• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Was this divine intervention?

Reaction score
I received an email from an auction house. There was an Epic GP kayak up for auction. I'm not in the market for a kayak but it looked to be brand new, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It looked to be made of the carbon innegra (sp) that swift uses. It came with a carbon seat(still had the sticker on it), paddle, thule rack, 2 covers and some other goodies. With about 10 minutes left I got into a bidding war with someone. His bid reached $900 and I was all set to click on the bid button for $925 (or higher) when the skies opened up at my house, pouring rain and high winds. My internet access is by dish, and out went my access just as the auction was closing. I'm thinking I'm not meant to be a kayaker, too.

Material does not make the boat. There are crappy innegra craft and fantastic ones. Just as a Kevlar canoe can be tough or crap

The layup schedule and resin use and skill of the maker matters more

I was once saved from buying a Epic GPX as well. For those that don't know it's Epic's short "rec" model kayak but is still nicer (lighter and narrower) than most other similar models.

Anyway, I was at the spring boat auction at Midwest Mountaineering and wasn't paying much attention. I didn't have a real good view of the auction ring but I could see the bow of the Epic they'd brought up and suddenly realized the thing was going absolutely dirt cheap. Well, dirt cheap for what I thought it was anyway. I'd seen a couple Epic 18x kayaks in the lineup and assumed that's what was being sold.

So I started bidding thinking that-

A: No way is this boat going to meet the reserve price
B: Even if I do get the boat I can turn around and make a bunch of money reselling it

I had the bid at $1200 and the other guy bidding was thinking real hard about what he wanted to do. At this point I was hoping he would bid again and I'd let him have it. And that's what happened. He bid $1250 and got the boat. I almost fainted when they carried the boat out of the ring and I could finally see more than just the front 2' of it and realized it was a GPX rather than an 18x. Felt pretty bad about bidding the guy up for no good reason.

Alan

I was once saved from buying a Epic GPX as well. For those that don't know it's Epic's short "rec" model kayak but is still nicer (lighter and narrower) than most other similar models.

Anyway, I was at the spring boat auction at Midwest Mountaineering and wasn't paying much attention. I didn't have a real good view of the auction ring but I could see the bow of the Epic they'd brought up and suddenly realized the thing was going absolutely dirt cheap. Well, dirt cheap for what I thought it was anyway. I'd seen a couple Epic 18x kayaks in the lineup and assumed that's what was being sold.

So I started bidding thinking that-

A: No way is this boat going to meet the reserve price
B: Even if I do get the boat I can turn around and make a bunch of money reselling it

I had the bid at $1200 and the other guy bidding was thinking real hard about what he wanted to do. At this point I was hoping he would bid again and I'd let him have it. And that's what happened. He bid $1250 and got the boat. I almost fainted when they carried the boat out of the ring and I could finally see more than just the front 2' of it and realized it was a GPX rather than an 18x. Felt pretty bad about bidding the guy up for no good reason.

Alan

:eek:

Back