wool hat. Keep your torso and head dry and you'll be fine.

Go Dry suit, they are the only real way to go, with them, you don't experience the cold water shock. We use them a lot up here(Yukon), actually on every ww outing I use mine. If you get one, get one that is "breathable" and with feet.

Hi Hays, You present some interesting questions. I leave it to those members who know about wet/dry suits to answer your question. I do know that any floating accident doesn't end once you wade ashore alive.
I'd really spend some time and effort figuring every step that would be required to get me all the way home, safe and warm.
In my considering what to do in the event such and such a thing happens, I'm all too inclined to mentally say "Oh, well I'll just do thus and so...." When push comes to shove I'm chagrined to find that the expected solution turns out to be a whole lot harder than I ever imagined it.

One of the bones we've chewed over here on the site is "Ditch Kits". You know, that collection of things designed to sustain life when things get grim. It is bags of fun to fiddle with various things, fire starters, knives, compasses and the list goes on and on, planning what we will take in our ditch kit. I suspect most of us spend far more time theorizing than practicing making some bit of gear actually work.

I finally broke down a couple of years ago and took my ditch kit into the back yard and practiced with everything. I think it was just about this time of year as well. If not particularly pleasurable, it was an eye opener.

I never did it, but if you really wanted to strive for realism, have your wife dump a bucket of water down your collar and then practice away!

And oh...Welcome to the site!!

Rob

I know most are advocating for a drysuit and if I had the $$$, or paddled cold WW all the time I would invest too. However, a dry suit is way more economical if just to be used as a "just incase". We had the same feeling as you, we have never dumped a canoe (except in warm WW conditions) but were starting to feel like we were taking big risks. We regularly paddle big lakes were the temp water and air is as cold as 4C (40F). There was no excuse for not investing $90 in wet suit anymore, especially after this past season which saw a high number of people die in Canada of hypothermia after dumping their canoe.

So we bought some MEC overall style wetsuits. They are 3mm and cost about 90$ CAD. Sure a drysuit is all around more safe and comfortable, but unless you plan on being soaked all day long in WW or being in the water for a long time after a dump in very cold water, is a 800+ dollar drysuit needed or will a 90 dollar wetsuit (that your are probably more likely to buy sooner than a drysuit you'll spend a bunch of time shopping around for) do the job?

Thanks for all the information and opinions. I'm leaning toward a wetsuit. Bill Mason (Path of the Paddle) - a hardy soul for sure - advises at least a wetsuit top, which is where I started. He advises that a wetsuit top conserves the most and most important body warmth. A drysuit, something that probably didn't exist in Mason's heyday, would be great but they are expensive. I just checked the MEC site, per APPaul's suggestion, and is looks like they don't have a full length neoprene suit anymore. $90 is a great price, whatever the exchange rate. I will be looking at full suits as well as jackets. I generally get gear from either NRS or Austin Kayak. Any other recommendations?

I used to use a wetsuit even in winter day paddling and survived some swims. I only bought a drysuit when I started to cold weather canoe camp. Stripping to get dressed after getting to camp and when leaving was terrible. I have a friend who doesn't wear either on cold water,but brings a big thermos of hot tea ect. he's never actually tried it,but he plans to chug the hot drink if he gets wet!
Turtle

So Turtle, the dry suit is what you wear day and night? Or is it that the suit is easy to get off and on?

I take the dry suit of when arriving at camp and put it on when leaving.You wear clothes under a dry suit so taking it off in cold weather is not so bad. When wearing a wet suit you go practically naked underneath,which isn't too bad if you put it on at home and take it off at home. Wet suits do feel a little icky,but will save your life. Some people get overheated in wet suits when paddling hard and have to dump just to cool off. I always paddle at a turtles pace and don't have that problem.
Turtle

Ok. Time for me to add my 2 cents. I spent 25 years in the US Coast Guard and most was spent on the water so I have a bit of first hand experience with this topic. Cold water kills! A buddy of mine who is a rescue swimmer (he jumps out of helicopters for a living) participated in a study called "Cold Water Boot Camp which was filmed.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=C7F8E9F413E72DAF8637C7F8E9F413E72DAF8637
You hear stories of people who have survived cold water immersions though the probability you won't survive is high. From a medical perspective 70 degree F water temp is "cold water". The maximum physical response happens in 55 degree F water. Colder water hurts more but is not any more dangerous. If you paddle in cold water you owe it to yourself to watch the video.
By the way, the old combined air-water temp rules have been proven WRONG. It is the water temp alone that dictates the danger. 45 degree water is just as dangerous when the air is 70 degrees as when the air is 40 degrees.
Happy New Year to all,
Dave

Thanks Dave. Great video. The clear lesson is to wear a PFD and stay out of cold water. Once you're in it, however, the more cold protection the better.

Of the 3 ideas (change of clothes, wet suit, dry suit, ) I have these thoughts.
1. Change of clothes. This works surprisingly well, if you can get out of the water, and your dry bag is leak free.
2. Wet suit. Did this in a week long trip on the Buffalo in March of 2000. Was comfortable, but stinky. Did not swim. Must remember that neoprene that is damp or wet can and will freeze. Wear a windproof layer over the neo.
3. Drysuit. Worth every penny. I should have bought one 20 years ago. I wear a Kokatat GMER, with an IR fleece union suit. I had the suit custom made, it fits well. I can still get cold, but warm up quick. Be aware you will be replacing the gaskets every 3-4 years ($150) This opened up my season, and doubled my paddling days.

I also strongly recommend wearing a wet or dry suit in cold water. I helped guide a scout troop on and early cold water canoe trip in the ADKs once. Their plan was to stay close to shore and in case of capsize,some stay and help the swimmers,others to race to shore and start a fire. I watched them practice this,and it was impressive. I think it would have worked,but it's not a practical answer for us. I also agree with the water temp being the overriding factor. If you can't wear a suit, at least wear wool which is much better than nothing.
Turtle

Dave,
The video was quite an eye-opener. Last year, I experienced the sudden shock of "cool" water immersion while taking a whitewater canoeing class, and I still remember the overpowering need to breath in. one thing that I found really interesting was how quickly the swimmers in the video became immobile. Some of the participants looked to be in great physical shape, but it didn't really help that much.

I think the lesson here is to be prepared, dress appropriately, and most importantly, wear the PFD! Thanks for sharing.

Erik

Interesting that Professor Popsicle, the dude leading the cold water boot camp is from Manitoba.

Most of our lakes and rivers have tea or coffee coloured water so it warms fairly well, but we still find 60 degree moving water in the dead of Summer and it gets hot here.

I take the dry suit of when arriving at camp and put it on when leaving.You wear clothes under a dry suit so taking it off in cold weather is not so bad. When wearing a wet suit you go practically naked underneath,which isn't too bad if you put it on at home and take it off at home.

Turtle has a good point. Although I advocate a wet suit, my one beef is that once they are on, taking them off and getting them back on can be a hassle. If its a cold water/mild temp day its not a big deal, but if its a cold water/cold temp day (especially below freezing air temp), getting the wet suit on and off kinda sucks if it is a multi day trip.

I think the lesson here is to be prepared, dress appropriately, and most importantly, wear the PFD! Thanks for sharing.
Erik

The key point that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet is - why take the risk? If the conditions are hostile, shouldn't the safety net between one's ears be enough to say "no"?

Back