• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sylvania Wilderness

Reaction score
A wet, buggy canoe trip in the Sylvania Wilderness beats a dry, air-conditioned day in the rat race anytime. So off we paddled, with smiles in our hearts and bug nets on our heads. Located near Watersmeet in Upper Michigan on County Road 535, the Sylvania Wilderness has shorter and less rugged portages than those found in the BWCA, and the campsites are fairly large given that the undergrowth is minimal. On the downside, the Sylvania Wilderness is relatively small (30 sq. miles) in comparison to the BWCA (1,703 sq. miles). If you want to read a little more about it you are welcome to check it out here http://mamasbasecamp.blogspot.com/2015/05/sylvannia-wilderness-canoe-trip.html.

DSC05314.JPG

Deer.JPG

Read your blog report. Very nice trip. Gratifying to see that you have figured out how to include your daughter so that she enjoys canoe trips and the outdoors.
Regards,
Dave

I keep finding reasons to put off a short trip...G'Kids, patching the lawn, working on hobbies, and the bugs. Thanks for the wake up! Nice trip in spite of the bugs and weather, nice blog, signed up to follow your adventures.

I like paddling with kids, and have said that here a few times. We're on a second attempt to get my granddaughter down the Allagash this year, the first attempt four years ago didn't work out so well. Sometimes a kid's question is about something you've been overlooking for years.
Your blog was a nice read and sound like the Sylvania Wilderness was big enough.

That was a nice trip Mama, thanks for sharing. I like seeing your little fishing/cooking/paddling gal so keen for the adventure.
Bugs and foul weather are soon forgotten in such good company.

That weekend I was canoeing at Craig Lake State Park... was supposed to do 4 days and ended up only doing 3 due to the bugs. A rough hatch in the UP that's for sure. Very nice report tho!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Mama. I like your statement on your blog.
"A wet, buggy canoe trip in the Sylvania Wilderness beats a dry, air-conditioned day in the rat race anytime. "

Back