• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

SealLine Seal Pak Waterproof Hip Pack

Reaction score
This is a review for the SealLine Seal Pack Waterproof Hip Pack used as a bow bag in a Wenonah MN II.
We modified this pack by putting a 1/8" shock cord toggle on the two d-rings that are on the bag.
This toggle wraps around the front carrying handle.
It works well for the bow person's ( my wife's) GPS, cell phone, sunglasses, etc.
It is not very large in capacity but it holds all that we need it for.
It has been in some heavy rains but never completely submerged.
For us, the waterproof ability is just fine. For others, the top seal may not suffice if submerged.
The front zippered pocket is a nice little feature.
It is very durable and a nice weight.
We have not used it as a fanny pack but it works fine as a shoulder bag when needed.
As far as using it as a deck bag, it is out of the way, easy to access and secure.

Attachments

• photo3079.jpg
    photo3079.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3080.jpg
    photo3080.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3081.jpg
    photo3081.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3082.jpg
    photo3082.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3083.jpg
    photo3083.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 0
I solo travel and found this hip pack ridiculously small even for a ditch bag. I could not fit in fire starter lighter plastic for shelter GPS compass basic map first aid kit sunglasses etc
It needs to be 50 percent larger. You can have mine

This is a review for the SealLine Seal Pack Waterproof Hip Pack used as a bow bag in a Wenonah MN II.
It works well for the bow person's ( my wife's) GPS, cell phone, sunglasses, etc.
It is not very large in capacity but it holds all that we need it for.
It has been in some heavy rains but never completely submerged.
For us, the waterproof ability is just fine. For others, the top seal may not suffice if submerged.

That is a nice solution for a bow bag.

Back when we paddled tandem we tried a variety of small bags hung from the bow deck plate or gunwales, including fanny packs, although none of them were waterproof. They held non-waterproofy stuff; sun screen, sun glasses, flashlight, compass, etc.

In the stern or solo I likewise tried a variety of “essentials” bags. Those were all more voluminous; the essentials that I want near and easy to hand are considerable, and anything that needed to be waterproofed (mini first aid, Swiss Army knife/Leatherman, smokeables) went in that bag in its own waterproof pouch.

I wanted that essentials bag to be accessibly convenient in camp as well. The non-rigid stuff was a floppy PITA in that guise, without a defined bottom to sit in the dirt and duff. Underseat storage systems and thwart bags were equally unsatisfactory.

What I finally settled o as a solo or stern essentials container was a small soft-shell cooler.

Cheap, ubiquitously available, built-in flotation and largely waterproof against rain, splash or bilgewater.

The cheap and ubiquitous criteria were critical. Over time I discovered what was important to me in an essentials bag. It needed to be narrow enough to pull towards me between my feet and legs, have a side pouch and, since it was by necessity long and narrow, have access entry from both ends so I didn’t have to dig blindly deep into the innards.

I found a weird PolarJacket 12 pack cooler, 14 long x 6” wide, that was designed to load cans from a wide opening back and dispense them from a can-sized front opening.

The long green container beside the white bucket:

That cheapo container is still going strong after 10 years of abuse. Even the zippered end, which is amazing considering the salt water drenching it has endured.

If I could find another I’d buy a spare in a heartbeat.

(Likewise those squat barrel-shaped screw top buckets. Those were from a west coast laboratory that relocated and I snagged every one they emptied. Those are superior in every way to pail shaped \_/ buckets)

Back