• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

super 8 to digital via Go Pro?

Reaction score
Is it possible to capture super 8 movies with a Go Pro or even a small Sony Cyber shot. I have a nice Allagash River trip from the 70's I would like to transfer and my first attempt was not very good.

I've done that with my family home movies that date from the '50's. I set up the screen and projector, then the video camera on a tripod. It took a couple tries to get everything set up so it didn't look distorted. I even recorded the sound of the projector for the full effect. We did about four or five reels and my son edited it all together. Made copies on disks and sent them of to my siblings. Still have about 15 rolls to do but don't have the time right now.
Jim

I'm guessing one of the problems with using newer digital recorders will be a difference in aspect ratio. Would make it tough to fill the frame properly. Everything nowadays seems to shoot in a wide format. Don't know what format Super 8 used but I'm guessing it wasn't as wide.

Alan

You can also buy a variety of devices that will allow you to convert from analog to digital. Basically, it plugs into the output of your camera and then into an input of your computer. They usually provide some sort of software to enable capture and then you can burn to dvd. If you are using a mac, you can often dump directly into Final Cut or whatever editing package you have. I'll try to find a good cheap one later tonight.

Oops, my bad, I just realized Super 8, not 8 mil......there are variable speed projectors that allow you to adjust frame rates, but for what you are trying to do, a simple video camera will work. The go pro will probably work fine.

Back