• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

The beater canoe. It brings a smile to my face. Scratches are a good thing.

Reaction score
Another thread “Effect of scratches on canoe efficiency” has me thinking about my beater canoe. A Mohawk Blazer from 1979 which started its life as a rental. It was canoe #3 or so the number on its side tells me. Scratches? Well lets just say if you get a new one no one can tell. It has been damaged and repaired twice. Some one bought it from the rental place painted it to try and fool the buyer into thinking it was in better condition than it was. Then that buyer sold it to me. Blue paint is now off the lower half. Gel coat is cracked in a few places. The aluminum gunwales show signs of abuse were they were often put on a trailer and rack. Every time we take it out of the inside storage rack it is checked carefully for soft spots or other problems. Heavy? Yes very. Believe it has extra thick gel coat and other reinforcement that was rumored to be available for rentals.

Now some people would cry at just thinking about having to paddle this canoe. It just brings a HUGE smile to my face. Took it out last Saturday to Blackwater creek in Seminole state forest. Almost the perfect canoe for the trip. We pushed over eight barely submerged trees, pushed through between the bank and a uprooted root ball and did the limbo six times on the way up stream to make it pass the second bridge and almost all the way to SR46 before turning around and doing it all over again. Few have ever been that far. Great fun. Yep scratches can have a positive effect on canoe efficiency. No fear of getting any more when having fun and getting some ware difficult. Would I ever take my good canoe on this trip? No way. It also goes to the Mosquito Lagoon at the Cape Canaveral sea shore to watch the porpoises play. If the shells of clams or muscles scratch it you cant tell even though we have been good/lucky enough to miss them so far.​
If you have a fleet you need a beater. Nothing better for some trips. What do your canoes scratches say about you?​

dang all of my canoes are beater. All of them! I don'T believe in canoes that are scratch free even my racing canoe had scratches! Who cares, I'm not going to the olympics and really what ever the boat I paddle, I'm aways up front!!!

When I bought my Prospector I was told most people get a "Champagne" colored bottom, 'Because it hides the scratches better.' Champagne wouldn't hide the scratches I got from the beaver dam blow out on Head Creek a couple weeks ago.
I sold off all my beaters in my last downsizing. I've been looking to fill that stall in the barn.

Fully agree that scratches are good, except maybe the first one. I think scratches are good on cars and furniture too. My go to tandem is a Blackhawk Combi that had been used on rocky rivers in northern Wisconsin so it's perfect for every type of use...no worries!

All my canoes are scratched up but one. I don't like worrying about scratches. It kills the joy. Same goes for my canoe hauler. I can't imagine life without at least one beater boat.

I have my fave cedar strip....the Cottage Bruiser. It has suffered and been resurrected. After one particularly nasty outing you would have been forgiven for thinking it had been at Omaha Beach. Karin just keeps adding more layers to the bottom.

Of all the boats I have, which are totally for sale at the right price, this one is the only keeper. This is the first one we built together and I could never part with it.

Christy

I have questions. Where did these beaters come from? Did they start out as cast offs, or were they once upon a time your one and only, only to be replaced by newer blem-free models? Was the love you feel for these beaters a love at first sight kinda thing or did it take time; time for you to get to develop a relationship - an understanding - a history together? Is there any lingering doubt, perhaps a little guilt? Are you feeling sorry for the old hull and can't just let it go?
I'm asking these questions with only the best intentions; no snide insinuations going on here. The reason is, I feel this way about a few things in my life, but no canoe fits that description yet. Although I was in a beach town yesterday with my wife (to see a play) and was dragged into some sidewalk shopping. In a T-shirt/cotton dress/tourist kind of store I was probably the only one standing awestruck and dumbfounded gazing at the old Chestnut hanging as "decoration" from the ceiling. Beat up canvas and so-so gunnels but the ribs were perfect. I think I'll make an offer next time I "accidentally" wander in to that store. Soon. That lovely old beater needs rescuing from an intolerable second life spent as a store display. This may be love.

Mine was bought as a cheep experiment. To see if we would like to own a tandem. Untill then we only had solos. Wife loves tandem while I enjoy both tandem and solo. What was supposed to be a temporary inexpensive stop gap has ended up being something that has earned its place in our rack.

My beater is worn out time for something new I get fiberglass splinters every time I rub my hand on it.

Brad, my beater is still a nice canoe,until you roll it over and look at the bottom. We dont really have a wreck, at least not one that floats. Yet.
Chestnut eh? I dare ya. If you chicken out, I have a nice old 16 foot Langford that would " love you long time. " In progress.

Christy

Two of my beaters were bought brand new. Both tandems, and both used extensively for poling. Yeah, they still look pretty good.......above the waterline.

The other two are solos - both bought as cheap experiments, as clfcanoe says. First one was my Dagger Sojourn, which is marked as a "blem" for cosmetic reasons. I paid $250 for it just to see if I could manage a real solo canoe, and we have been getting along great. The other is a Mad River Outrage that I bought for $150, to see if I can do some whitewater solo with a paddle instead of a pole. It shows the most wear of any of my boats. The Sojourn was not "love at first sight" and neither was the Outrage. I've grown fonder of the Sojourn with every time I've paddled it, but the jury is still out on the Outrage. But you just can't pass up a $150 canoe.

The two tandems? They are like a couple of reliable old friends. Those scratches are all evidence of good times.

Our beater; is a Wenonah, Kevlar Jensen 17 . I have redone the bottom three times, and repaired three broken ribs at various times. It has won us many medals and trophies in the stock class and we'll never get rid of it even though we have a newer same model one.
Any one doing the 90 miler this year?
We'll have the newer one up there.

Jack

I have a lot of beat up canoes but there're not all beaters. To be a true "beater" you need to be ready, willing and able to subject it to avoidable abuse. Like dragging it loaded over sharp rocks or maybe sending it down a steep portage trail on it's own or if I can find the photos I'll show you how to take two canoes and make a teeter tooter for the kids to play "white water" in.

I have a lot of beat up canoes but there're not all beaters. To be a true "beater" you need to be ready, willing and able to subject it to avoidable abuse. Like dragging it loaded over sharp rocks or maybe sending it down a steep portage trail on it's own or if I can find the photos I'll show you how to take two canoes and make a teeter tooter for the kids to play "white water" in.

YOLOboat?

It's sounding like there are 2 categories in the beater canoe list - loved beater and beat it to death beater. lol

I'm with Lowangle, a beater ain't a beater until you are ready to throw it down a cliff, or load it up on a steep bank and do the old "land launch". I have an Old Town poly canoe that fits the bill, can't kill that sucker, although on the two occasions I carried it up Diablo portage, it did it's best to kill me. I have dragged it fully loaded over short portages, run boney rapids I had no business being in, and dragged it up rapids with barely a trickle of water in them, leaving spirals of read plastic curling on many rocks. I love and hate that canoe, but if I had to pick one canoe that would save my life, I guess it would be that one.

Back