• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Solo Guideboat Design

Reaction score
I'm heading out to meet some friends in a few minutes, but I wanted to post this up quickly and see what everyone thinks. In one of my first posts on this site I alluded to a boat design I was working on. It is based on an Adirondack guideboat, which I am obviously a fan of, but suited specifically for solo tripping. I wanted it to fit in nicely with solo canoes. The main goal is to cut the guideboat weight down to solo canoe levels while still maintaining the speed and considerable seaworthiness.

So without further adieu, here is what I have so far. The hull will be cold molded out of 1/16" plywood (2 layers), but it could easily be strip built. I just want to try something different and see what kind of strength to weight ratio I can get with a cold molded hull. It will be glassed on the outside (S-glass) with a layer of Kevlar on the inside. Beam is 35". Length is just over 15'. LWL is right at 15'.

At 200 lbs displacement and a 3" waterline it has 19.8 ft^2 wetted area and a prismatic coefficient of 0.64. The total surface area of a Grant design guideboat is 58 ft^2. That is the main number I'm trying to cut down to conserve weight. For comparison a John Winters' Osprey or Kite is 47 ft^2. My design is 49 ft^2, so if built in the same style as an Osprey it should weigh just a little more. I don't have a full lines plan yet, but I'll post pictures of the station molds for now. More to come later. Also, don't expect to see a finished boat anytime soon. I am trying to spend more time this summer tripping instead of building, so it might not be until next year that I start construction. That said, if anyone is interested in building a strip version, you are more than welcome when I actually finalize the plans.

I'm forgetting so many details. Due to the reduced beam it will have minimal outriggers. The hull below the waterline is symmetrical but it is swede form above the waterline to carry the max beam as far back as possible for the oarlocks. Bow Height 18". Stern height 15". Amidships sheer 12". Rocker 1.5". More to come when I'm not so busy.

Attachments

• photo1947.jpg
    photo1947.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1946.jpg
    photo1946.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1948.jpg
    photo1948.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is going to make for an interesting build !
Love to see it !

Jim

Wow, that looks like a pretty round hull! Do you think it will have the stability of a solo canoe?

It definitely won't have the same initial stability as a solo canoe, but you sit much lower in a guideboat similar to a kayak. The seat will only be 4" or so off the bottom. Because of the flared hull it firms up as it lays over and when it's loaded heavier.

I'm looking forward to watching this come to life as I know very little about guideboats but they sound interesting.

Is the length/width proportions similar to a full sized guideboat?

What's the reasoning for the sharp entry in the bow above the water line? I see the full size guideboats have this too. I'd think a little flare would be preferable for wave shedding. They must have a good reason for building it this way. Does it make it less affected by wind?

Can you save me some research and briefly explain what cold molding is? I've heard it mentioned before but have never known exactly what process it refers to.

What software are you using for you designs? I've been using Delftship.

Alan

I've been asked not to post about guideboats anymore. Consider this thread closed.

Wait a minute !

First off who asked you to close the tread, and What was the reason for asking you ?

We followers have a right to know !

I've enjoyed your postings, and willingness to share ideas !

We need more !!!

Jim

Sorry but I have made this clear enough that this site is about Canoes and CanoeTripping. Not Skulls, Kayaks, Dory's, skiff's, Runabouts, Jonboats or Guideboats.

The bottom line if Canoes and tripping in Canoes are not what your interested in, this site is probably where you need to be. This is probably not what you want to hear but it's the way it is and will always be as long as I own the site.

Thanks Robin for being up front !

And I understand you need to draw a line ! Guide boats seem so close to me, but again I understand.

I am glad to find out it wasn't something else, because Muskrat has added some great building info that I appreciate !

If ever I CROSS the LINE , don't hesitate to wake me up !

This has been a HOT site for builders ! I've gained so much from the shared knowledge !

Sincerely

Jim

That's a shame Muskrat, it would have been an interesting build to see. I always like to see new methods of building to help give me ideas when I'm building canoes. Let us know where you post your build.

How about the WCHA site ?

I visit that, and post in their Stripper section every now and then.

Jim

Guideboats were originally developed in the Adirondacks...I know the members over at that "other" forum are genuinely interested in guidboats.
I would definitely like to see more of your guideboat build.

Thanks everyone. I'll post my builds at another site. Either the one stripperguy mentioned or boatdesign.net.

I enjoy tripping in and building canoes too. Probably half my time is devoted to that, and we have a great resource for that here, so I'll continue to post canoe related items here, as the site was intended. Us guideboaters are a bit of an orphaned lot, but I'll find a place or two.

I didn't mean to rock the boat *rimshot*

Back