• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Warbonnet Ridgerunner

Reaction score
Any Canadians purchase a WBRR? If so, which retailer did you use? Im looking to purchase this hammock but cant seem to locate a Canadian dealer who carries this brand. I would even entertain a used one. If you know of one for sale, please let me know.

Also, for you seasoned hammock hangers, which insulated mattress would you choose to slip into the WBRR - the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Max, or the Exped Downmat Lite Pad Long and Wide? Im not paying $400 for a 3 season under quilt, I have to draw the line somewhere.

Have you contacted Warbonnet to see if they have a Dealer in Canada?

I use a foam pad, the nylon covered pads slide around too much in my Blackbird

Or you can try this

diy-no-sew-poncho-uq.jpg

Attachments

• diy-no-sew-poncho-uq.jpg
    diy-no-sew-poncho-uq.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
No i haven't contacted them but i most certainly will Monday morning. And hey that's a great idea for a three quarter UQ. However, the Ridgerunner has a double layer on bottom to slide in a pad or whatever else you like. I would only consider an UQ if i thought i would use it during very cold months. My use would be shoulder seasons only - primarily the months of May and September.

I bought a 4' x 8' foam sheet and cut myself an odd size wide oval/egg shaped pad that works great. It's 5/8" thick and have used it in temps well below 0 F. Being extra wide in the middle makes it so I never slip off.

I wasn't aware that Warbonnet had any dealers. Most cottage makers just deal direct.

Try Gerrit at hogshop.ca in Manitoba for custom hammock gear including quilts. He makes a nice full length down underquilt at a good price.

I have slept in a Clark hammock for years, and never could get an interior pad the work and be comfortable. The compound curves by your butt cause wrinkles and folds that drove me nuts. I ended up buying their under quilt which is comfortable, but not perfect insulation. An ensolite pad molded in a bucket seat shape might be the answer.

I bought the Black Bird from them directly. It was worth it. I use a foam pad and a piece of refelctix or whatever its called. Got a huge sheet of it from the florist who gets are her bulk flowers delivered wrapped in it during the winter.

Why are you chasing the bridge hammock rather than the asymmetrical one?

I'm very happy with my Warbonnet hammock but did you know there is a Canadian manufacturer of hammocks? I didn't when I bought mine but I do now. Little Shop of Hammocks. Guy is real nice and when I finally do buy an UQ I'll go here for sure

I have a downmat that I have used a lot in the last 6-7 years(get the Schnozzle bag inflator)... by far one of my best purchases. I have the Exped Ergo hammock, a tentsile tent and a regular tent, it can be used in all of them.
You may want to take a stroll over to hammock forums and do a few searches, the only issue I found with pads in hammocks is they only cover your back side and if you put anything on the side it gets cold fast. I can confirm this is true. This isn't much of an issue in warmer weather, but as the ambient temperature drops, it becomes more of an issue.

The forums address: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

Brian

You can also check the for sale items on the www.hammockforums.net but be quick to say "I'll Take It" if you are serious because the RRs go quickly. Most sellers accept PAYPAL for payment.
RRs come in single layer and double layer so double check if you are looking at used. If you do buy used, they also had a run of substandard buckles which could wear the webbing at the spreader bars. The in spec. ones are rounded where the webbing turns 180 degrees, this is easily verified. I believe I bought mine off EBAY and am very happy with it.
There are also several manufactures who make less expensive UQs as well, Loco-Libre, Arrowhead Outdoors are two of them. Also, I have a 3/4 length Arrowhead Synthetic which I may part with if you are interested when the time comes. I have a 3/4 and a full, I don't think I need both.
I have used an Exped 7 which works but also raises the center of gravity a bit, but you don't need to fully inflate it either.

Thanks or all the replies and tips, excellent intel! I signed up for the Hammock forums but there is a vetting period and im still waiting. I may have to look at getting a gathered hammock instead of a bridge style. I wanted the bridge style for the flat lay. Yes im aware that the gathered style is flat, but not like the bridge style. I'll keep you posted as i think i may have found something suitable for my needs.

As an aside, I have a couple of sewing projects lined up. I just received my order for the materials for a gathered end hammock ... my plan to is to build build both a gathered end and a bridge to expand my experience and to see which one I like better.

Sewing isn't for everyone, but after making my own tarp, I realized it really isn't difficult, and opens a whole knew area of possibilities for camping gear.

However, although a pad can be used with a gathered end, there is enough negative experiences that make a lot of sense ... it would be wise to read some of those over before you try that path. Also, take a look at the Costco Down Throw conversions for underquilts ... that may provide a cost effective solution for a warm weather underquilt.

Brian

I found this on MEC gear swap.... https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/post/612457
might be of interest!

Well, after careful consideration I ended up buying this one - Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. Thanks Canotrouge! I'll use an insulated ground pad in between the two layers for now, and then perhaps invest in an affordable UQ (to me) like the one described above from Costco if needed. Thanks again for all your help and all the suggestions.

They come up cheaply on Massdrop from time to time along with special edition Enlightened Equipment quilts

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/snugpak-hammock-under-blanket

This is the Hogshop synthetic quilt

https://hofmanoutdoorgearsupply.ca/quilts/123-s-more-synthetic-underquilt.html

Gerrit makes nice stuff and the custom embroidery is a nice touch.

That MassDrop is not very friendly to those of us north of the border. I can buy that Snugpack Underblanket for $53CAD shipped free from Amazon, compared to Massdrop $48USD shipped which equals $59.17CAD. But that $59.17USD price does NOT include the brokerage and custom fees at the border which can easily put the price over $70CAD.

However, i do like the pricing on that Hofman UQ. :)

I wasn't aware that Warbonnet had any dealers. Most cottage makers just deal direct.

Try Gerrit at hogshop.ca in Manitoba for custom hammock gear including quilts. He makes a nice full length down underquilt at a good price.

Just wanted follow up to say that thank you for the advice and link to Hogshop.ca. I spoke with Gerrit, who was very helpful, and ordered an goosedown UQ and a Sil Tarp - an absolute terrific guy to chat with. Thanks again!

Good to hear. I was chatting with him at the weekend. We were discussing the option of a high end bridge hammock, lightweight fabric, single layer for using an underquilt, dyneema webbing and carbon spreader bars. I'm hoping the price he comes back with won't be too painful!

Just wanted follow up to say that thank you for the advice and link to Hogshop.ca. I spoke with Gerrit, who was very helpful, and ordered an goosedown UQ and a Sil Tarp - an absolute terrific guy to chat with. Thanks again!

Thanks DayTripper99 / it was awesome chatting with you too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back