• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

WCHA Assembly July 17-22, 2018, Peterborough, Ontario

Reaction score
The Wooden Canoe Heritage Association will hold it's annual assembly at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario July 17-22nd, 2018,

The theme will be Chestnut Canoe Company and Bill Mason. I plan on being there and look forward to seeing some old friends.

Thank you, Robin for the plug!! The Assembly is really a jewel of an event. It has been called, "summer camp for adults" and kids! I urge trippers, day trippers, outdoorsy folks, canoe nuts, wooden canoe nuts, and wannabee wooden canoe nuts and your families to take a break and head on up. There are all kinds of events and workshops to attend and the Canadian Canoe Museum is only a few miles away. I hope to see you there!!

There will be more information here including preliminary programs, lodging and meal information as soon as it becomes available. 2017 information is there now, but that will give you a taste of things to come. There is also a nice video of the 2016 Assembly at Paul Smiths College, NY there.

http://www.wcha.org/annual-assembly

Fitz

Last edited:
I have intentions on going also. If possible I would like to get up there a few days earlier to go canoe tripping in Canada. As it gets closer I'm hoping more information will be available about places to go near there. Happy holidays to all.

Wow!

Just saw the detailed itinerary that is posted on WCHA website.

Becky Mason, Kevin Callan, Ken Buck, Roy MacGregor, Dick Persson on history of Chestnuts,nd Mike Elliott on restoring Chestnut canoes! Oh yeah and tours of the Canadian Canoe Museum "vaults". Sounds like a great way to spend a week...
Will definitely be there and hope to bring the Bobs and Prospector!

Bruce

When choosing accommodations Ottonabee College is like an underground prison.. Do NOT leave by the back door in your room to seek outside peace.. You will get locked out.. Its a rabbit warren down there.. I vowed never to go to prison again

They call all the residence halls colleges. .
TThe last time the Assembly was there Gzowski was the big yellow building.. AKA Swiss. With the window holes it was uncannily like cheese

The accomodataions arent yet listed. Gzowski had the wine party etc and many workshops and the cafeteria where I first envied Swedish canoeing pants with patches in all the right places..And people stayed in Gzowski. I went budget..what a mistake.
Lots of concrete. This campus was designed to mimic Oxford. Badly.

Yes a river runs through it and Kevin Callan led a flower walk I went on. There is always good with bad.

I could be tempted to go if other Canoetrippers went.

Back