• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Seat Frame Mortise

Reaction score
I've built my own seats from the git go, and I thought I'd share how I do them.

​ I like them strong, so I cut a mortise to accept the cross members.
Here's a few pics.
IMG_1360_zpsros6d0pb.jpg

I cut the mortise with a dado blade on my tablesaw, before I cut out the frames.

IMG_1358_zpsqx60874k.jpg

I'll post a pic of my drill system tomorrow.

PictureofBaileyschair201_zps299367f1.jpg

Jim

Jim, looks like you're using 5/4 for the curved parts and 4/4 for the cross members? Thanks for showing this, I wondered how you did your seats, they look comfortable. Looking forward to the rest.

Mark

Jim, I am guessing that the photo above is at the test fit stage? Or do you round the edges and sand it smooth after glue up?

Jason

Mark
​ Yes 5/4 ash. The pic makes them look massive, but after I work them down, they are still heavy. They haven't let me down yet.:eek:

Jason
​ Yes it is just test fit now. I'll chamfer the holes, and some router work before glue up. I drill one small hole through the joint, to pin everything together.

Jim

So how are you keeping the holes parallel to each other and not have one side lower then the other during the drilling?

Or is eyeball close enough?

Last edited:
So how are you keeping the holes parallel to each other and not have one side lower then the other during the drilling?

Or is eyeball close enough?

​ I'm not sure what you mean ?

​ The holes don't need to be parallel to each other. I hold the frame tight to the fence, and line up the marks, then drill.
​ The holes that are far left or right of center. Those holes will be at a slightly different angle, than the center one, but not enough to worry about.

Jim

I thought I'd update this thread with a recent pic of a finished seat, installed.

IMG_2548_zpsqcfktpqk.jpg

IMG_2548_zpsqcfktpqk.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jim, where do you get those long bolts? Stainless I assume, and what size are they?

Mark

I ordered 6 or 7" stainless 1/4" Carriage bolts from Fastenal. They are spendy, and as you can see plenty long !

They weren't cheap, maybe $20 for 4.
I'm sure 10 x 24 stainless is about the same from Marine suppliers.

Jim

Jim,
I looked at their site, I'm not seeing any neoprene lacing...Am I missing it somehow??
I used to use that synthetic lacing for many years, until my semi-local source (Havlick Snowshoe Co.) disappeared.
I've been unsuccessful finding another source.

Jim,
I looked at their site, I'm not seeing any neoprene lacing...Am I missing it somehow??
I used to use that synthetic lacing for many years, until my semi-local source (Havlick Snowshoe Co.) disappeared.
I've been unsuccessful finding another source.

They only have Nylon and Babche.

Have you seen Neoprene in lacing form ?

Jim

Jim, it’s good to see so many old build threads resurrected, there is a lot of valuable information there.

Question about the carriage bolt length – is the excess bolt end sticking out below the seat frame there to provide the bolt length needed to change out the seat drops for something akin to a sit on the bottom style pack canoe arrangement?

Jim,
Somehow I got the impression that they (or you) had neoprene lacing, I guess not.
I used to buy this synthetic lacing that was neoprene-nylon-neoprene, slit to 1/4" wide x however long. Used to buy it by the foot. It looked like natural lacing, never sagged, provided great support and comfort, and was waterproof.
I saw your link and thought I had rediscovered the Holy Grail...

Back