• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Somewear: Another 2-way satellite messenger

Reaction score
Been researching the InReach Mini and Spot X and came across this relatively newly launched product, the Somewear. https://www.somewearlabs.com/

About the same size as the InReach Mini and the same price for the unit. Seems like it may have cheaper monthly data plans available. https://www.somewearlabs.com/data-plans

Uses Iridium satellite network. The battery life, if accurate, is incredible! (Claimed 1000 messages on a charge or 11 days with 10 minute tracking.

Except for the SOS function, which works directly from the device, it has to pair with a smart phone for 2 way messaging, weather reports, maps. (Although the InReach Mini can text without a phone, the reviews say you wouldn't want to try because the text entry method is terrible.

Seems like it is worthy of consideration if you want to bring a SOS and 2 way messaging device with you.

Last edited:
As a two-way device the fact it needs another device to function is a deal breaker for my usage.

Battery life is similar for an InReach.

InReach text entry is clunky, so what, 140 character messages are not that hard but may be critical during an emergency such as one where your phone has gone down the river. Also the ability to read incoming messages like the reply to your emergency request.

Iridium is the best network at the moment so that's good.

Connection fees are similar, the unlimited plan is cheaper.

I bought an inreach mini to replace my spot because I want to know things are ok at home. I will only be doing preset messages. I have it activated and it works as advertised and is super small and lite, but I am having trouble getting the advertised battery life when leaving it turned on. I will be turning it off most of the time to keep the charge up. I suspect that it drains it if it's not left where it gets a clear signal?

Back