• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Replacing cane seats

G

I had some extra time last week so I decided it was time to replace the cane on my Old Town Canadienne. The PO gave me two new cane sets so I had everything I needed to get going and all I had to do was remove the old cane and spline. Not an easy job! After some awkward attempts, I took the seat out and set it up properly on my work area. I had to grind down the width of an old 1/4" wood chisel so it would fit in the spline groove. The cane and spline were so rotten that it was coming out in little pieces. Also there was plenty of glue in the groove which did not help. After an hour or more I had it all out, I sanded down the seat frame and I will do the same for the front seat. I am new to canoeing and everything that goes with it, so if anybody has any advice on putting in the new cane and spline I would love to hear your experince. The new cane came with some short instructions and I will try to youtube anything I can find. Thanks! beck

Removing splines is tedious. I am growing tired of replacing cane seats. Latest acquisition is a used Wenonah Cascade with the woven nylon seats. They seem like a good replacement for the cane seats. On a Canadienne or w/c canoe, the cane seats are the only thing that really "looks right."

Yes, I understand what your saying and I want to the keep the canoe original. Heck, its already 30 years old and maybe these seats will last for a good while.

Back