• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Weekend paddle

Reaction score
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg With Odyssey's permission I thought I'd post a few pics from last Sunday when I went approximately 4 miles or so up the Paw Paw river, and back. It's winter here again in SW Michigan but we had almost a week of great weather including lots of very rare sunshine. Sunday the high temp was only 41/42 but the sun felt just great. The Paw Paw is running at almost twice it's normal volume but it's a small river so the current is just persistent but not overwhelming. From my put-in near the Senior PGA golf course one has to paddle almost 2 miles upstream to get to the best part of the river. It's secluded and full of fallen trees so one just meanders upstream looking for the way through which is not always obvious (see pics); there are many spots where there is only one small area to squeeze through. I really enjoy that type of paddling, just meandering around the next bend and dodging downfall with one's agile solo canoe. Of course once I was way upstream the clouds came in and it felt like the first week of January. On the way back one cannot remember the best line through all of the downfall so with the current pushing you along you have to make a bunch of decisions again while staying calm and smooth.
image.jpeg

this looks just like our Connowango creek before the green comes.One of my favorite paddle places.

this looks just like our Connowango creek before the green comes.One of my favorite paddle places.

I thought Paw Paw was a cool name but Connewango is way better. Your recommendation made me pull out a map and look it up to see how far it is for me.

Back