• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Some thing "new"...

That is a very nice article and thanks for posting! To see Harry do the "rock-a-copter " is amazing in that he has had hip replacement. He is a fixture at Maine Canoe Symposium in June and offers quite a few clinics there

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Luke McNair is sure talented...the ocean surfing with a pole is pretty wild!

Great article!

I do most of my eddy turns a little differently than he describes. IIRC, it's described well in Harry Rock's book. Starts with the pole in a kayak grip sweeping on the downstream side, then extending that same end across the bow and into the eddy flow using the same grip. Even with a low-rocker boat, it really pulls you in and around. Sometimes pulls you out of the boat when learning it. ;)

I haven't had the nerve to make a real effort at the Rock-a-Copter yet. :D

Great article!

I do most of my eddy turns a little differently than he describes. IIRC, it's described well in Harry Rock's book. Starts with the pole in a kayak grip sweeping on the downstream side, then extending that same end across the bow and into the eddy flow using the same grip. Even with a low-rocker boat, it really pulls you in and around. Sometimes pulls you out of the boat when learning it. ;)

I haven't had the nerve to make a real effort at the Rock-a-Copter yet. :D

Do you have a title or link to that book Steve??

No Title

Doing the Rock A Copter over the thwart on the Blackwater River, NH. Not to hard to do and to date I haven't fallen in.

Attachments

• photo4362.jpg
    photo4362.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0
Just ordered The Basic Essentials of Canoe Poling. Good old Canoetripping.net, always keeping my credit cards busy!

Mem,

Fred Klingenger’s excellent Closet Rod Canoe Pole tutorial is worth a look if you are interested in building a first pole.

http://www.brockeng.com/AmusingRaven/pole.htm

I’m not a poler, but I’ve built a couple of those for my sons and friends, and it is an easy and inexpensive project. The hardest part is finding a decent closet rod pole. I checked them for grain and knots as suggested, and I also put one end on the floor at a 45 and tried to bend them; there was a huge difference in resistance and rigidity, even between similarly dense, straight grained closet rods.

I believe that Fred (or someone?) had a similar tutorial on building an aluminum pole. I built a couple of those as well, one from Texas Tower’s radio antenna struts and one from a flotsam-found aluminum sail boom.

Back