• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

The BWCA Expo

Check out Dan's Rucksack if you go. I got one a month ago, I'm pleased and impressed with it. I have used it as a carry-on while flying and holds everythIng I needed for some overnight fishing trips, even held a strapped on three piece fly rod on the side.
At the tender age of 73, I am going to backpack around Europe (Scandinavia) this fall. Instead of my trusty Duluth pack that I've use for travel for the past fifty years I'm taking the new CCS Rucksack.
No financial interest, just a pleased customer.
.......Birchy

Check out Dan's Rucksack if you go. I got one a month ago, I'm pleased and impressed with it. I have used it as a carry-on while flying and holds everythIng I needed for some overnight fishing trips, even held a strapped on three piece fly rod on the side.
At the tender age of 73, I am going to backpack around Europe (Scandinavia) this fall. Instead of my trusty Duluth pack that I've use for travel for the past fifty years I'm taking the new CCS Rucksack.
No financial interest, just a pleased customer.
.......Birchy

I really like mine too. It's been my travel bag on trips and also carries a 30L barrel when tripping.

It's a neat event. Looking forward to pics of dead fish polo. Have fun everyone!

Alan

Had a good weekend at the Boundary Waters Expo. I’ve never been to one of these gatherings, so had no idea what to expect. The gathering is held at Bearskin Lodge, a beautiful spot owned and operated by Quinn McCloughan, a canoetripping.net regular.

Its only about five hour drive from Geraldton to the lodge. Got processed through the Border painlessly and were on our way Friday afternoon. When we arrived at the lodge, I was absolutely stunned by the accommodations. There are several cabins, although cabin is hardly the proper descriptor. Our cabin, which was about the size of our actual house, had its own private dock and hot tub.

qrKAXDN.jpg

EmSghzG.jpg

The cabin was very new and extremely well thought out.

00tUluG.jpg

Beautiful screened in porch, bigger than many houses.

jZt2LAG.jpg

Main room with natural stone chimney.

jMsgbKM.jpg

Fully equipped kitchen.

After getting to know the place, we headed off to the dock to soak up some sun and relax. We had an entire bay to ourselves.

WLfFGsd.jpg

It was difficult to move from the big chairs, so we just sat and soaked up the relaxation.

2fxS50p.jpg

PYyAGXA.jpg

Dock selfie

mAGRioZ.jpg

The next day, everything started up. There were several presentations held. Highlights for me were Bear Paulsen and The Land of Sand and Dan Cooke with a tarpology course. Cliff Jacobson was there, and is always a treat to listen to. Didn’t get any pics of the presenters, maybe Quinn will be able to post a few. There were many vendors present as well, and we supported them well, lol. There were a couple of things I really wanted, but we had to have enough dough left for gas money to get back. Bear Paulsen had a full contingent of Northstar canoes there, would have been nice to come home with one of those!

My wife bartered a sweet deal with the Nemo rep for the cadillac of canoe tripping party chairs, the Stargazer. It is made out of extra large aluminium tubing that snaps together in less than 30 seconds.

PinFXRs.jpg

Then with the application of two pinch clips, the complete chair is ready in less than a minute.

da2IMdz.jpg

Pinch clip

You can recline and rock in this chair, and it is complete with a couple of pockets and a drink holder. Can’t wait to set them up in the party barge.

9VM2cYA.jpg

When Ostrom was producing barrel dividers, I always wanted to try them, but their price was too much. Dan Cooke gave me a great buy on a set of four, and I will be trying them out next week.

HMfLZ7D.jpg

Irene bought a few books, the latest one from Rob Kesselring about canoeing with his daughter, and Cliff’s latest offering too. My last purchase before we left was two solid mugs, made to look like the old tin mugs, but very substantial.

VE6SZ9d.jpg

All in all, a great weekend. I was supposed to go down to the bonfire Saturday night and play guitar with Quinn and the bunch. However, Bear gave me a couple of the local craft beers, very hoppy hippy stuff, and all of a sudden I was passed out by 8:30, after only four beer. I was a disappointment to all Canadians, and to myself, lol.

Thanks to Quinn for inviting me down, Bearskin Lodge is a very special place!

Last edited:
You are never a disappointment Rob, and thanks for the trip report. Beautiful lodge in a pretty setting, what's not to like.

You're going to love those barrel bags.

You have lost a lot of weight. You look like a little kid sitting in that chair.

Does it feel weird to leave southern Canada and suddenly see signs about being in the far north?

Glad you all had a good time.

Alan

Here are some photos of the expo. It was a great weekend, and the weather really cooperated. Time to start planning for next years.

bwcaexpo8.jpg

Getting this canoe on top of our sign was by far the hardest part of the expo.

bwcaexpo1.jpg

Some of the Vendors

bwcaexpo2.jpg

Boats at the beach

bwcaexpo3.jpg

Wilderness first aid presentation

bwcaexpo4.jpg

Mutually assured destruction during dead fish polo

bwcaexpo5.jpg

"Hey Cliff, whats a moose look like?"

bwcaexpo6.jpg

A very serious panel of experts

bwcaexpo7.jpg

Dan Cooke tarp demo

Looks like a fun time Mem. You are looking quite svelte, retirement is agreeing with you.

Back