• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Tippy Pond

Reaction score
Manistee River, Tippy Pond backwaters
4-10-12-15
Solo Trip

Not really a tripping report as much as a location report. This trip was to be a first camping trip for a couple of my co-workers. Unfortunately for them they had to cancel, turning this trip into a solo weekend. Since they both backed out kind of last minute and I already had my truck loaded; it would be “luxury” camping (Well as luxury as I get with a bigger tent and carpeting). I arrived at Government Landing Car Camp site early Friday evening. The drive up was extremely windy, turning to lite rain upon arrival. I set up my tent and made dinner. I debated about a fire for the evening and decided to head to the tent.

The best part of this time of year is no bugs. So with a good book, beer and view it was time to relax.

Went to bed early and woke up around 0800. It was a cold night and everything was frosted pretty well.

Temp was 28*, clear and calm.

After making breakfast I loaded the canoe and pushed off to explore the north end of the lake. Looking back at my camp.

The lake was perfectly still.

I paddled up the lake almost to the river delta and turned around at the furthest north island.

Since I paddled the east shore out, I kept to the west shore on the way back. Back at camp I made myself some lunch. Over the winter I picked up a couple axes that I wanted to try out. I found a nice downed tree that wasn’t completely on the ground not to far from camp.

I chopped a few logs and than preceded to spilt the logs.

After lunch it was time to go out again. By now the calmness ended and my good friend, wind, showed up. No big deal for now.

I paddled south towards the dam this time.

Just as I round the last point where the lake turns west, the wind became more intense. With big rolling waves, I let it turn me back towards camp.

Back at camp I made dinner and lit the fire.

I promise the fire was not as big as this picture leads one to believe.

I had an obligation to attend to at home and was up pretty early the next day. Temp was 34*, clear and calm.

I packed up everything quickly and was on the road by 9:00am. It was a good relaxing trip after waiting for winter to end and before the busy work season starts.

Back