• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous

Dave Curtis ( and his wife) have been staunch supporters since the first Rendezvous.. They have been joined by Savage RIver, Colden Canoe, Swift Canoe and Adirondack and Slipstream Canoes and Placid Boatworks .

So there is a variety of solos to try and participants almost always bring something they already have. Often its an oldie goody like a Blackhawk or an early Curtis model or a Sawyer.
It would be cool to see Northstar there as they build up their operation.. Wenonah came once as one of their roadie friends brought a bunch but its a far trip

I have been a regular at this event. I always come away with a new batch of friends and a desire to return. Have you ever wondered about paddling by yourself? What's the difference between a dedicated solo and simply being alone in any canoe? I have no interest in dancing with my boat, what's with these freestyle folks? Dead-fish Polo?... never heard of it. You can find answers to these questions and many others by hanging with the canoe-minded folks who show up at this event. I will be arriving early Friday morning.

Last edited:
Hmmm. These FreeStyle folks are lazy. They get the boat going then place the paddle so that the boat moves in a certain direction with no more work

Draws pries and sweeps are not needed when you let the paddle and boat do the work

same as a horse. Of course if you give conflicting commands the boat may throw you out

there will be free coaches there. And the lake is padded and warm. Lots of us cannot dance

Marc, et al, I am planning to head to Butler for the 2019 version but I am hoping for some information in the meantime: Is there any place in Western PA that offers canoeing instruction / practice time? I did a lot of canoeing as a kid and even taught it for a few years at a summer camp but my skills are certainly rusty and, reading many of the posts here, I begin to wonder how much I actually knew (I was an expert in most things when I was 16 but just didn't realize how full of crap I really was).

I know there is a kayak club in PGH but (I think) they're mostly whitewater guys (been there, done that, no need to go back) and I am looking for more specifically geared towards canoe tripping as I prep for a trip to the BWCA next Fall. My gut tells me I'll be fine going "as is" but I've always believed that one can never acquire too many skills or hone them too sharply. Besides, I've got all winter to prep/dream/plan/obsess...

I would check in with Blue Mountain Outfitters, they may have some classes in the Spring or check in on the ACA website......It's early for Spring classes to be posted, but I'm sure after the first of the year, you will start seeing some classes posted....I will try to attach some links. It sounds like an ACA Level I flatwater course is what you are looking for.

Mike

Back