Time for Maine, looking for ideas

Having a few arrowheads find their mark over the years I have been steadily building up my tire repair kit.
I found the scissor jack and the reflectors in the dump. I'm going to make a larger base to set the jack on and hidden behind the jack is a Chock Block.
We're headed up Telos Road on Saturday

P1270371.JPG

Just got back from the Allagash Lake area. Drove several miles on the Freshly Graded (first tracks) Caucomgomoc Road. Made it OK, but definitely didn't find it enjoyable. FYI, Allagash Lake via Upper Allagash Stream is a no-go (at least with a WC canoe)until we get some relief from the drought.

Just got back from the Allagash Lake area. Drove several miles on the Freshly Graded (first tracks) Caucomgomoc Road. Made it OK, but definitely didn't find it enjoyable. FYI, Allagash Lake via Upper Allagash Stream is a no-go (at least with a WC canoe)until we get some relief from the drought.

Did you try Allagash Stream??? I would have hoped the folks at the Telos gate would have set you straight and told you to take the carry trail in this drought.

Freshly graded. sand pit. in mud season full of sharp stones
Gate people dont usually pry and need to be asked,;often they don't know as most are not paddlers

Gate people dont usually pry and need to be asked,;often they don't know as most are not paddlers

Last September they had a sign at Telos gate saying that the only access to Allagash Lake was via the carry trail because of low water. I assume the info came from the rangers but the folks at the gate, when they heard we were going to Allagash Lake, made sure we read it.

Did you try Allagash Stream??? I would have hoped the folks at the Telos gate would have set you straight and told you to take the carry trail in this drought.

I had checked earlier with NMW and they were not optimistic, but I have done that run quite a few times...a couple when I waded a lot up to and including once when the stream was level with the bank at the put in. It actually looked pretty good at the put in and the day before had been a gully washer of rain. I usually come in on the Sias Hill Rd so had no contact with the Telos gate.

Lobster Lake. Put in at the parking lot where Lobster Stream joins the W Branch of the Penobscot. Three to eight mile paddle to a campsite on Lobster Lake. Camp two nights. Lobster is a big varied lake with hiking to Lobster Mt. the Lake is about 5x 8 miles Moose sometimes walk the many beaches on that lake. It is shallow so it can get rough. The scenery is outstanding.
Day three go back past the Parking lot and join the West Branch of the Penobscot. Over the next two days float the 27 miles to Chesuncook Village. There are ALWAYS moose around.

If you want to extend the trip you will be meeting my favorite Bitch lake.. Chesuncook. Outstanding scenery of Katahdin but 17 miles to the State take out or Allagash Gateway Campground. The Campground will shuttle your vehicle.. drop you off at Lobster and leave it either at the Campground or Graveyard Point in Chesumcook Village.

Ask alsg about the one caveat re the West Branch of the Penobscot in low water. Thoreaus Rapid. It only surfaces in times of low water.. This year may be one of those years.
I'm making plans for next year. I don't see a trail up Lobster Mt. on the topo I have. Is it established and clearly marked. I'm curious about distance and gradient.

Thanks.