• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

time marches on

Reaction score
The boat below is the beloved Huron, a 15 foot Bastien Bros that I got from another CT member in London ON. I used it as a solo for a few years after restoring it . On thursday it will be leaving here and a kayak with some cash will be exchanged in the bargain. I am already having sellers remorse from the deal but expect my new kayak to help me get over it. At least it is going to some good people.

I was able to deal with the heart problems from 5 years ago but the stroke I had last month left no doubt that my days of solo paddling are well behind me. I do have a nice Langford I am working on so I can still paddle, and my stripper, which will be tandem. Day trips and easy overnights appear to be my future. More boats need to leave soon too and that will be very hard to swallow I am sure. Once I rearrange things to shorten my projects list I will see what works but day trips looks to be the thing.

Adapt persevere oversleep...........my new motto

Christine

Attachments

• photo12081.jpg
    photo12081.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 0
Nice looking boat!! hope you recover and get stronger with time!! Important thing is that your are not giving up paddling and that you are not giving up getting outside and being active. My mom now 79 had 2 knee replacement in the last 2 years and a 3-4 stint put in the big arteries of her hart this winter, following all the directive, she's back paddling and biking(40km a day)!! Good luck, keep it going and be positive!!

Going to good people.........that's always important to me. I think you'd agree that it helps emotionally.

Good to see you're giving it what you can. It's all we can do as we age, eh? Best of luck to you!

Keep on truckin, but you could get rid of the yak and put a square stern on a trailer with a good little motor. I don't have much desire to even use the single stick these days, but I get pretty excited every time I throw the suzuki in the back of the truck! Headed out on Thursday for five days of freighter canoe trippin, yeehaa!

Sorry to hear about your new physical challenges. I think you will find new types of adventures and new ways to explore yourself and your environment. My wife does t'ai chi. I started swimming regularly and swam 2.7 km today which I like to think is pretty good for a retired guy. If you find yourself in need of a solo canoe in the future I could lend you one (even a Canadian one)...I'm about 3 hours west of London.

You got this Christy! You have had your share of challenges but you always persevere.. Life is full of new normals. I have another new normal coming up. Fortunately I can still paddle but with another artificlal joint coming in a couple of weeks solo trips are probably never going to happen again.

Paddling is paddling. With help from friends I got in a canoe yesterday and paddled my home lake( I am currently wheelchair bound but that will change in a couple of weeks).Loons beaver and an eagle family were the reward.

Thanks for the support. Mem...I do have a freighter, with a motor, and it is going on the trailer as soon as I can dump the tin boat off of it. I already have plans, I just have to recruit an accomplice.

Iskweo, I do believe we're never too old for fun, and it's almost inevitable that our definition of fun might change along with us as we mature gracelessly. And even tho' we followed all the moves on the dance floor of life, The Twist, The Bus Stop, and a little Northern Soul, there's no reason we can't just say screw it and dance like nobody's watching. Go ahead and shout screw it and paddle wherever however. Like nobody's watching, keep on finding that fun. Take no prisoners. No regrets.

Day trips and easy overnights appear to be my future. More boats need to leave soon too and that will be very hard to swallow I am sure.

Christine, no offense to our younger brethren here, but the tripper community has been aging out for a decade or more. That baby boomer tripper crowd may have been rode hard and put up wet for long enough, and have the scars and disabilities to prove it.

I can still paddle, just not as durably as I once could. I can still get the canoe from the racks to the truck to the water’s edge. But dealing with even short portages, strainer bypasses and getting in and out of the canoe at awkward landings has become the post-Lyme arthritic bane of my paddling days.

Adapt persevere oversleep...........my new motto

I’m all in one the first two verbs, but can’t manage to accommodate the last. Six years post-retirement I still get up between 5am and 5:30. Or, if I didn’t stay up late reading in bed (“Lord, it’s 9:30 already!). . . . . ehhh, wellll, it’s 4am, might as well get up and get started.

I’ve done more by 9am (or 8:30 when the missus gets up) than most people do all day. Maybe if I had support staff to air-drop me and the canoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-9dQ84LBg

Nothing wrong with a motored boat, especially if paired with a trailer to ease put in and take out and motor-left-in-place preparations. I see aging tripper friends spending more water time fishing, and that has begun to appeal to me after 20 years with touching a rod and reel.

Seriously, whatever it takes to stay out on the water in some fashion. Day trips, easy overnighters, fishing, floating around with a camera ISO some interesting perspective. Simply being out on the water in any fashion keeps the flame alive.

May I suggest kayaking?

Now running weaving and bobbing.. At least I know I can get on water at a Maine Boat launch and if I have help get off and camp on an offshore island..
There is paddling without portaging..

Christine, no offense to our younger brethren here, but the tripper community has been aging out for a decade or more. That baby boomer tripper crowd may have been rode hard and put up wet for long enough, and have the scars and disabilities to prove it.

I can still paddle, just not as durably as I once could. I can still get the canoe from the racks to the truck to the water’s edge. But dealing with even short portages, strainer bypasses and getting in and out of the canoe at awkward landings has become the post-Lyme arthritic bane of my paddling days.

I’m all in one the first two verbs, but can’t manage to accommodate the last. Six years post-retirement I still get up between 5am and 5:30. Or, if I didn’t stay up late reading in bed (“Lord, it’s 9:30 already!). . . . . ehhh, wellll, it’s 4am, might as well get up and get started.

I’ve done more by 9am (or 8:30 when the missus gets up) than most people do all day. Maybe if I had support staff to air-drop me and the canoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-9dQ84LBg

Nothing wrong with a motored boat, especially if paired with a trailer to ease put in and take out and motor-left-in-place preparations. I see aging tripper friends spending more water time fishing, and that has begun to appeal to me after 20 years with touching a rod and reel.

Seriously, whatever it takes to stay out on the water in some fashion. Day trips, easy overnighters, fishing, floating around with a camera ISO some interesting perspective. Simply being out on the water in any fashion keeps the flame alive.

Mike,

How do you do multiple quotes in the same posting? I am able to do only one at a time.

TIme almost stopped for a canoeing pal of mine.. He had a double valve replacement three days ago and as of last night looked like he would pass... Lets be grateful for what we have..
And canoeists are tough.. He is MUCH better today.. they are calling it a miracle.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues. If you ever want to borrow a Bastien Bros. Huron I have one sitting in the garage that's not being paddled right now.

Have you considered a sailing canoe? Provided you don't get carried away with too big a sail it could be a fun way to get around. We used to sail with the open canoe sailing group in the UK, I think the average age of their membership was somewhere north of 60.

How do you do multiple quotes in the same posting? I am able to do only one at a time.

PP, I rarely write anything directly on the board, my keyboarding skills are subpar, and I often write bits and pieces of a reply at a time while doing other things.

I cut a quote and paste it in Word, sometimes separating a quote into pieces for more distinct responses, or pasting quotes from different messages if relevant instead of posting multiple replies.

I wish you ladies the best possible results with your medical issues. As far as time marching on goes, I may not be able to do what I once did but as I got older it took less to make me happy.

taint that the truth.. Breathing is not taken for granted and noticing is an emerging elder hobby!

Back