• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Rideau Canal, Canada

Reaction score
Looks like all the stars are aligning for a thru paddle of the Rideau canal in Ontario next summer. Anyone else out there that has done this? Trip report or advice? Also looking for end to end shuttle options other than the one I have found. Thanks in advance.

Hello!

I have paddled parts of the canal many times in the Ottawa to Merrickville area- and two through paddles Kingston to Ottawa, the last time in August 2013 as part of a large brigade of Voyageur canoes.

As the Rideau Canal is operated by Parks Canada, the locks are staffed by fulltime and seasonal Parks staff. Each lock is an adventure- talk to the lockkeepers! The locks have varying hours of operation depending upon the season, mid summer 9am to 9pm. You need a pass travel through the locks- but not necessary if you want to portage them!. Each of the locks has washrooms and picnic tables; as this is Parks Canada you can camp at the locks. As well as camping at the locks, there are a couple of large provincial parks along the route: Rideau River Provincial Park near Kemptville and Murphy's Point on Big Rideau ( watch out for Poison Ivy!!!) There are also a number of good private campgrounds including one right at the Smith Falls marina downtown. Camping does get a little trickier when you get to Ottawa but I camped at the Hogs Back lock 15 years ago.

Depending upon the time of year you travel, you may see many along the route or few. Busiest time will be July 1 to August 15th.

There are spots along the route that you'll feel like you're in the middle of nowhere- and then you go through downtown Smiths Falls and Ottawa. Lots of small towns on the route to get provisions, stretch your legs, including Westport, Newboro, Smiths Falls, Merrickville, Mannotick and Seeleys Bay. There are canoe outfitters/supply shops in Kingston (Trailhead!), Smiths Falls, Merrickville, Ottawa at least.

From my perspective the most interesting part to paddle is the southern section from Kingston Mills to Newboro- this section is in the Canadian Shield with a number of interconnected rivers and lakes. There are a few large lakes that can be challenging in difficult weather- the Rideau Lakes especially aren't much fun in strong winds. And though the entire waterway is fairly well populated, the most cottager/ pleasure boat traffic you'll see will be in the Rideau Lakes and when you get closer to Ottawa. From Merrickville you follow the wide Rideau River through farmland to Ottawa.

An interesting side trip just outside Smiths Falls is to take the Beveridge Locks up to Perth, a very well preserved downtown full of 150 year old limestone buildings.

My favourite spots along the canal in no particular order:
Jones Falls Lock
Yellow Canoe cafe in Merrickville( and just about anywhere else in this very quaint town)
Newboro Lock and town
ByTown Museum and locks 1-8 descending to the Ottawa River. Do it ( as long as you don't mind being the stars of hundreds of tourists photos!!!)

Sorry I can't help with the shuttle- I've never needed one. There are a number of canoe clubs in the area: Rideau Canoe Club- you paddle right past their boathouse at the Hogs Back;RA Canoe Camping Club; Cataraqui Canoe Club in Kingston. Any of these may be able to help you with info on logistics.

Let me know if there is any other way i can assist.
Good luck and have fun.

​​​​​​​Bruce

Back