• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Rio Frio Texas (Video)

Reaction score
I spent a few days on the Frio River west of San Antonio this last week. I was hoping to get in another river, but the cold front followed me down there and put me out of commission for a few days. I highly recommend the Frio if anyone is in the area. There are only about 40 miles total, but it makes a nice two or three day trip. I was the only one on the river even though my last day was in the upper 60s in December. All of the outfitters close at the end of September minus one that stays open through November. Most of the traffic down there is tubes or kayak day trips. It took some time to find a shuttle, but Andy's on River Road came through in a big way and took me up the road. I think most people thought I was prank calling them.

The river is spring fed, clear and glacial blue, runs through some small canyons and varies from wide open and shallow to very narrow bordered with bald cypress with many cypress' growing right in the river which makes for some interesting navigation. I camped at a state park halfway down so most of the gear stayed there. I was glad to not have any extra weight as the river was very shallow in spots, I used the pole 95% of the time, there was really no use for a paddle except for some long slow pools. There are many low water bridges and a few waterfalls that require portaging, but I don't think I had to carry more than 50 yards at the most.

After getting off the water, Mike's Cafe in Leakey makes some excellent chicken fried steaks. I highly recommend. There's nothing like eating a couple thousand calories in one sitting immediately after a trip.

I posted a couple videos on my youtube page. There is some foul language at the end of the longer video after my canoe came to a sudden stop and I smashed my shins on the carry yoke, but for full disclosure I thought I should include when I crashed and burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbiK3Z8VJtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17M7aOEvGSA

Enjoyed the videos, low water and lost of scraping sounds with the paddle. I do the same thing with the pole as you do, dragging it to get on line and hooking onto rocks as well, that's what I thought you're doing from the video. dang, that got narrow in some spots. Thank you for posting it. At -20 or so with windchill right now it looked very inviting!

dougd

Beautiful river, not what I expect when I think of Texas rivers. Nice work with the pole. With the water levels it looks like that was a good way to go.

Alan

Thanks guys.

dougd Yeah, I drag the pole when I'm moving fast, it slows me down a little while I adjust course. Also there are a lot of spots on that river that were smooth limestone shelfs, so there isn't much the pole will stick to, dragging is about all the brakes I can put on there.

Alan Gage The pole was definitely the way to go, at least with my skill level. I would have been bouncing off rocks left and right with a paddle. Most of the video comes from farther down the river. Up top there were lots of long deep pools between drops. Paddle would have been nice there, but I just kayaked the pole instead of switching.

Thanks Muskrat, that was a fun little river to run. I've never really poled or snubbed before, so I was leaning all over my chair as I watched. We both did really well down the Rio.

Excellent or should I say "out standing" (in a canoe). I always think of Texas having brackish slow moving water with long horn cows at every curve, who knew. Very nice.

Nice videos.

I like the water clarity on the Frio.

The solo mutterances of “Oh crap” are familiar to anyone who has looked ahead and questioned their line.

“When will I learn not to stand in a f%$#ing canoe” not so much. I have tried poling and this old dog with a poor sense of balance isn’t learning that new trick. I might as well just throw myself out of the canoe repeatedly.

About the cold front. Texas is weird. I got hammered by an ice storm in Big Bend and I could see Mexico 50 feet away across the river.

Yes, the clear waters captivated me immediately. As has been mentioned, not at all what I expected to see in Texas. (Having no idea what the Lone Star state looks like, except in movies, but have always wanted to visit.) The river bottom looked like shelves of limestone. Cool, clear and shallow enough little river to like getting wet. Might even swim all the way to Mexico.
http://www.texasescapes.com/TRIPS/Swimming_to_Mexico/Swiming_to_Mexico_I/swimming_to_mexico_ptI.htm
Thanks Muskrat. Yours will be one of my winter escape videos until the big thaw.

Thanks everybody, glad you all liked the video. The clear water was one of the main reasons I picked the Frio. From my research it is the clearest in the state. I'd love to go back when the cypress still have leaves. If anyone is interested I found out about the Frio from Southwestpaddler. Pretty much where I start my research for my entire paddling region. Lots of good information for trip planning.

http://www.southwestpaddler.com/docs/frio.html

Alan if you ever do a winter trip on the Rio Grande, let me know, after this trip I'm ready for some more Texas rivers.

Back