• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

The Rustoleum Raven Rides Again!

Reaction score
I was redoing a couple of canoes for sale last week, the Chestnut Chum stripper being one. So I needed to get another solo. I pulled my old cedar strip Raven out of my son’s garage and had a look. It was still heavy, and banged up pretty bad, but doable. The Raven is a very seaworthy canoe, and has many hard tripping miles on it. Here’s a pic what it looked like ten years ago, with only a rustoleum interior.

sqYqEEL.jpg

And here it is now, in all it’s glorious rust free red. No more worrying about UV rays, and the red canoe goes faster too.

iooh0Og.jpg

So I went down to launch it on its inaugural voyage, and look who I ran into - a bunch of Outers! They had already been out for a night. I had been planning to meet them well down the lake, but they were traveling fast.

GKNGZMm.jpg

I took off ahead of them and did some sightseeing.

dfa4XDp.jpg

When we got to the port, the Raven proved it still had it, as I decided to run the rapids. It really is a good all round canoe for the type of tripping I do - heavy loads, rapids, flats…..just a dog to carry.

I camped well away from the kids, as this is the first year I could do so. It was heavenly to have my own spot, free from worry and responsibility.
Etg3PHy.jpg

I dropped a line and was instantly rewarded with a six pound walleye. It was a surprised as I was, and I gently put him back. I cast out again and caught his three pound brother, and instantly ate him.

tCCqUui.jpg

I could have pulled fish out of the water all night, but elected to wait till the next morning to take a limit back with me for my mother in law.

I visited the kids for a bit then retreated back to my tent to watch some Nature TV.

h0HqFJL.jpg

It proved to be a very cold night, I should have brought my Fatboy 300 winter bag. I finally caved in at 5:00 AM and went out and made a fire and started the coffee.

yAeq8uA.jpg

After a while, I caught my limit, said goodbye to the Outers and paddled and ported back to the truck. In the end, no heart attack, only stiff muscles that reminded me of a great first post-cardiac trip, lol.

Last edited:
Mem - Great trip report. Glad everything went well for you. Must be nice to be able to visit former students yet not be responsible for them. I hope to discover the same thing this coming January after 40 years here at the college.

BTW...how many brownie points did you earn with your mother-in-law for bring her all those fish?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Excellent report, nice to see the kids in canoes, fish in the pan and a great view of the lake from your front porch.

What's up with that couch in the woods in picture 2?

Good catch Robin, lol. There is a group of regulars who camp there every year. About three years ago the couch appeared, and has remained. I suppose at some point it will disappear again too.

I like it. Which Rustoleum red is that?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...KHUWCAGIQ9QEwAnoECAUQCA#imgrc=YreyH5u5YXArYM:

Rustoleum spray cans have different names/shades than the quart or pint brush-on cans. I have, to my surprise, spray cans of “Sunrise Red” and “Regal Red” spray, which look mighty close to me (one is a teeny bit darker held side by side). It took me years to find where the paint color is listed on a spray can of Rustoleum; nowadays on the back, atop the bar code label.

Well dang, those fairly recent spray paint names have changed, now it’s “Carnation” and “Raspberry”.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...KHUWCAGIQ9QEwAnoECAUQCA#imgrc=YreyH5u5YXArYM:

It’s a good thing I’m color blind, red is red is red close enough. Touch ups are usually quickie spray painted on the bottom anyway.

More often than not I have simply roll on/tip out a couple or three coats from a quart of Rustoleum enamel. The epoxy paints are probably a little tougher in minor sand scratch, and maybe have a little better shine, but it’s still just a layer or three of sacrificial paint if you hit a sharp rock. Maybe not worth $30 a quart for a working boat.

Well, it's called Tremclad, the Canadian version of rustoleum. The colour is Fire Engine Red, the best red out there. Think it is 18 bucks a litre, so pretty economical.

Is the new Chief of the Outers going to post their trip reports here as you did? I enjoyed them a great deal, loved seeing young people having fun in the Boreal Forest.

There are three of them, so I'm hoping one of them will come up with a trip report. I'll certainly post it, or at least a link to it!

Back