• Happy Scream Day! 😱

The ADK's

Reaction score
In about a week and a half I'm heading to the ADK's for some canoeing with my 'kids'. I say kids but they are 18 and 28 and up for anything. As some may remember my daughter works for Saint Regis Canoe Outfitters so they have trips that they often recommend but I'm torn between doing a long trip and the car shuttle or a series of overnights in different areas. Starting on Thursday and finish on Sunday. I would like to paddle on Upper Saranac and do a paddle by of Eagle Island, I worked there two summers back in the early seventies. My how time flies.
Anybody have any thoughts on destinations for us? When I actually lived in Saranac Lake I rarely did more than day trip, just didn't have time or the canoe.
Also on Sunday night August 7th if anyone is in the Saranac area and would like to get together for a cold beverage or whatever let me know and I'd like to make it happen. We will not be heading south and back to work till Monday morning.
Jim

Its a little complicated. Upper Saranac has free camping. Lower and Middle are actually a DEC campground and take reservations ( at this time of the year probably required). I like Middle and Lower for the scenery and the fun of locking through on the Saranac RIver.

endless.. You can do short day trips through the St Regis Canoe Area..loop or linear. Raquette River.. Church Pond to Buck Pond ( 1 portage)

When you get to St Regis Outfitters check out the ADK Paddlers Map but dont bury yourself in it. It could cause you too many choices!

Thanks Yellowcanoe, the too many choices is why I was looking for hint to some out of the way places. We have no DEC reservations as the trip came together based on my daughters opportunity when she could get time off.
Jim

You're not going to be far from Lows Lake if you want an overnight getaway Lila and Little Tupper are not too far either. All free camping

Well, you have an emotional commitment to Upper Saranac, so you have to do that.
For me, I don't care for any of the Saranacs, too big, too busy, too easy.
You might like Long Pond, with an excursion to Pink and Ledge.
Lila is really nice too, maybe do the loop from Lila to Lows?
There's time enough to do all of those...

A couple of years ago we did a trip from Long Lake into the Raquette River then to Tupper, had a vehicle posted at Tupper so no shuttle required. But that was a nice trip.

a series of overnights in different areas. Starting on Thursday and finish on Sunday.
Jim

For a series of overnighters, or 3 day/2 night trips I would suggest at least one trip in the Lows, Lila and Little Tupper (Round Lake/Rock Pond) area, especially if you want to keep the carries to a minimum.

Those are all popular for a reason, and I try to avoid putting in or taking out in proximity to a weekend. There are lots of site choices, but the potential for crowded parking and launch area tends to dissuade me from putting in or taking out on a Fri/Sat/Sun.

Now there are two. One an inch taller than the other and only two wire holding it together and it is just as secure.

image_zpsjltjcrk2.jpeg

image_zpslehofimz.jpeg

image_zpsl6ufgxth.jpeg

They will get a test doing some real cooking in the next couple of days. The route is still undecided but I'll give a report when we get back. Sunday night, the 7th is still open if anyone wants to meet up somewhere around Saranac Lake.
Tomorrow is the long about 9 hour drive.
Jim

Good luck, enjoy the trip. Low and little tupper won't be too busy on Thursday but as has been said before, the weekend will probably be packed. I'll be taking my girls up to lows in a couple weeks, Tuesday thru friday. Too bad we can't do it any earlier...

Jason

Argh! Wish I would've seen this post earlier...I would've joined you for sure :( haha next time.
Enjoy your trip!

Back