• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

So, my Zav is too long.....

Reaction score
I've decided that I should shorten the shaft by at least a couple of inches. IIRC, the ZRE website has some instruction on that, but do any of you have additional tips from your experience?

I gradually heat mine with a heat gun hotter and hotter until I can finally twist the handle out. The first time I ever did it it came out like a charm. The next few times I thought something was going to break. One time the grip started to collapse and got a small split before it came out but that was a pretty old paddle. I think the newer ones have foam inside the grip so shouldn't be as prone to collapsing. Don't know when the foam starts to melt though.

I assume your grip is carbon and not plastic? I tried getting a plastic grip out once and couldn't do it without ruining the grip.

Alan

If you take 2+ inches, just cut the shaft with the grip still attach and then grind the carbon shaft off the grip with a rasp! These is the safest way to do it when you can. But you need to cut at least 2" off the shaft less than that and you will cut into the grip "shaft" itself!!

Back