• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Small Molds for Fire-In-A-Can Feeder Wax briquettes?

G

I need to make some small “feeder bricks” of wax for several Fire In A Can pots.

Those feeder bricks can be as crude as irregular-chunks, simply cutting/busting up some virgin wax sheets, or tossing in household candle leftovers, but I again want to make a few melted wax custom feeders with citronella, and some with some funky flames additive for trippy colored flame staring.

Maybe some with stare entranced at the funky flames color additive on the outside, and a small pile of black powder in the center as a surprising flare. Maybe not. Depends on how thoughtfully I imprint “STAND BACK” on the wax brick additives.

I need to find new wax-briquette molds. The plastic pipette tip boxes worked OK as feeder brick molds, but they were oversized for all but the largest stock pot FIACs, and I’m about out of My-Precious pipette tip boxes in any case. 35 years in the lab, why didn’t I scarf more of those from the trash? So freaking handy for small parts and pieces.

I need suggestions for new (cheap) containers in which to make smaller, still consistently sized feeder bricks. Small, cheap containers plural; there’s no sense making one briquette at a time when I’m pouring custom wax briquette flavors.

Maybe wax poured into an ice cube tray. Once the wax cooled those would go in the freezer nicely, and once frozen I might be able to knock out cube-sized feeders. Or some other inexpensive, re-usable containers for, at the largest, bar-of-soap-sized feeder molds.

Lots of additives and flavors to choose from. I have Citronella oil, Funky Flames, and several year’s stash of the Missus’ saved candle stubs, mostly the last couple inches of fat scented candles from bow window and bathrooms.

The feeder bricks labeled “Frou-Frou” may be a scented wax mixture of leftover Lavender, Gardenia, and something labeled “Jamaica Breeze”. Which I believe smells like a Caribbean beachfront mix of sea air, dead fish and sticky-icky.

Any ideas for cheap/reusable containers to pour melted wax feeders, something between ice cube and bath soap size? Small-ish is good; it’s fun to repeatedly feed the flames, especially with the occasional WTF mystery wax cube.

Recped has the same idea I did .... how about ice cube trays, you buy those in just about any size, shape etc and I suspect they wouldn't be expensive

What about egg cartons?

I need to be able to pop the feeder bricks free of the container without any paper or Styrofoam bits clinging attached. It is best to add nothing but wax as feeder material; a friend tossed his peanut shells on one and dang near killed it. Wax only.

How about buying tea lights? They are very cheap, pre-filled with wax and when you pop out the wax to use as feeder cubes, the metal holders are just the right size for refill. Although, frankly, you probably can't buy the wax cheaper than buying more tea lights.

I’d have to do the wax cost math. I have a lot of wax available in the shop. Candlewick had 10 lb slabs of (IIRC) 145F melt-point wax on sale in sixty pound boxes at a clearance price.

Wax I got, including 30 lbs of those virgin wax slabs, a several year collection of fat scented stubs, and a couple dozen used religious service candles, received in the mail anonymously (I still wonder from whom).

The wax melt point makes a difference, and those teenytiny tea candles can last for 6 hours. Must be some high-melt point wax, and at $3 for a fifty pack might be worth making a batch of long-lasting high-melt fillers.

I have a small muffin tin that I used.

Oh heck freaking yeah, that’s it. A muffin tin would make the ideal size feeder briquettes, with sundry additives. With a metal one (sounds like the Goodwill store item) I could fill the compartments, freeze them and probably just pop them out. If need be position the tin inverted, and a little heat gun or propane torch action on the backside should drop the cubes free.

I really like Recped’s silicon muffin tin idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Non...ocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-305794307691&psc=1

That silicone stuff is amazing, even as flat grill sheets licked by flames over an open fire grill. It was worth getting a couple silicone sheets, to help keep the Purcell Trench grill un-grimed by fats and oils, and in developed sites to lay atop the always rusty fire grill.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lot-of-2...hguid=6ab65226-36f-169693108da445&athena=true

I expect the wax briquettes would pop out from that silicone mold easily

I feel another shop experiment coming on.

I tossed in the chocolate molds because they come in a greater variety of shapes and sizes.......and oh yeah....I LIKE chocolate!

Now all you need to do it find some FREE ones because I know you really like FREE (almost as much as I like chocolate?).

These might be a nice choice......

https://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Sil.../dp/B01LZAUE4R

If that's not your "thing" then maybe this one is more appropriate.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAXAI7I

I tossed in the chocolate molds because they come in a greater variety of shapes and sizes. These might be a nice choice......

https://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Sil.../dp/B01LZAUE4R

Gee, that chocolate mold is just what I need. Once used the FIAC has a peculiar odor even with virgin wax. I see some explaining to do when I go through Customs or an inspection station with those embossed briquettes in the FIAC sack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ43__Aul3o

Maybe a chocolate mold shaped like a grenade. With some black powder additive. My paternal grandfather was a Customs Agent in up-State NY in the 30’s. His soul would get a laugh out of that episode.

Now all you need to do it find some FREE ones because I know you really like FREE

I do like free, free is good, but I (now stupidly) discovered that I threw away our old ice cube trays a few years ago

Cheap is almost as good, and a visit to the Goodwill should eventually turn up a muffin tin and ice cube trays.

I ordered a silicone muffin pan and have a feeling that will be the easiest of the lot to plop out wax feeder briquettes.

It has been a while since I needed to make any feeder bricks but like my big roasting pan rig I believe I put the muffing tin in a something like sheet cake pan with water. Throw in the rough lumps of wax and let them melt right in the tin, add wax as needed. I may even put it directly into the freezer for a quick hardening. It was winter so maybe it just went outside. No pouring hot wax that way.
Jim

Feeder briquettes coming as soon as I have a less windy day to run the Coleman stove outside.

I found a deep 12 muffin tin at Goodwill for $2. It is heavy duty and nicer than the one in our kitchen . And a two-pack of ice cube trays at Wallyworld, likewise for $2. Those along with a few pipette tip boxes should make a nice variety of wax briquettes.

Back