• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sunday snowshoe trip

Reaction score
Not to be outdone by all you guys, I decided that it was so nice out today that a winter hike on showshoes was in order. It was sunny, temp around -3, with not too much wind. I gathered up a bit of gear...stove, pot, tea pot, some water and food, snatched my shoes off the wall and piled into the car. Sadly, I had to borrow warm socks off of karin as all mine are at work. I got a hoodie from her too. I was glad of both of those later.
It was 11.00 when I left so I didnt want to waste a bunch of time driving. I went out by the dump where I knew there was a quad trail, and I had done a map recce to see what was in the back areas around there. It turned out great. Lots of big deep drifts...higher than a chain fence...and some skidoo trails to make it a bit easier.

I have an older pair of well used traditional snowshoes that need some lovin, but they still get the job done if I do my part. It took me a bit to get my technique back but it was not long before I was up to full turtle impulse power. Slow and steady. I probably went in about a km then found a nice out of the wind spot to brew up some tea and a pot of soup. All good in the hood. Sitting on my pack, eating soup and crackers, drinking tea and watching the crows and grouse fly around. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It occured to me that this would be a nice spot to overnight some time.

I managed to break my left binding when I got ready to head back so that was a bit of a bugger to rig up but not impossible. I need new bindings I guess. Mine are all leather and look pretty old. Anyway, the walk back was a bit colder going into the wind but it felt good. I stayed mostly down below the ridge out of the wind. I hit a couple of soft spots and ended up flopping around in the snow, but its all good fun eh. My jury rigged binding made it all the way back and I was home by 3.00.

Then out to the garage to hammer some tacks and varnish the freighter. It's good to be me.

Christy

Attachments

• photo6118.jpg
    photo6118.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6119.jpg
    photo6119.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6120.jpg
    photo6120.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6121.jpg
    photo6121.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6122.jpg
    photo6122.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6123.jpg
    photo6123.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6124.jpg
    photo6124.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6125.jpg
    photo6125.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6126.jpg
    photo6126.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6127.jpg
    photo6127.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6128.jpg
    photo6128.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6129.jpg
    photo6129.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6130.jpg
    photo6130.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
That looks like a lot of cold fun. We've had 2 storms back to back and hope to get the boys out tomorrow. The ATMP has to work so we're alone.

I got the boys out along the river behind house

Turns out we have a new neighbor. There's a beaver chew in the background and slides in the pics above and below.

Last edited:
A solar room for my wife. The house is oriented N-S and the living area in on the North end, she needs more light.

Back